Gaming work-around for Half-Life / Half-Life2

Old November 14th 05, 05:39 PM
Larry Hodges

Default Gaming work-around for Half-Life / Half-Life2

I've been having issues in the original Half-Life and CS on WinXP64. What I
did last night that worked very well was create a shortcut on my Desktop to
Steam. Then right-clicked on the shortcut, then Compatibility. I ran in
compatibility mode for XP.

For me, HL2 runs fine in 64 bit and has issues if I attempt to run in in the
above Compatibility mode. (Well...usually. There are some sound issues,
but that's another thread.) So I have to turn off Compatibility mode to run
it. And you have to completely shut down Steam to do that btw, not just to
the systray.

I tried creating a desktop shortcut to HL and HL2 so I could set each, but
if you change one, it changes the other.

Maybe there's a way to put a script in the Target for the shortcut to set
the Compatibility mode? That would be ideal. But still, you need to exit
one game, completely close Steam before launching the other game.

-Larry