[OT] Memory for mobile phone

Old November 27th 08, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
Don

Default [OT] Memory for mobile phone

I have two questions about memory for (1) cellphones and for (2) USB
drives.

When I build a PC I always use branded quality memory such as Crucial.
Low grade PC memory can take hours of debugging when it starts to fail
and is poor value in the long run.

On the other hand, is that true for ...

(1) MicroSD memory for my Nokia 6100 phone? Is memory in that sort of
form factor and handsets more tolerant of low grade memory? In other
words, could I just choose Nokia 6100 memory based on price rather than
brand?

(2) memory used in a USB pen drives (thumb drives)? Perhaps this memory
is slower than RAM which gives more time for effective error correction
- or something like that? So again, can I buy USB pen drives on price
rather than brand.

Of course, I don't mean to buy pure garbage memory or take a chance on
eBay of memory reflashed to show a false capacity.

If it's relevant, I'm in the UK.

Thanks.
Old November 27th 08, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
ChrisM

In message ,
Don Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

[...]

I believe that some of the cheaper stuff is a bit slower, so that may be an
issue...

Simple answer is it depends...
Speaking for myself, if it's just to store a few downloaded ringtones, MP3s
from my PC or snaps of mates getting drunk(or whatever - I mean photos that
won't make you cry if you lose them...), then I wouldn't worry too much
about the 'quality' of the memory however, if it was critical documents, or
I was saving stuff on my memory card/USB drive that would be difficult or
expensive to replace, I'd be happier with branded memory rather than cheap
generic stuff...

--
Regards,
Chris.

Old November 27th 08, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
Dave[_34_]

"Don" wrote in message
I have two questions about memory for (1) cellphones and for (2) USB
drives.

When I build a PC I always use branded quality memory such as Crucial.
Low grade PC memory can take hours of debugging when it starts to fail
and is poor value in the long run.

On the other hand, is that true for ...

(1) MicroSD memory for my Nokia 6100 phone? Is memory in that sort of
form factor and handsets more tolerant of low grade memory? In other
words, could I just choose Nokia 6100 memory based on price rather than
brand?

Mobile phones can be picky, regardless of brand. However, I bought a 2GB
MicroSD chip with two adapters (including USB) for my Nokia 6085 for about
$7 US recently and it works great.

I bought a 2GB version of the link above. The 4GB version linked above WILL
NOT WORK for a nokia 6100. But I like this as I can pop it out of the phone
and plug it into the computer.

(2) memory used in a USB pen drives (thumb drives)? Perhaps this memory
is slower than RAM which gives more time for effective error correction
- or something like that? So again, can I buy USB pen drives on price
rather than brand.

OK, for a USB thumb drive, brand DOES matter. The problem isn't the memory
itself, but the interface. In other words, the RAM is no good if your
computer can't read/write to it. You want a USB thumb drive that is easily
recognized (automatically, with no drivers required) by windows or linux or
whatever you are running. Stick to name brands and read reviews. -Dave

Old November 27th 08, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
Jon B

Don wrote:

[...]

I think brand still has some relevency. Seen some speed tests which
shows some very big differences in USB stick performance.

I've also seen this first hand, when I got my N73, some of the menus and
the camera were god awful slow, I'd bought a 1gb card off eBay. After a
while it slowly ground to a halt whenever trying the camera. I bought a
Sandisk card off a retailer and the whole phone was completely
different. Much more responsive, and I've also seen those differences in
usb pen speeds first hand.

It's enough that I now won't go for the outright cheapest, £2 for an
unknown, or £3 for the Sandisk [1], is small enough difference that I'll
go for the Sandisk. Not bothered about having the 'fastest', but at
least having a decent & reliable card.

[1] Or Kingston or Crucial etc etc.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
Old November 27th 08, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
david

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:59:57 +0000, Don rearranged some electrons to say:

[...]

Flash memory, such as that in USB sticks, and phones, is a completly
different technology than dynamic RAM used as computer main memory.
Old November 27th 08, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
Rob

"Don" wrote in message
[...]

