Surely SOMEBODY knows what a 4880 (200Mhz?) is?

Old November 3rd 03, 05:31 PM
Licensed to Quill

Then I am in a bad way: SHe is 83 and has a weak heart so can't really take
it anywhe Someone else read the model number where it said MODEL NUMBER
as well as the FCC ID.

Guess I will have to wait until I get back to London with all necessary
acoutrements to get it working (assuming it works)

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message
Saw no response to my earlier post and wonder if everyone thinks that the
question had been answered?

Surely SOMEBODY knows what a Multimedia 4880 is? I think it runs at

200Mhz
and can't find anything about it from the PB site

Even the FCC ID No: is impenetrable: FCC ID 1441CM14017

(The FCC doesnt even recognise it as a valid number without a prefix)

Licensed to Quill

Old November 8th 03, 02:33 PM
Licensed to Quill

Yes, you guys were all right: She has now had someone else read the numbers
and they SEEM completely different: She now says that she can read a part
number which is P030103401 and even a serial number which is 6503000834.

Although it says Multimedia on the front, she says that it says something
like Model number Alpha (?) 19 on the back.

Is this useful to locate anything if one knows where to look on hte internet
or PB site or can anyone identify it from the numbers she now gives? I
suspect that the old numbers were (as would be done by a newbie) taken from
the PB MONITOR which her spanish assistant thjought were the numbers I
wanted

Licensed to Quill

"BR549" wrote in message
om...
"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message

Saw no response to my earlier post and wonder if everyone thinks that

the
question had been answered?

Surely SOMEBODY knows what a Multimedia 4880 is? I think it runs at

200Mhz
and can't find anything about it from the PB site

Even the FCC ID No: is impenetrable: FCC ID 1441CM14017

(The FCC doesnt even recognise it as a valid number without a prefix)

Licensed to Quill

These PB model numbers are completely irrelevant to their
specifications. I have six different PB computers with different model
numbers and every one of them has the same motherboard and processor
and OEM hard drive capacities. I would not expect to ascertain the
exact hardware of this computer based only on the model number. As
Anthony stated, the bios string will be the real identifier and will
undoubtedly provide the information you seek. Good hunting!

Old November 8th 03, 03:20 PM
Elector

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message
Yes, you guys were all right: She has now had someone else read the

numbers
and they SEEM completely different: She now says that she can read a part
number which is P030103401 and even a serial number which is 6503000834.

Although it says Multimedia on the front, she says that it says something
like Model number Alpha (?) 19 on the back.

Is this useful to locate anything if one knows where to look on hte

internet
or PB site or can anyone identify it from the numbers she now gives? I
suspect that the old numbers were (as would be done by a newbie) taken

from
the PB MONITOR which her spanish assistant thjought were the numbers I
wanted

Licensed to Quill

Licensed to Quill:

Again that is also of no help. Have someone take the photo of the system
from all sides and lets all look at it. With what you have already been
advised this would seem to be the only way. If the serial numbers hold true
the model should be a PB650
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...4/hillary.html this link has
the information you then would need. But, and here is the big catch since we
are dealing with a far distance ID and trying to figure out just what system
it is lets not assume this is the right page until someone confirms it.
Anthony, Simon, BR549, Velix, or one of the more knowledgeable PB Gurus need
to chime in.

As I stated before this is too delicate to diagnose over long distance and
we want to be 100% sure.

I have additional information on the PB 650 from the supplied media from
Velix. If we do ascertain that it is a 650 Hilary MB etc. then you may get
your information free at my other news group via a posting of files etc. as
I have done for others.

Elector

Old November 8th 03, 03:59 PM
Licensed to Quill

Sorry for this time wasting exercise: Anthony had said "Have you mom give
you the serial number,and post it to the group, and someone here should be
able to tell you what Motherboard is i it, and possible other info" so I
thought that the (part number and) serial number would be of use.

Old November 8th 03, 06:54 PM
Elector

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:59:23 -0500, "Licensed to Quill" had this
to say and I had to reply to it:

::Sorry for this time wasting exercise: Anthony had said "Have you mom give
::you the serial number,and post it to the group, and someone here should be
::able to tell you what Motherboard is i it, and possible other info" so I
::thought that the (part number and) serial number would be of use.
::

Please accept my apology if your thinking I was angry. I am not :-)

I tried your numbers in many places and sites and they just don't hit.

