Weeds General MIDI SoundFont v3.0 for SBLive

Old March 18th 10, 12:12 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live
Richard F. Nagel

Default Weeds General MIDI SoundFont v3.0 for SBLive

Hiya Folks,

This is a custom soundfont that I've been developing over the years, but never
really had an online "home" to store it.

I've recently made an update to the soundfont, and Ian Luck of "XMPlay" fame has
so graciously allowed me to upload it and host it on his server; so it's now
available for download over at the main XMPlay web page (
http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html#plugins /
http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?extra/WeedsGM3 ). Readme (also included in
the ZIP) is here - http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/SoundFonts/WeedsGM3.txt .

A little cut 'n' paste from one of my PMs to Mr. Luck over at his forums:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Nagel
Hi Ian,

In several of my messages in the forum I've mentioned a large custom soundfont
that has been developing over the past few years. It's my main "base" GM
soundfont that I've used extensively with my Sound Blaster Live and XMPlay (as
well as my AWE32 sound cards... that is, before it got way to big for them LOL!).

I've finished another update to the soundfont, and was looking for an online
home for it. Per my previous messages in the forum, I had never uploaded it to
anywhere, due to it's sheer size (and my miserable dialup connection out here in
the woods LOL!). I was wondering if you wished to offer it for download in place
of (or as an alternative) to the "Chorium" soundfont that you have over at the
XMPlay download page?

Anyhow, the ZIP contains a readme and a self-extracting "sfArk" archive (sfArk
is great for compressing soundfonts, much better that ZIP/RAR/ACE/ etc...). The
ZIP with the self-extracting sfArk weighs in at about 27 megs, and the extracted
soundfont is almost 55 megs.

Some stats of the soundfont (included/mentioned in the readme):

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoundFont Filename: WeedsGM3.sf2
Self-extracting sfArk Archive Filename: WeedsGM3.sfArk.exe
Zip Archive Filename: WeedsGM3.zip
File Dates and Times: March 1, 2010 3:00a
Readme Documentation: WeedsGM3.txt
License Agreement Documentation: WeedsGM3.License.txt
MIDI Files: None
Number of User Samples: 762
Size of User Samples: 54,694,776 bytes
Number of ROM Samples: 0
Number of Instruments: 147
Number of Melodic Presets: 128
Number of Percussive Presets: 9
Total SoundFont Filesize: 54,894,076 bytes
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anyway, this custom soundfont sounds considerably better than the "Chorium"
soundfont IM(Not So)HO, and I was simply wondering if you wanted to offer it for
download at the XMPlay download page? If so, I suppose I could upload the ZIP to
your FTP server, although it will take me a while.

Cheers (and thanks for XMplay and the MIDI plugin!),

Rich
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anyhow, download and extract the ZIP, and then run the EXE to finish extracting
the soundfont. You'll need a sound card that supports soundfonts (or simply
"XMPlay", with the "MIDI Plugin" installed), and one that can handle loading a
54.8 meg soundfont.

BTW, here is a ZIP containing a few MIDI files that really show this thing off
- http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Sound...sGM3_MIDIs.zip :

"Grabbag - Duke Nukem 3D - Lee Jackson.mid" (transposed and re-arranged a bit)
"March To War - Rich Weeds Nagel.mid" (threw this together last night)
"Mustang Sally - Arranged by Rich Weeds Nagel.mid" (no melody, go ahead and sing
along LOL!)
"Ramblings of a Non-Pianist (Op. 2) - Rich Weeds Nagel.mid" (nope, I'm not a
pianist G!)
"Toccata in D Minor - Bach.mid" (added bass pedals)

Hope y'all like it

Old April 18th 10, 01:53 PM
basumarpo1610 basumarpo1610 is offline
Junior Member