XP INSTALL ON SATA DRIVE NOT WORKING - P4P800DLX

Old December 3rd 03, 05:00 AM

Default XP INSTALL ON SATA DRIVE NOT WORKING - P4P800DLX

I need some help here. I have a new P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and a
Seagate 160GB SATA HD. I am trying to do a clean install of XP on this
drive but can seem to make it happen. XP install freezes at the first
blue screen where is says Windows Setup and never goes any further. I
know that this has to be SATA related but I can't for the life of me
figure a work around. Anyone else solve this one? Thanks in advance
for any help you can provide.
Old December 4th 03, 05:24 PM
Paul

Hi Jaiello,

I have the non deluxe P4P800 here.

First, you're meant to make a floppy
from the makefile.exe file (i think it's called)
off the cd, that came with the mobo.

And when you do a clean install, you're meant
to press F6 during install. and XP (hopefully)
will ask for that floppy, so the SATA drivers
can be installed). I did it the long way, I'm pretty
sure this one in the BIOS, is set to SATA under the
IDE connections. The SATA in this isnt the main
master, it's the 2nd primary Master (on the
2nd primary IDE connection in the BIOS).

I take it the SATA on yours, is on the 2nd
primary master? or main primary master?

And have you, set it on AUTO in the BIOS?

Will it be / Is it the only hdd in your system?

And did XP's install, manage to format it before
it kept crashing?

And are you sure you've connected one of
the molex power cables to the SATA? via
an adaptor? It doesnt have it's own power.
It needs to be connected, via an adaptor to
a 4 pin molex plug.

Let me know, and I'll try and help you out

Cheers

Old December 6th 03, 02:47 AM
John

Paul, all is fine here now. It turns out that the reason I was unable
to get the install going was a conflict with something USB. I unplugged
all the USB devices and bam! it came up and installed no issues.

Now to address your email. First of all SATA is natively supported.
You do not need to press F6 and install a driver and second you don't
need to make floppies. You just change the BIOS boot order to boot the
CD first with the install disk in the drive.

Anyway all is well now. Others beware. It was a fricking USB device.

In article , says...

Old December 6th 03, 03:43 AM
Paul

yup i know sata is native to XP/2000 not
other OS's. (but can still be used).

You DONT need to install
the drivers on install BUT it'll make things
easier for you in the long run. And making
the floppy with the drivers may help some ppl
but not all. XP will detect the sata without the
drivers on install, BUT not necessarily show
an icon for it once youve installed XP.

wrote in message
I need some help here. I have a new P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and a
Seagate 160GB SATA HD. I am trying to do a clean install of XP on

this
drive but can seem to make it happen. XP install freezes at the first
blue screen where is says Windows Setup and never goes any further. I
know that this has to be SATA related but I can't for the life of me
figure a work around. Anyone else solve this one? Thanks in advance

Questions about SATA Hard Drive w NCQ General 2 December 2nd 04 06:53 AM
SATA install help Matthew General 0 November 25th 04 07:18 AM
Skybuck's adventure with the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 123.5 GB ;) The Other Guy. General 24 November 17th 04 07:49 PM
Issue with 16gb SATA drive! (not the "install SP1 one) Jan Ohlsson Homebuilt PC's 0 October 9th 03 03:16 PM
New XP Install on D:Drive Keep Applications & Data on C: Drive Dennis Homebuilt PC's 4 October 4th 03 08:15 PM