However I was looking at a prior anthony post and from his FAQ where the example is showing that it
may possibly be a PB 650 with a Hillary Motherboard.

But I don't want to give you the wrong information. I was hoping that one of the others I mentioned
could figure out the numbers you gave and confirm my estimation on the what the actual system
is/was.

If it turns out that it is as I suspect, I have all the information you could ask for from the
Velix CD of the original Packard Bell site. I believe Anthony has this same information and
possibly Simon in the UK as well since he was the originatorand owner of PBUSER.COM and with Neil
Jones may have additional information for you.

Elector

Old November 9th 03, 01:38 AM
Anthony

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message
Sorry for this time wasting exercise: Anthony had said "Have you mom give
you the serial number,and post it to the group, and someone here should be
able to tell you what Motherboard is i it, and possible other info" so I
thought that the (part number and) serial number would be of use.

IDing via serial number is hit and miss, as in that PB did not have all
serials numbers and corresponding system info in their databases, I must
have not mettioned that before (I bad). The best method for IDing is by the
BIOS string (version).

BTW...Was the computer made for US or UK use?

Regards,
Anthony

Old November 9th 03, 12:51 PM
Elector

"Anthony" wrote in message
s.com...

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in

message
Sorry for this time wasting exercise: Anthony had said "Have you

mom give
you the serial number,and post it to the group, and someone here

should be
able to tell you what Motherboard is i it, and possible other

info" so I
thought that the (part number and) serial number would be of use.

IDing via serial number is hit and miss, as in that PB did not have

all
serials numbers and corresponding system info in their databases, I

must
have not mettioned that before (I bad). The best method for IDing

is by the
BIOS string (version).

BTW...Was the computer made for US or UK use?

Regards,
Anthony

Hi Anthony, I don't remember if the original poster stated the machine
was bootable. But I do believe that was mentioned about the BIOS
string.
I also had a heck of a time trying to nail down the make and model of
the system via the numbers supplied in addition to your suggestions at
the Official Packard Bell FAQ's you maintain. FCC Id was of no help,
my own database was no help and I was even thinking that the "A19"
Alpha 19 was of some help but alas it was not.

The person has the computer in the UK I believe, that was why I was
hoping that Simon or Neil Jones was viewing this thread and would be
able to assist the person.
Hope your new connection is going well? Don't see much of you around
here "-)

Elector

Old November 11th 03, 02:10 AM
Licensed to Quill

Thanks to Phil, Apparently it is a PB680 2D MMX Orlando Motherboard with a
P200 mmx processor and a 2.1Gb Hard Drive with 16MB EDO RAM, meaning
presumably SIMMs

The Graphics Card was a Trio 64 and the Sound Card an Aztech 2320

It has an X2 USR Win Modem (bit suspicious about WINMODEMS: They were alway
a bit difficult to configure werent they?) and runs WIN 95 so I will take a
98 Upgrade disc with me as I can't imagine it will run Windows 2000 on what
cant be much more than 4 SIMMs. Dont see any point in overclocking it
either as it won't run Windows 2000 anyway and the next step up was a
Pentium 11 which started as 233 Mhz processors, meaning there isn't much
chance of upgrading the processor with the Socket 7 233 I have lying around
here

(Havent yet figured out the keyboard plug arragement)

Old November 11th 03, 01:09 PM
Elector

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Funny I didn't see a "Phil" post. He must have emailed you. If you are
100% certain that is the system then here are the specs.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...774/pb680.html

Please insure that is the correct system. The manual from Ray's
Packard Bell site is he
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...774/pbmvb.html
It may have the pin out assignment your looking for.

Elector

Old November 13th 03, 05:17 PM
My father's son

Many thanks for the reference: I would imagine that is the MB and
intriguingly it looks as if I can replace the Pentium 1 200MMX processor
with a Pentium 11 233 Mhz which also uses Socket 7, put 128 Meg of RAM in it
on 4 32 meg SIMMs and run Windows 2000? (I just can't access the manual to
see how to do this as the content on http://home.att.net/~rjdg/florimmx.zip
is blocked)

Or possibly the position is as revealed on the page itself: Intel made
233MMX Pentium I chips as well as 233 Pentium 11 chips and the one I have
been using to run windows 2000 successfully is the former, making the
'upgrade' not worth the bother in 2003.

Licensed to Quill

"Elector" wrote in message
news