For USB memory sticks, you are usually better off with branded,
especially for larger sizes. Research the read and write speeds
before buying - an 8GB thumbdrive with slow access is pretty
much useless, unless you don't mind waiting an hour or two to fill
it, and some cheapo ones require a driver - how stupid is that!?..
Good suppliers always list the read and write speeds for flash-
memory based products.

HTH,
--
Rob

Old November 27th 08, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
Synapse Syndrome[_2_]

Don wrote:

(1) MicroSD memory for my Nokia 6100 phone? Is memory in that sort of
form factor and handsets more tolerant of low grade memory? In other
words, could I just choose Nokia 6100 memory based on price rather than
brand?

Are you sure you meant Nokia 6100? I used to have one of those, and you
cannot add any memory to it (not as though any extra memory would be that
useful, anyway).

ss.

Old November 28th 08, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
Ric[_2_]

Default Memory for mobile phone

On 27 Nov, 10:59, Don wrote:
[...]

No, it doesn't really matter, with a couple of caveats:

1) (mini/micro)SD memory over 4GB is usually SDHC. Not all devices
can recognise SDHC which is a newer, higher capacity SD format (this
is what the HC stands for). Hence if you want 4GB, check your device
supports SDHC.
There are a very small number of non-SDHC larger cards, but they're
quite rare.
2) it is possible to buy "fake" SD memory which is frigged to appear
larger than it really is. It's pretty rare though and I've no
problems whatsover buying memory from eBay, and have done so many
times. Just look for good feedback. The stuff's so cheap now that
it's not really a problem.
3) SD cards come in a variety of speeds. It's unlikely to matter in a
phone - this is mainly important in things like digi cameras where
speed of write is important.
4) all the issues of timing/spd/cas etc that can cause problems with
SDRAM or DDRAM etc don't apply to USB storage.

Old December 5th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.telecom.mobile
Don

On Thu 27 Nov08 23:46, Appollo wrote
"Don" wrote in message

I have two questions about memory for (1) cellphones and for (2) USB
drives.

So why don't you go to the CORRECT GROUP and ask?
Why post here when you know your question has nothing to do
with this group? I would really like to know that.

Hello Appollo

Sorry for the delay. I hadn't realised you were replying to me. I've
posted to three relevant groups. I believe the RFC recommends doing it
this way.

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
uk.comp.homebuilt
uk.telecom.mobile

When I build a PC I always use branded quality memory such as
Crucial.

Why? I have never known a problem with any other make apart from
when the wrong type is used and people will not admit to it.

I have learnt poor quality memory can fail temporarily. This is so much
so that 3rd parties have written memory testing utilities. At a guess I
suspect these authors are reasonably familiar with memory problems.
Maybe you haven't come across the same sort of problems as they have.

Low grade PC memory can take hours of debugging when it starts to
fail and is poor value in the long run.

I doubt you even know what that means, tell us all what you
understand the term "debugging" means in relation to memory.

I think it is important not to have too narrow a view or try to mind-read
a questioner. By "debugging" I refer to the whole series of step required
to determine an intermittent fault with a PC. Memory faults are hard to
locate because they start a cascade of error codes and the user will
typically see only the last few which are not likely to indicate the
original hardware fault.

On the other hand, is that true for ...

(1) MicroSD memory for my Nokia 6100 phone?

Is what true for what?

I must have confused you when I numbered the points. Let me run the text
into a single glissando ...

Low grade PC memory can take hours of debugging when
it starts to fail and is poor value in the long run.
On the other hand, is that true for [the] MicroSD
memory for my Nokia 6100 phone?"

I can explain it a little bit mo I state that low grade PC memory is
poor value in the long run (on account of its problematic performance)
and I ask if that poor value consideration holds true for MicroSD memory
of the sort that I have in my Nokia phone.

BTW you may not have spotted it but there is an error in the model number
of the Nokia. It should be 6300.

Is memory in that sort of
form factor and handsets more tolerant of low grade memory?

