CYRIX ...

Old June 17th 04, 11:14 PM
Jure Sah

Default CYRIX ...

Hello,

I am the perhaps very troubled, owner of a Cyrix system.

The old config had 32 megs of EDO ram, a decent motherboard and a broken
cooling fan.

Considering the broken fan, and the fact that the system was severely
out of order, I have tried to rebuild the system.

However, stroke of bad luck #1, the CMOS battery had died. Ok problem
quickly sorted, replaced it with a one from a functioning system.
Managed to boot to Windows 98 but nothing happened beyond that. =P

I tried reinstalling the system and, lucky me, I even got a blue screen
of death. After some investigation (considering the fact that I knew it
was a memory related problem from experience), I noticed the last EDO
slot was not very firm (stroke of bad luck #2), BIOS could count all the
memory but it wasn't really in there. Problem quickly fixed, I replaced
the twin sets of 16 MB chips with a pair mamoth 64 MB chips that I had
inherited from a system that need not have as much memory.

After a complete delete and reinstall, the system had about 1/2 of blue
screens less. The system was intended as a webtv (dailup and browser
only), alas I couldn't keep the system stable enough not to get a long
series of errors in the kernel after running either the browser or the
dailer.

I have configured all the memory configs in BIOS to maximum compatibilty
to no avail.

I have read up on the issue via google and while most people have
noticed that the problem is: 1. Caused by improper power supply or, 2.
Too high temperature. And while I can pretend it is not very obvious, it
is true that it's not actualy documented anywhere, but is Thermal
Throttling supported by Cyrix????

I would like to try turning off those features and giving it a try but I
don't want to scortch it. =P

I know it's something in the BIOS configs because it only stopped
working after the BIOS had reset to defaults. Which settings should I
set to what first?

--
"...It's like i'm so dumb sometimes... :S
You guys are so young and look what you do!!!

http://www.AIMetaSearch.com/ici/index.htm

In case the provided e-mail address fails to deliver any time after
31.10.2004, please try
Old June 18th 04, 02:25 AM
Pen

"Jure Sah" wrote in message
Hello,

I am the perhaps very troubled, owner of a Cyrix system.

The old config had 32 megs of EDO ram, a decent motherboard and a broken
cooling fan.

Considering the broken fan, and the fact that the system was severely
out of order, I have tried to rebuild the system.

However, stroke of bad luck #1, the CMOS battery had died. Ok problem
quickly sorted, replaced it with a one from a functioning system.
Managed to boot to Windows 98 but nothing happened beyond that. =P

snipped
I have configured all the memory configs in BIOS to maximum compatibilty
to no avail.

I have read up on the issue via google and while most people have
noticed that the problem is: 1. Caused by improper power supply or, 2.
Too high temperature. And while I can pretend it is not very obvious, it
is true that it's not actualy documented anywhere, but is Thermal
Throttling supported by Cyrix????

I would like to try turning off those features and giving it a try but I
don't want to scortch it. =P

I know it's something in the BIOS configs because it only stopped
working after the BIOS had reset to defaults. Which settings should I
set to what first?

Cyrix processors did not have thermal throttling. They did have
systems management, but that was activity related. Is the heatsink
firmly attached, is the fan working? It's unclear if you replaced
the fan. You should if you didn't.

Old June 18th 04, 10:58 AM
Jure Sah

Pen wrote:
Cyrix processors did not have thermal throttling. They did have
systems management, but that was activity related.

Ok that would explain the bluescreens, because Thermal Throttling is
enabled in BIOS by default...

Is the heatsink
firmly attached, is the fan working? It's unclear if you replaced
the fan. You should if you didn't.

I replaced the fan with another, but I hope these fans (they're the size
of 486's cooling fans) are actualy sufficient. Are they?

In case they are not I will install a larger 12V fan next to the heatsink.

Thanks.