Packard Bell Legend 105CD - Restore CD Format Number?

Old June 2nd 04, 06:17 PM
SonicClub

You're probably right, it would only be logical for them to post the format
number in a place where it can still be used, but not easily lost, right?
So posting it on a label on a hard drive would be smart of them. When I
have access to the computer again I will check on that, that way if it is
there, I will have the original format number again, otherwise I will try
to find the system credentials again, heh.

Thanks for everyone's help, it was very much appreciated. I am pretty good
with technical aspects of computers, I may be of assistance with some of
your problems, it's the least I can do for you all helping me. I am still
in he process of making sure my problem has been fully resolved though,
then I will get back to you guys and let you know. I just tried some
suggestions like make up a number and stuff, I have even typed a correct
format number with .scr after it, but it still wouldn't work, it only
would accept a valid one..oh well, several times I have used the restore
CD sucessfully with all my attempts using it, so things will probably end
up working. I am still so suprised I found out the format numbers so
easily, their CD protection or whatever sucked back then, you can use this
on any computer, even one which isn't a Packard Bell. I have no complaints
about it being able to be used on other PC's though, or that the format
number was so easy to find, I am quite happy about it actually, lol. It's
great using all the classic pre-installed Packard Bell software such as
Navigator and Kidspace, my only complaint is I have been away from Windows
3.11 and those programs for so long that I forgot some of the things I
used to do and how things were setup. No one can really help me with that
though, that is something which is somewhere stored in my momory of my
last usage of those programs in about 1995-1997.

One thing I complain about though is one of the CD games that came bundled
with the Packard Bell, MegaRace, for some reason when installed on another
PC, the sound can't be used, or it sounds all screwed up like, I have only
managed to get it run decently on my older and newer Packard Bell. I
wonder if my newer Packard Bell restore disk can be used on another PC, it
was made in mid-1998, the Master Restore Diskette is version 1.27. There
are some numbers on the CD, but i'm not sure if it's referring to the CD
version. Maybe the little tutorial that was provided earlier about doing
all those DOS commands might work, however, some of the files didn't match
if you guys remember. It would probably just be more trouble all over
again to try to get the next CD to work, huh? hah. Well, it isn't even
half as important as this first CD I was asking about was to me.

Old June 2nd 04, 06:34 PM
Elector

"SonicClub" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
snip
One thing I complain about though is one of the CD games that came bundled
with the Packard Bell, MegaRace, for some reason when installed on another
PC, the sound can't be used, or it sounds all screwed up like, I have only
managed to get it run decently on my older and newer Packard Bell.

snip

Funny you should mention that Mega Race game. There was a patch for the game
to correct the lagging of the sound and video in systems greater than
Windows 3.1

they can be obtained he
http://support.packardbell-europe.co...20100.asp?c=ap

Elector

Old June 4th 04, 02:18 AM
SonicClub

Thanks. That will help it work better on my Packard Bell (newer or older)
probably, but is there anything to make it work on PC's which aren't even
Packard Bell? like a new fast computer one with XP and such? When I run
it, it seems to have problems with the video, and it won't play the sounds
right, or won't play the sounds at all.. An update on the format number
problem, I have attempted use of the restore program, several times, and
it worked flawlessly every time, some settings and stuff need to be edited
if you want it to run on another PC that isn't compatible with certain
drivers for the hardware. Other than that, it works great, you can even
upgrade from 3.11 to Windows 95 or 98 and it seems to still be compatible
with all the programs. I haven't tried upgrading to 98 or anything newer
yet though.

Old June 4th 04, 11:48 AM
Elector

"SonicClub" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
[...]

I don't know if this is what you want to do, but the MegaRace game is
again on sale at stores for all OS standards. Mega Race 3, 4 etc.

You can also try to run it in dos mode on a Windows XP or NT machine
(Set the setting to use the older OS is another option and may
function like that as well)

Elector

Old June 6th 04, 09:42 PM
SonicClub

Well...lets see...all my problems I asked about have been solved pretty
much. I got a few more questions though. One is about Packard Bell floppy
drives, the other is about Packard Bell shutting down in the US. First the
floppy drives, in my Packard Bell purchased in mid-1998 (I think it says
the model number is 850), the floppy drive stopped working a while back
and I had to get this old junky one that doesn't work too good, and now it
also doesn't work. It's not as easy as just replacing the drives, you know
how those brand computers are, most of them have face plates or whatever
they're called, so the foppy drive can't have it's own front, or the front
has to be taken off, it has to fit the button that goes with the case, the
original floppy drive that came with it is a Mitsumi floppy drive, model
D359T7. I tried looking around for the same model or one simular, and they
are simular, but they have their own fronts so they wouldn't work unless
if the face plate of the floppy drive could be removed to fit in the case
with the original Packard Bell case's floppy button or something. Another
question is about Packard Bell shutting down in the US. I heard they
shutdown because they had trouble competing with Dell and other computer
makers, but when exactly did they completely leave the US. I read an
article that was posted at the end of 1999, so did they shutdown sometime
in early 2000? Let me know if you guys can help, thanks.

