Power Suppy for Powermac 4400/200

Old January 7th 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Phisherman

Default Power Suppy for Powermac 4400/200

I have a friend's dead Powermac 4400 and she needs the data off the
drive. I'm 98% sure that if the power supply is replaced I can
retrieve the data. I guess this machine is around 1998-1999. There
are very few of these P/S available and they are $80+. What are my
lowest-cost options in getting the data off this drive? I can't find
another working Powermac to borrow, at least not yet. But I do have
several PCs and one with a SCSI drive interface. I'm not even sure
what kind of drive is in this Powermac 4400/200. If I can get this
Powermac working for a reasonable cost it will be donated to a school
with underprivileged children after the data is retrieved. Any ideas?
Old January 7th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have a friend's dead Powermac 4400 and she needs the data off the
drive. I'm 98% sure that if the power supply is replaced I can
retrieve the data. I guess this machine is around 1998-1999. There
are very few of these P/S available and they are $80+. What are my
lowest-cost options in getting the data off this drive? I can't find
another working Powermac to borrow, at least not yet. But I do have
several PCs and one with a SCSI drive interface. I'm not even sure
what kind of drive is in this Powermac 4400/200. If I can get this
Powermac working for a reasonable cost it will be donated to a school
with underprivileged children after the data is retrieved. Any ideas?

Get the exact make/model off the power supply and post it here. I'm sure
you can find a exact replacement for $80+. But if we can find the
specifications, we can probably get you something that will work for about
$20. It won't be an exact replacement, but who cares? -Dave

Old January 8th 07, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Dave wrote:
[...]

http://farrer.net/~rbf/files/docs/Apple/PowerMac's%20%3F/powermac_4400.pdf

Power supply 661-1248

It looks like there are perhaps four 6 pin connectors, that fasten to
the motherboard. Instead of one big connector. Not exactly ATX, that's for sure.

Using the part number, the first one returned in a search, is $69.
It must be worth $69 to get the files back...

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Power-Sup...00-p-2038.html

Macs at one time used SCSI disks, then switched over to IDE drives.
The above service manual says the 4400 uses an IDE drive.

There is a comment here, about opening a mac IDE drive under Windows.
http://www.applefritter.com/node/1864

A "Macopener" program manual.
http://download.dataviz.com/pdf/manuals/mo_manual.pdf

Macopener is $50 here, program available via download:
http://www.dataviz.com/purchase/shop...?store_id=1004

Since MacOSX likely would not load on that computer, you'll be
looking at an older format on the disk (HFS ?).

Good luck,
Paul