The phone doesn't care so long as you install the correct type and
specification of memory. It's when people use the wrong type or
break it with static or incorrect handling that problems occur.

I guess you're saying there is never a problem with failing or untested
memory. That is interesting because it's not a point of view I have
heard before. I had assumed that it was accepted that poor quality
memory could cause faults but I left open the possibility that the
cellphone would place less demands on its memory than a PC would and
therefore may not be as prone to problems from glitching memory.

In other words, could I just choose Nokia 6100 memory based
on price rather than brand?

I have never known a brand of memory called Nokia 6100.

I see you're easily confused. I am using "Nokia 6100" as a qualifier of
the type of memory I am referring to. You must have only been able to
read it as if "Nokia 6100" were a brand descriptor. Naughty boy! For
punishment write your own name spelt correctly. :-)

Choose the
correct type and specification for the phone. Most sensible people
will choose whatever is cheapest.

I had felt most sensible people would prefer to choose the best quality
for the lowest price if only they knew which product represented that
blend. You're saying they need only buy the cheapest.

(2) memory used in a USB pen drives (thumb drives)?

I think your own memory is glitching! I'll explain the convention. To
understand a heading with a number "2" you need to go back to the bit
before the number "1". Let me show you.

"Low grade PC memory can take hours of debugging when
it starts to fail and is poor value in the long run.
On the other hand, is that true for ... memory used
in a USB pen drives"

Oops silly me. At the end I put in an extra letter "s", just as you have
done on a long-term basis with your name. Still, I'm sure if we persist
we can sort this one out.

What? Your multiple choice question cut and pasted probably from
your homework doesn't read correctly in English.
Do you know what a USB pen drive is used for!

You ask: "Do you know what a USB pen drive is used for!" Yes it is used
as extra memory for a PC and is attached via the USB port.

That's the whole idea behind using the "1" and "2" which has foxed you so
much. "1" is *different* to "2". They are not supposed to be the same!

Oh dear, I'm getting tired explaining how to read writing.

Perhaps this memory
is slower than RAM which gives more time for effective error
correction - or something like that?

So you really don't have a clue what you're talking about,

I beg to differ. RAM memory is working with very short clock cycles and
its speed and accuracy are important factors in the way the system
performs. OTOH USB memory mimics ATA storage devices and they deliver or
save data at a slower rate.

which is
why you also haven't a clue what "debugging" means in the context of
your own statement.

I don't mention debugging here but for sure I don't mean what Grace
Hopper meant nor do I refer to locating errors in the high-level
instructions of a programming language.

Explain how error correction works in RAM
alone. This should be interesting.

It probably is very interesting toyou but there is too little time and
space and it represents an unnecessary diversion. Here is a whole
article if you're quite as interested as you say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_correction

For myself, I have to confess I don't really need to know the internal
workings of a memory chip to ask at which price point I should aim when I
seek to get trouble-free memory.

So again, can I buy USB pen drives on price
rather than brand.

Buy what you like, but why pay more for a fancy brand name. You
obviously don't realise that a lot of electrical items have the same
circuits inside but different cases and names. The same goes for
cars - a Skoda Fabia is a VW Golf with a much cheaper price.

I think you may err here. I think you are comparing two very similar
designs but assume that construction and quality control are done under
two identical regimes.

It's like buying a Liebherr refrigerator and then assuming that it is the
same quality as Miele simply because Liebherr manufacture for Miele. This
overlooks that Liebherr will built to different levels of quality
depending on the client's requirements.

Of course, I don't mean to buy pure garbage memory or take a chance
on eBay of memory reflashed to show a false capacity.

You can certainly talk garbage!

Yes, I feel am in good company on that one. However I have made my
clarifications and hope you're now able to answer my questions. I would,
if I may say so, just compare if anyone else had such problems with
reading comprehension in this thread and then draw your own conclusions
as to what further assistance you may need to seek.

Old November 8th 11, 04:59 PM
nagma nagma is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for sharing......................