GA7VAXP - A - Ultra & SoundBlaster Live 5.1

Old September 24th 03, 07:38 AM
Spice Guy

Default GA7VAXP - A - Ultra & SoundBlaster Live 5.1

Hiya All,

I have a Gigabyte GA7VAXP-A-Ultra MB and a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Surround
Sound Card. I am having problems with the sound skipping and being slow,
and stuff like that, has any body got any ideas on how to solve these
problems.

TIA

Yours

Allan

Old September 26th 03, 05:21 AM
Jim Davis

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:38:37 +0100, "Spice Guy"
wrote/replied to:

Hiya All,

I have a Gigabyte GA7VAXP-A-Ultra MB and a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Surround
Sound Card. I am having problems with the sound skipping and being slow,
and stuff like that, has any body got any ideas on how to solve these
problems.

TIA

Yours

Allan

Get a new sound card crazy as it seems. The SBLive was a buggy card to
start with. An Audigy 2 would be ok. I'm using onboard AC97 sounds,
and it's ok.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/
Old October 3rd 03, 10:09 PM
Don Wells

I bought a sound card and tried it. My speakers were not good enough
to tell a difference between the card and the built in AC97. So don't
upgrade unless you are going to get a real good card and real good
speakers too.

Old October 4th 03, 07:34 AM
Gary Sinnott

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:09:50 GMT, Don Wells
wrote:

I bought a sound card and tried it. My speakers were not good enough
to tell a difference between the card and the built in AC97. So don't
upgrade unless you are going to get a real good card and real good
speakers too.

snip

I'd be inclined to agree if it wasn't for the fact that I still can't
get 5.1 out of the onboard 5.1 rubbish. My keyboard's volume control
only adjusts the headphones output level and the main volume is only
adjustable from the Creative DTT2500 box - whatever settings I use on
the software control panel.

I have trouble using the M$ Gamevoice hardware with it too - it
sometimes works, sometimes decides that instead of using the
microphone I have on my headset, it'll dump the sound of my external
microphone in the camera I have watching the front of the house.
Doesn't help online gaming much.

Apart from the fact my 6 month old MOBO has, for the last 3 months,
had a fault in it's RTC which I've had to correct by running a NTP
package every 10 minutes and dragging the time from my 6 year old
server (I got sod all response from Gigabyte's tech support and the
**** that sold it to me doesn't give a flying f*** - bad move
assholes).

Given the above, when I next upgrade it will most likely be a 2nd
generation A64 with an Audigy 2 (or better and then this board will
have an "accident". I might send some of the pieces back to Gigabyte
and the rest to the retailer (if he's still in business, the way he
operates! Hmm, apply that to Gigabyte too.)

Gary
(disgruntled)

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com
Old October 10th 03, 02:20 AM
Gary Sinnott

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:29:15 +0900, Jim Davis
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 06:34:56 +0000 (UTC), Gary Sinnott
wrote/replied to:

I bought a sound card and tried it. My speakers were not good enough
to tell a difference between the card and the built in AC97. So don't
upgrade unless you are going to get a real good card and real good
speakers too.

snip

I'd be inclined to agree if it wasn't for the fact that I still can't
get 5.1 out of the onboard 5.1 rubbish. My keyboard's volume control
only adjusts the headphones output level and the main volume is only
adjustable from the Creative DTT2500 box - whatever settings I use on
the software control panel.

The problems with the older Sound Blaster Live cards were numerous.
They sometimes worked flawlessly, other times could not be installed.
other times they just made problems in programs, especially games. I
know, I had one. It still works and I had it installed with XP on my
new Gigabyte MB. But I removed it and continue to enjoy the onboards
AC97 sound. I can't tell the difference, I don't have to install any
Creative software, and it works without a glitch in everything I've
tried with it, including Microsoft's Gamevoice software.

Plus I have one PCI slot less used, less heat, less clutter, etc, in
my case. I might like to have an Audigy 2 but $200 bucks is $200 bucks
if it's not going to make a big difference I'll wait for the next
generation.

Plus, I'd never buy Creative Crap again, anything else would be
preferable. The only hardware I've ever had a problem with is Creative
hardware.

But that's the point I was making - I have a Live! Platinum in a
machine now in another room, hooked to my main 5.1 system - no
problems whatsoever, even though that particular machine is badly in
need of a reinstall. Sound is good, easily controlled, etc, etc. The
onboard does-everything-and-more 5.1 chip is the biggest load of
donkey droppings I've used since my first 16-bit sound card (which
cost me £250).

My next sound card purchase will most likely be either whatever the
latest Creative job is that hasn't been farked up (like the first
Audigy series or the SB128) or one of the more pro musician level
cards.

Motherboard sound??? Never, ever again. Spesh as the one I have is a
Realtek one. They're pretty good at networking and ancilliary
hardware but, not their sound sytems. That sucks.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com