Laptop For Games

Old November 8th 04, 10:04 PM
Grebo

Default Laptop For Games

Looking for a laptop that will play games such as Sims II. What is the best
(& cheapest) laptop with a decent graphics card?

Thanks

Grebo

Old November 9th 04, 10:22 AM
Andrew Z Carpenter

"Grebo" wrote in message

Looking for a laptop that will play games such as Sims II.
What is the best (& cheapest) laptop with a decent graphics
card?

Thanks

Grebo

You have several oxymorons in your question:

- Laptop & Games
- Best & Cheapest

--
AZC

Old November 9th 04, 11:19 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:22:09 -0000, "Andrew Z Carpenter"
wrote:

"Grebo" wrote in message

Looking for a laptop that will play games such as Sims II.
What is the best (& cheapest) laptop with a decent graphics
card?

Thanks

Grebo

You have several oxymorons in your question:

- Laptop & Games
- Best & Cheapest

Something like Sims II , I would be supprised if its pushing any
serious 3D graphics. It will still probably be just insometric sprites
so raw CPU and decent memory will do, as it won't be using the 3D
features of the graphics card to a large extent other than for pushing
around memory. Pleae though correct me if I'm wrong about the Sims II
render engine.

In terms of terminology, there are only a few laptops that have a
"graphics card", i.e upgradable. Something like a ati based laptop or
Nforce to go (if they still use the name) will have a half decent
graphics chip. IIRC Toys R Us are doing a rather nice spec Medion (ATI
based) laptop for around 999.

Don't expect brilliant performance for games using 3D render engines
though.

I quite easily played the Close Combat games on a Toshiba Satellite
1800-814, which is a horrid graphics chipset (games wise) and a PIII
1.1Ghz (not mobile version).

There are quite a few laptops out there with decent 3DMark scores.
Prolly worth having a google about for the keywords 3D Mark and
laptop.

Of course there will be a big trade off between best & cheapest.

Personally a laptop is not a good idea for games because of the
relative slow hard drive and the less robust keyboard.

That said Nvidia are doing a 6800 for laptops which supports shader
3.0. It would need to be pretty fast for credability. Though there
will be quite a wait for these I expect and a big premium.
--
Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
You come and glow, you come and glow.
Old November 9th 04, 11:44 AM
Andrew Z Carpenter

"Gama Chameleon" wrote
in message ...

Something like Sims II , I would be supprised if its pushing any
serious 3D graphics. It will still probably be just insometric sprites
so raw CPU and decent memory will do, as it won't be using the 3D
features of the graphics card to a large extent other than for pushing
around memory. Pleae though correct me if I'm wrong about the Sims II
render engine.

Actually, Sims II is quite a heavy workload..

http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

--
AZC

Old November 9th 04, 12:30 PM
Gama Chameleon

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:44:13 -0000, "Andrew Z Carpenter"
wrote:

"Gama Chameleon" wrote
in message ...

Something like Sims II , I would be supprised if its pushing any
serious 3D graphics. It will still probably be just insometric sprites
so raw CPU and decent memory will do, as it won't be using the 3D
features of the graphics card to a large extent other than for pushing
around memory. Pleae though correct me if I'm wrong about the Sims II
render engine.

Actually, Sims II is quite a heavy workload..

http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

Bilmey that have actually go to using direct 3D rather than just plain
old isometric :-)

Although 800 mhz CPU , 256mb memory and GeForce2mx being a supported
platform is easily within the range of a budget laptop based on the
GeForce 2go chipset. Of course there is "supported" and "it works but
plays like poop and looks pants" :-)

Get something with a Geforce 4 based or recent radeon mobility chip
set and it should be a doddle.

But then laptop for games AND wanting to play Sims II, thats just
plain nasty ;-)

Old November 9th 04, 10:36 PM
Grebo

Thanks for the info. My own thoughts were that it was not worth buying a
laptop to play games. However, a neighbour wants to buy one for their kids
for Xmas and although I have tried to persued them to spend the money on a
decent mini tower PC with flat screen, they insist on a laptop as "that is
what their mates have!!". Some kids are just plain spoiled!

Grebo

Old November 10th 04, 07:40 AM
AMO

"Grebo" wrote in message
Looking for a laptop that will play games such as Sims II. What is the

best
(& cheapest) laptop with a decent graphics card?

Thanks

Grebo

Personally, I think laptops, whilst they have changed in recent years with
dedicated graphics processors, are still poor in comparison to desktops for
games.

The main factor slowing down a laptop is the hard drive which spins slow. I
bought the PC Pro A Listed laptop in the performance laptop category from
Evesham in April. I personally think that whilst it appears to be fast at
some tasks, it appears to be slow at others. I can't quite make out exactly
what, but some things are noticeably slow - usually those that require disk
access.

If the PC is to be bought for kids, its a no brainer - go for a desktop.

However, if you were buying a PC for yourself, I recommend an alternating
strategy. When buying your next desktop, buy one which is slightly lower
specced saving you some money and there onwards, every 2 years alternate
your purchase, i.e. 2 years later buy a laptop, 2 years after that a
desktop.

That way, you get a good compromise between power and flexbility.

Because in todays world, by the time you want your next PC, your old PC is
still good for light work, you end up with 2 desktops. The problem with
that is that the poorer performing desktop is then seldom used. Still, it
depends on whether you need the flexibility - I like the ability to be able
to take a laptop down to a friends if they need help with their PC or plug
my laptop in whilst sitting in front of the TV downstairs etc.

AMO

Old November 10th 04, 06:43 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Grebo" wrote:

Thanks for the info. My own thoughts were that it was not worth buying a
laptop to play games. However, a neighbour wants to buy one for their kids
for Xmas and although I have tried to persued them to spend the money on a
decent mini tower PC with flat screen, they insist on a laptop as "that is
what their mates have!!". Some kids are just plain spoiled!

Misinformed rather the spoilt imho!

Laptops are useful if you absolutely *need* something portable but
they're pretty much inferior to a desktop in every other way and
completely unsuitable for playing modern games.

The kinds of CPU and GPUs required by todays top 3D games are too
power-hungry and run too hot to be viable in a laptop.

--
iv Paul iv

Old December 7th 04, 01:44 PM

www.alienware.com

If you simply must have games on laptops. Otherwise, Sims 2 will run on most
high-entry level (oxymoron?) £500-800 laptops.

If it doesn't need to be mobile (i.e. never used in the same place more than
twice a day) then get a desktop machine. Otherwise if it's a "mates"
portable thing, then get a SHUTTLE PC (a pc in a box) and have the best of
both worlds for their mates "stay overs".

--

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*

A S-Video connection fried both my laptop and TV! Help needed! [email protected] General 2 March 2nd 05 06:31 PM
Gaming Laptop Quaoar Homebuilt PC's 0 July 20th 04 03:06 PM
HD boots from desktop but "Invalid System Disk" error on laptop? Anonymous Jack General Hardware 1 November 24th 03 01:43 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 1 July 12th 03 09:38 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 0 July 12th 03 05:11 PM