Can xp handle over 1 gig of ram ???

Old October 28th 03, 12:57 AM
DaveW

Default Can xp handle over 1 gig of ram ???

XP will handle up to 4 GB of RAM. Sounds like you've got timing errors with
a cheap stick of RAM.

--
DaveW

"We Live For The One We Die For The One" wrote in
message news

I just ask this as i have two 512 megs of Crucial Dimms.

I had an extra 256meg dimms branded Exlixir.

So i ponked the extra dimm in and it @*(*(@*(@*@ up.

Any how i booted up with that and i got a memory error ?? and then a
message saying i had missing files ?

Could not even bootup in safe mode

Anyway lucky i have a 6 gig Partition just for windows so not alot was
lost as i needed to reformat, prob could have fixed it but its been a
long while since i reinstalled, good time for a clean up i thought.

Anyway anyone got some answers please let me know.

Thanks.

Old October 28th 03, 02:01 PM
Ancra

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:45:10 +1100, We Live For The One We Die For The
One wrote:

I just ask this as i have two 512 megs of Crucial Dimms.

I had an extra 256meg dimms branded Exlixir.

So i ponked the extra dimm in and it @*(*(@*(@*@ up.

Any how i booted up with that and i got a memory error ?? and then a
message saying i had missing files ?

Could not even bootup in safe mode

Anyway lucky i have a 6 gig Partition just for windows so not alot was
lost as i needed to reformat, prob could have fixed it but its been a
long while since i reinstalled, good time for a clean up i thought.

Anyway anyone got some answers please let me know.

Of course XP handles more than 1 Gig.

Only thing important is what your mobos manual says about memory
configs. You normally can't just shove anything into any slot.

P4s will run even slower than they are ;-) with current crop of DIMMs
and +1GB. So until your application performance will actually benefit
a lot from +1GB, or you can put in two symmetric 1GB DIMMs, don't
bother.

ancra