Disk Drive Problem

Old May 16th 17, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Disk Drive Problem

II want to burn an audio CD on my W7 PC with its single DVD RW drive.
I am having problems. Although the BIOS recognizes the internal*disk
drive, and will boot from it, W7 will not recognize the drive at
all.** Strangely,* file explorer shows a strange disk drive P, but it
never works.* Keeps saying 'Insert a disk' even tho there is a disk in
the one*internal drive.* I opened the box and replaced the internal
DVDRW drive connection (which is SATA8) with another DVDRW drive.* The
BIOS acts the same, and the drive again will boot.* However file
explorer now shows a second drive F with a disk in it (which there
is).* It will read the disk.* It will play an audio*CD and a video DVD
therein. Still shows the strange Drive P.
II think I need to replace the internal DVDRW drive with the second
one.* No choice.* But what is file explorer *drive P?* It does
nothing seemingly.

Thanks
Sam
Old May 16th 17, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 5/16/2017 8:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

Under computer management - Storage - Disk Management what does the
computer have to say for itself? For example, on my present system if I go
to this location and select my BlueRay DVD and chose properties - Details
- Property 'Hardware IDs' I see

"SCSI\CdRomHL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_1.02
SCSI\CdRomHL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_
SCSI\CdRomHL-DT-ST
SCSI\HL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_1
HL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_1
GenCdRom"

Or you could look at 'Friendly name' which is less overwhelming.

All sorts of other information is available including drivers and such --
you might want to look at the error flags too.
Old May 16th 17, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Tue, 16 May 2017 10:14:40 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 5/16/2017 8:33 AM, wrote:
[...]

I am familiar with Disk Management. I hadn't loked at it tho, for
this problem. It shows nothing for either the phantom P cd drive nor
the undetected F dvdrw drive.
Thanks - it was a good idea.

Sam
Old May 16th 17, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Tue, 16 May 2017 13:04:34 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2017 10:14:40 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 5/16/2017 8:33 AM,
wrote:
[...]

I This is a dual-boot W7W10 PC. My prior posts pertain to the W7
drive. I booted the W10 drive and the dcdrw drive does not appear in
file explorer as with W7. W10 Disk Management does not show either
drive too. The 'phantom' cd drive does not show in W10 file explorer
tho. It did in W7. Just wanted to add this.
Thanks

Sam
Old May 16th 17, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2017 10:14:40 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 5/16/2017 8:33 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Do you have any virtual CD software installed ?
Roxio, InCD, Nero, something along those lines ?

You can load an ISO with such software, to make
a virtual CD drive letter.

On Win10, mounting an ISO is a built-in function,
so you don't need to buy any additional software.
Win10 mounts .vhd files (as HDD) and .iso files (as ODD)
with drive letters as appropriate.

The further back in OSes you go, the less functionality.
In WinXP, you need a third-party virtual CD software
for ISO files. And a copy of the stand-lone VHDMount
from Microsoft, for virtual machine hard drives. VHDMount
will only mount a VHD if the C: file system is NTFS.
If C: is FAT32, it'll refuse to mount a .vhd file for you.

Some virtual CD software is nasty. It presents a read-only
CD/DVD drive letter. Great. However, if at that point,
you execute *burner* software, when it "sniffs" the
virtual CD, it can lock up trying to access the read-only
virtual CD.

Paul