PB 420 mobo BIOS update

Old December 4th 03, 01:21 AM
Louie

Default PB 420 mobo BIOS update

Hey guys, it's me again. g Any idea where to D/L a BIOS update for this
mobo? This is what I see on bootup:

PhoenixBIOS(TM) A486 Version 1.01.E
Copyright (C) 1985-1993 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

Reference ID 20

Thanks, again! g
--
Louie
Gainesville, FL

eat the flies to email

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old December 4th 03, 01:55 AM
Ben Myers

Louie,

I don't think there is a FREE (that's FREE!) BIOS update for this board. The
best you can do is pay some money to MicroFirmware or Unicore for their BIOS
update, a dubious proposition.

If you want a BIOS update to increase hard drive capacity, you are better off
paying very short money for an ISA bus disk controller card with its own hard
disk BIOS. The A486 BIOS is limited to 528MB in capacity in all versions.

I don't think the old PB420 warhorse is worth spending much money on at all,
given that far less limited Pentium class systems are finding their way into
dumpsters a lot these days. Not to mention Pentium II and Pentium III. Just my
two cents, but your money may be colored differently.

.... Ben Myers

Old December 4th 03, 02:12 AM
Louie

Damn, ya beat me to it. g Just found it at:

http://store.firmware.com/cgi-bin/mfi/P4HS10.html

Just a little info from above:

Supports 4 hard drives, up to 127 GB each
Plug and Play BIOS Support
Significantly faster booup
Fast bootup, password security
Daughterboard (Flash Adapter Upgrade), Instruction Manuals
Complete instructions and BIOS reference included
Micro Firmware BIOS Upgrade for Packard Bell PB410/430 Motherboard
Price: $29.95

Many thanks, though!
--
Louie
Gainesville, FL

eat the flies to email

Old December 4th 03, 03:37 AM
Louie

Yahoo Messenger? No, but I can install it. I have MS Messenger and AIM, if
you prefer. Email me your Yahoo info, 'k?
--
Louie
Gainesville, FL

eat the flies to email

"metronid" wrote in message
louie it is not that Ben beat you
he has known that fact for years
you did do a good job on research

Ben has been there dan done that

by the way
do you have Yahoo Instant Messenger
I would like an image of that CD you posted on

Old December 4th 03, 03:49 AM
Ben Myers

Or is the MicroFirmware BIOS upgrade a new EEPROM with the BIOS image on it?
So you have to pull the old chip and insert the new one? It's been so long
since I messed with early 486's, I can't remember... Ben

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:20:17 -0800, "metronid" wrote:

I may be wrong
I am many times
I beleive he 420MB 's chip is not flashable

The micro firmware one requires a daughterboard
with a flashable chip
The Oem chip must be there to transfer the data
to the Flashable chip
Reminds me of the HOT FLASH
with only one system

Old December 4th 03, 11:07 AM
Elector

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:49:58 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) had this to say
and I had to reply to it:

::Or is the MicroFirmware BIOS upgrade a new EEPROM with the BIOS image on it?
::So you have to pull the old chip and insert the new one? It's been so long
::since I messed with early 486's, I can't remember... Ben
::
::On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:20:17 -0800, "metronid" wrote:
::
God I wish you guys would stop top posting :-)
I believe the upgrade is the complete chip and puller.
And that in its self is going to be fun since many times the replacement can be inserted wrong, or
it is damaged etc.

Ben's advise of not doing any more with the system may be the sound position.

Elector

Old December 4th 03, 11:35 AM
Louie

Morning, Elector. Top posting? What's top posting?? g Just kidding,
see below.

"Elector" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:49:58 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben

Myers) had this to say
and I had to reply to it:

snip
God I wish you guys would stop top posting :-)
I believe the upgrade is the complete chip and puller.
And that in its self is going to be fun since many times the replacement

can be inserted wrong, or
it is damaged etc.

Ben's advise of not doing any more with the system may be the sound

position.

Elector

Yes, you're right about the chip replacement. MicroFirmware even warns
about installing it backwards. If installed backwards, chip will be
destroyed on power up.

Only reason I'm fooling with it is the challenge and because I'm a shut-in
(disabled). Gives me something to do besides watch the tube and bounce off
the walls. g I have about 10-15 old PC's (Pentium MMX, PII's) I'm
attempting to restore to donate to people (children 6-14 years old) who
can't afford a new PC (we're in the swamps of FL. Nearest big city is an
hour away). Mostly, they just need a PC for school.
--
Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

eat the flies to email

---

Old December 4th 03, 11:56 AM
Elector

"Elector" wrote in message
[...]

Ahh I see..Loved that way you replied...

Metronid & Ben for some reason love the way Microsoft has the default
to top reply. Its a big hassle to keep scrolling back and forth, but I
chide them on it all the time. Sort of like you can't teach an old dog
a new trick. ha ha

Good cause for you to want to be so thoughtful. I wish you well on
your progress and for the kids as well.

Elector