Gateway 200 ARC and Vista?

Old July 23rd 07, 02:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Turner Morgan[_2_]

Default Gateway 200 ARC and Vista?

I was going to install Vista Home Basic onto my Gateway 200 ARC laptop. I
replace the 40 Gb original Hitachi HD with Windows XP Pro on it with a
squeaky clean Hitachi 120 Gb drive and started the installation of Vista
Home Basic. I already knew the video wouldn't suppor Aero.

I got an error screen saying the computer is not ACPI compliant. OK. I put
the original Hitachi 40 Gb drive back into the computer, booted XP Pro, went
to Gateway support and got the latest BIOS, flashed the BIOS (Gateway
#9527736 dated 07/13/2004) and did the whole thing over again with the same
result. The larger drive is needed if I am to continue using the coputer as
I have just about maxed out the 40 Gigger.

Is there any way around this or should I just use the 120 Gb drive, put XP
Pro on it and go buy another laptop if I want Vista? Frankly, with the
other two computers in the house running Vista (one as a dual-boot spends as
much time running XP as it does Vista) I'm not all that impressed with
Vista.

Any comments of a helpful nature would be appreciated.

Turner