DIY Bluetooth

Old March 8th 05, 11:18 PM
Veritech

Default DIY Bluetooth

I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my computer
case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the
opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may
cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.

Thanks

--
"Blu-Ray"
2600+Sempron (O/C @1.924Ghz)

Old March 9th 05, 12:06 AM
kony

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:18:20 GMT, "Veritech"
wrote:

I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my computer
case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the
opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may
cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.

Thanks

No but there's a good chance it'll interfere with the
performance of the bluetooth, which should be as far away
from metal as realistically possible.
Old March 9th 05, 05:37 PM
Jerry G.

The Bluetooth would perform better when outside of the PC case. A metal
computer case will attenuate its output a little, thus decreasing its range.

I found that the Bluetooth can make some interference on celliar, and 2.4
GHz phones, when in close proximity to it. I have not seen it do any other
types of interference.

--

Jerry G.
======

Old March 10th 05, 04:27 AM
Peter Wilkins

wrote :

I wanted to buy a USB bluetooth adapter, and hook it up inside my =

computer=20
case(via the internal usb ports, using a pci bracket header), on the=20
opposite side of the motherboard tray. I was just wondering if this may=20
cause any interference with any of the other components in my system.

I don't think that's a very good idea: with a desktop there is no real
disadvantage to having the adapter external, and considerable benefits
in antenna performance. Enclosed inside a steel case, the signal may
not even reach your bluetooth mouse!

I do use an internal bluetooth adapter in my laptop, but it is
purpose-built and uses antennas built into the screen housing.

--=20
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Old March 10th 05, 11:09 AM
Veritech

Thanks for all the replys

I think i'm gonna give it try, i got a couple of places that i want to try
out
including behind the empty drive bays with should eliminate the
interference from the steel case.

I move my case around alot and it would be nice if that(adapter) was one
less thing to worry about, thought about pcmcia bluetooth card but at £70
without the pci adapter i don't like that idea.

Thanks again

Old March 11th 05, 05:06 AM
Peter Wilkins

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:09:06 GMT, "Veritech"
wrote :

Thanks for all the replys

I think i'm gonna give it try, i got a couple of places that i want to =

try=20
out including behind the empty drive bays with should eliminate the=20
interference from the steel case.

It wasn't interference I was concerned about - it was the ability of
the radio signal to get out of the steel box. Behind an empty drive
slot could be a good spot, if there is the usual plastic cover over
the hole, it will let the signal get out.

I move my case around alot and it would be nice if that(adapter) was one=

=20
less thing to worry about, thought about pcmcia bluetooth card but at =

=A370=20
without the pci adapter i don't like that idea.

Yeah, but the adapters are pretty small, and just plug into a USB
port, no real problem at all. I've got a spare one that came with my
MS bluetooth mouse that I didn't need coz I had bluetooth built-in,
and it's only a couple of cm long and a bit wider than the USB socket,
and needs no external PSU.

Anyway, best of luck - it's always fun to try something new.
--=20
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Old March 11th 05, 02:13 PM
kony

wrote :

Thanks for all the replys

I think i'm gonna give it try, i got a couple of places that i want to try
out including behind the empty drive bays with should eliminate the
interference from the steel case.

It wasn't interference I was concerned about - it was the ability of
the radio signal to get out of the steel box. Behind an empty drive
slot could be a good spot, if there is the usual plastic cover over
the hole, it will let the signal get out.

It's not merely a matter of letting the signal get out, but
of signal strength. Signal strength might be sub-optimal
even if the device were locationed in best possible place,
but recessing it inside a metal housing is asking for
trouble.

I move my case around alot and it would be nice if that(adapter) was one
less thing to worry about, thought about pcmcia bluetooth card but at £70
without the pci adapter i don't like that idea.

Yeah, but the adapters are pretty small, and just plug into a USB
port, no real problem at all. I've got a spare one that came with my
MS bluetooth mouse that I didn't need coz I had bluetooth built-in,
and it's only a couple of cm long and a bit wider than the USB socket,
and needs no external PSU.

They often work best when connected to a USB extension cord.