How do I replace the BIOS battery?

Old August 6th 09, 03:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Kenn Caesius

Default How do I replace the BIOS battery?

I have Packard-bell 450M+/4x4 computer and after 13 years of service,
the BIOS battery has died, causing all sorts of start-up problems.

How would I go about replacing the battery? The user manual gives no
instructions and it seems that its soldered on to the motherboard. The
manual mentions jumper J30 for "an optional off-board battery." Since I
am not at all familiar with soldering, how can I jury rig a new battery?

---End of message---

Old August 6th 09, 06:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Kenn Caesius wrote:
I have Packard-bell 450M+/4x4 computer and after 13 years of service,
the BIOS battery has died, causing all sorts of start-up problems.

How would I go about replacing the battery? The user manual gives no
instructions and it seems that its soldered on to the motherboard. The
manual mentions jumper J30 for "an optional off-board battery." Since I
am not at all familiar with soldering, how can I jury rig a new battery?

---End of message---

If you can figure out where to connect an "off-board" battery, that is
the way to go, rather than a risky soldering effort. Older 486 systems
back in the day often had a 3-pin connector for an external battery.
Tadiran was/is a popular brand. The battery connects to the 3-pin lead
and is often attached to the side of the computer with velcro. Consult
your user manual for more info. Or maybe someone else with a similar
model can help... Ben Myers
Old August 6th 09, 07:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Kenn Caesius

Default How do I replace the BIOS battery? - Technical Request addendum

At this point, finding or creating an external battery would be my best
option, however the user manual does not give any technical information
about the type of battery that is currently installed on the motherboard
or the type I can replace it with

Since trying to desolder the battery would most likely destroy it and I
am not even sure if it is a standard watch battery, does anyone have any
information about type of battery it is or the types of batteries
Packard-bell recommended as replacements for their computers?

---End of message---

Old August 6th 09, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Kenn !

I'm not sure exactly what board you have, but I also had to recently
"repair" this problem with a PB 450 486 board.

Assuming your board looks like the one in the link below:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/450.htm

( and even if it doesn't )

.....this will give you a clue as to what to do.

Remove the jumpers on J30, and attach your battery to pins 1 and 4. 1 is
hot, and 4 is not. :-)

This is actually pretty standard on most motherboards that are "like this".

Just make sure you have the right jumper !

I actually found a bat laying around, 'cause I was getting ready to make the
whole thing. Any old 4 pin connector ( one off of a speaker for example )
and two AA bats will work. If you want to get fancy, get a button bat
holder, and wire that on.

bob

--
bobwatts

Watts Carburetion Service
WhizzBang Computers
" collector of Asian transfat plastic trinkets ! "
EartH // KlaXXoN

Old August 7th 09, 08:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Kenn Caesius

Default How do I replace the BIOS battery? - Acknowledgement

Thank you for searching the motherboard illustration, it is the
motherboard that my computer uses.

I can already imagine that I will have jury-rig an external battery but
I still have some reservations because I have never had manipulate my
computers at this level, e.g. soldering components. Hopefully I will be
able to find the parts at my local Radioshack.

Its a bit a revelation to know that I can use AA batteries as I was I
had a set a idea that only watch batteries can be used to power the
BIOS. Can they indeed be safely used and how long to AA Alkaline
batteries last? Can I substitute other concoctions of batteries like
lithium or titanium AA batteries?

---End of message---

Old August 7th 09, 11:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Kenn !

Inserting comments as I go...

"Kenn Caesius" wrote in message
m...
Thank you for searching the motherboard illustration, it is the
motherboard that my computer uses.

No problem. Happy to assist.

I can already imagine that I will have jury-rig an external battery but
I still have some reservations because I have never had manipulate my
computers at this level, e.g. soldering components. Hopefully I will be
able to find the parts at my local Radioshack.

Er, there is no soldering required. Just remove the jumper from J30, and
attach a four pin plug. Or, you can just connect to pin 1 and 4. No need to
solder anything.

Its a bit a revelation to know that I can use AA batteries as I was I
had a set a idea that only watch batteries can be used to power the
BIOS. Can they indeed be safely used and how long to AA Alkaline
batteries last? Can I substitute other concoctions of batteries like
lithium or titanium AA batteries?

Anything amounting to 3V is fine. As far as lasting, I personally wouldn't
trust cheap AA or AAA, C or D bats, I have had quite a few motherboards
destroyed because of bats leaking.
But they do work.

bob

Old August 8th 09, 05:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Kenn Caesius wrote:
Thank you for searching the motherboard illustration, it is the
motherboard that my computer uses.

I can already imagine that I will have jury-rig an external battery but
I still have some reservations because I have never had manipulate my
computers at this level, e.g. soldering components. Hopefully I will be
able to find the parts at my local Radioshack.

Its a bit a revelation to know that I can use AA batteries as I was I
had a set a idea that only watch batteries can be used to power the
BIOS. Can they indeed be safely used and how long to AA Alkaline
batteries last? Can I substitute other concoctions of batteries like
lithium or titanium AA batteries?

---End of message---

Back in the day, there were cute little battery holders with wire leads
on them to attach to the motherboard. These battery holders used 2, 3,
or 4 AA's, depending on the voltage required.

Rather than kludge up something, why not go to the Fedco web site and
see what they've got? According to Bob Watts, you need a 3v external
battery. And it needs to have two wires going to the outside pins of a
4-pin lead. Save yourself some time frittering around and simply order
the part that fits without modification.

Radio Shack may prove futile because they have really gone mass market
retail and cut way back on parts and accessories. But you never know.

.... Ben Myers
Old August 8th 09, 07:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Kenn Caesius

Default How do I replace the BIOS battery? - Followup

I had to bookmark the Fedco website (you were referring to Fedco
electronics but reviewing their selection of RTC and Memory Batteries,
they do not a have what I need: a 4-pin 3V lithium battery.

I have been doing Google searches under various strings and under
"Packard Bell 4-pin CMOS battery", I think I stumbled onto the results a
another search engine pointed to Amazon Market places as a possible
source. However, I have several reservations, beginning with their cost
and ending that each photo of the supposed battery was a stock photo.

At this point, I feel in order to maintain the integrity of my computer
I would have build a battery holder. Ben Myer is correct in his opinion
of Radioshack; while they did have wide array of components, a CR2032
battery holder would either have to ordered online (SKU# 270-009 for $1)
or purchased from a Radioshack that has four drawers of components
(which scattered throughout my region, though none are in reasonable
driving distance.) Most likely I will have to go the way of Robert E.
Watts with conventional batteries. Is there any way to prevent or
minimize battery leakage?

---End of message---

Old August 8th 09, 10:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Kenn Caesius wrote:
[...]

Minimize the EFFECT of battery leakage by attaching the batteries to the
outside of the computer, with long wire leads going inside... Ben Myers
Old August 9th 09, 01:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi "philo" !

And your advice is good also. PLAN on the damn things leaking, and take
precautions.
I too have lost some valuable vintage machines and motherboards.

bob

"philo" wrote in message

Good advice...
but still put the batteries in a place where no damage could possibly
occur if some day they did leak.

I've certainly had to scrap out more than one vintage machine due to
battery corrosion