Old June 6th 04, 11:28 PM
Elector

"SonicClub" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
[...]

This may be of interest:

Packard Bell NEC
Packard Bell is out of business and their internet site is off line
They still have a web site in canada. As of January 1, 2000, PB
products are manufactured by NEC in the Netherlands. Packard Bell NEC
is no longer a business entity and was closed in 1999.

As of January 1, 2000, PB products are manufactured by NEC in the
Netherlands. Packard Bell NEC is no longer a business entity and was
closed in 1999.

Alorica Incorporated ( this is a pay site ) now handles support for
Packard Bell Products made prior to 2000.
Packard bell went out of business because of poor service and support
as well as a crappy product line. The CEO Beny Algam went out and
purchased another computer company AST which also bit the dust.

NEC made a co branded last Packard Bell called the Zeos 1 and that was
the last North American made computer for Packard Bell NEC. They still
have a European web site and production plant for the Packard Bell
name.

Any replacement floppy drive will fit in the machine. They are
standard by design.

Also this story may better tell the story:
http://www.facsnet.org/tools/biz_eco.../together.php3

Elector

Old June 7th 04, 08:16 AM
SonicClub

Thanks for the information. I am aware that all floppy drives are a
standard size. I know that all floppy drives will fit in the case, but do
you also mean it will work with the face plate on the PC? It's like a
plastic cover that covers the whole front of the PC, without it, the PC
looks quite junky, because it's what gives the PC it's normal look, here's
a picture so I can explain myself better, this isn't what the one I took
out of the computer looks like, but it will without the front thing:

http://www.gen-x-pc.com/images/FD-1white.jpg

That plastic front on the drive, imagine the drive without that and with
the door only, where the button would be, it had like a metal thing for
the custom Packard Bell button to fit on so it was compatible with the
front of the computer. It would fit in just fine within the PC, but once I
go to put the front thing back on, it won't go on all the way, and it
wouldn't be compatible with the PC's front thing, I will make things
easier and say it kinda is setup how the newer Hewlett Packard computers
are, maybe not the newest, but the more recent ones, possibly the newer
ones though (I'm really not sure if the newer ones are built the same).
Anyway, you must know what I am talking about, it's not like not many PC's
are built that way, quite a few are, mainly the kind you buy from a
company like Packard Bell, or Hewlett Packard.

Old June 7th 04, 08:49 PM
Elector

"SonicClub" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
[...]

The front cover can be removed to just have the metal casing which
will then fit inside the tray assembly.
I have worked on a few Gateways that had a similar situation in that
the access door would not close due to the front bezel cover.
After you place it in the machine you can remove the retaining clips
or screws and slide the front cover off it then should be no problem
in just placing the plastic from the computer over the casing.

Oh I have a friend with a Dell desktop that had this same problem only
it was his cd rom driver. He replaced it with a "white" dvd/cdr-r
drive and he just removed the covering and slid the unit in to have
the cover close.

Elector

Old June 8th 04, 02:01 AM
Rock On

Oh I have a friend with a Dell desktop that had this same problem only
it was his cd rom driver. He replaced it with a "white" dvd/cdr-r
drive and he just removed the covering and slid the unit in to have
the cover close.

Elector

Has anyone been able to replace the CD ROM cover for a Milano tower?

Old June 13th 04, 09:20 PM
SonicClub

Been busy lately, that's the reason for my absense. Rock On, I have no
experience with replacing a CD-ROM cover, nor do I have any experience
with Milano towers. Explain your problem the best you can though and I
will try to come up with a solution.

As for my problems. All have basically been solved. In reply to my Floppy
drive problem though, and you basically saying any newer floppy drive
should fit, all I have to do is remove the plastic front when I buy the
drive? I am sure if I get the same brand and close to the same model, it
will fit even better too, correct? Well, guess I will try buying a
replacement drive then and do that, think that's the best plan?