Built my first computer, it will not boot up though?

Old January 15th 05, 04:42 PM
David Mills

Default Built my first computer, it will not boot up though?

Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?
Everyone is telling me that I need to install my Sata Drivers for my new
harddrive, but I can't install them because I can't get to the cd. I did
not install a floppy drive in this computer because I was told by numerous
people that I would not need one. I have a DVD-ROM drive as my only IDE
device and it is set to master. I then have my SATA harddrive installed.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks for any ideas.

Old January 15th 05, 04:55 PM
Dee

David Mills wrote:

[...]

You need the SATA drivers on a floppy disk. Perhaps someday Microsoft
will change this, but for now, it's the only way.

Old January 15th 05, 05:11 PM
Richard Dower

I'd also say you have the boot order wrong and the BIOS configured
incorectly. There are numerous options for the IDE and SATA drives, RAID and
non RAID, the Sil3114 controller etc.

Most problems arise from user error and people not knowing what they are
doing, thus i suggest you read and research and play with every BIOS option
until you learn what each one does and how to set things up correctly +
creating a floppy disc for the F6 option to install Windows.

It's shocking to me just how many people don't know about this or how to do
it, soemtimes it is good DELL build PC's.

Old January 15th 05, 05:37 PM
ToolPackinMama

David Mills wrote:
Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it on
it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that came
with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with that
express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled Drive,
Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?

Go into Setup/BIOS and set your PC to boot to the CD first.
Reboot with the XP CD in place.
Old January 15th 05, 05:43 PM
BillL

"ToolPackinMama" wrote in message
David Mills wrote:
Hello, I recently built a brand new computer using Gigabyte's GA-K8NF-9
motherboard. I have everything installed correctly, but when I turn it
on it says "Boot From CD". So I put in my XP cd and/or my driver cd that
came with the motherboard and it doesn't work. I then try booting with
that express recovery utility and it comes up and says "No HPA Enabled
Drive, Press Any Key To Boot". Do you have any ideas what could be the
problem?

Go into Setup/BIOS and set your PC to boot to the CD first.
Reboot with the XP CD in place.

I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.

TIA

BillL

Old January 15th 05, 05:53 PM
Richard Dower

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm really just butting in here but if a floppy is required will a USB FDD
work? I only ask because I tried updating the BIOS of my mobo and because
the BIOS doesn't give an option to boot from a USB FDD I was stuck.

So get a floppy, they only cost £8...despite what people may have heard
floppy's do have alot of life left in them and are nesscary.

Old January 15th 05, 06:26 PM
Dan B

It's shocking to me just how many people don't know about this or how to do
it, soemtimes it is good DELL build PC's.

I say 10/10 for giving it a try and wanting to learn. We all had to
learn somewhere and surely even you don't know EVERYTHING there is to
know about building a PC.

Dan
Old January 15th 05, 06:33 PM
JAD

how old is the DVD rom? Many older format DVD-Roms did not support HPA

[...]

Computer Boots and Locks Up after 5 Seconds or so (Also, Boot Floppy Disk Issues)... Christopher Kurtis Koeber General 1 July 11th 04 09:18 PM
Computer won't boot ArchNacho General 5 October 4th 03 05:24 PM
help: computer won't boot Rob General 3 October 4th 03 12:14 PM
Computer won't boot with 2000+ Athlon, 2100+ Athlon works just fine Cyde Weys General 4 July 3rd 03 12:16 PM