Backup My PC - Tech Support

Old June 3rd 04, 02:39 AM
Jim T.

Default Backup My PC - Tech Support

I asked how I could make a recovery disk without a floppy drive -
hoping this program would make a bootable CD - Here's the answer I got
- verbatim--

"With Windows Xp you need to a floppy drive in order to do a disaster
recovery. An alternative would be to create a backup job that will
backup both the system state and the C: drive.Using this backup you
will be able to restore you system to the state it was when you
created the backup. Format you drive, using you recovery disks
provided by HP restore the OS, install the backup software then
perform a restore"

?????
Old June 3rd 04, 06:44 AM
Chris Stolworthy

"Jim T." wrote in message
news
I asked how I could make a recovery disk without a floppy drive -
hoping this program would make a bootable CD - Here's the answer I got
- verbatim--

"With Windows Xp you need to a floppy drive in order to do a disaster
recovery. An alternative would be to create a backup job that will
backup both the system state and the C: drive.Using this backup you
will be able to restore you system to the state it was when you
created the backup. Format you drive, using you recovery disks
provided by HP restore the OS, install the backup software then
perform a restore"

?????

*Coughing* Bulls**t
you have to have the recovery software in place BEFORE the system goes down
in order to restore. What exactly do you need the recovery disk for? To
run diagnostics, to start a new XP install? Nero burning ROM has a function
in it to create a bootable CD.

Old June 3rd 04, 02:07 PM
Jim T.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:44:55 -0600, "Chris Stolworthy"
wrote:

"Jim T." wrote in message
news
[...]

You say the obvious, don't consider me stupid! - I just want to be
ready to fully reinstall if needed. Nero requires that you have a
bootable image that will fit on a CD. Too much trouble.
Old June 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Jim T.

Just FYI - I really wanted to show the incredibly poor command of
English by this support person. Is it also indicative of their
competence? Have no idea where he or she may be.

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:07:56 -0400, Jim T.
wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:44:55 -0600, "Chris Stolworthy"
wrote:

news

Old June 3rd 04, 09:09 PM
Chris Stolworthy

wrote:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:44:55 -0600, "Chris Stolworthy"
wrote:

"Jim T." wrote in message
news I asked how I could make a recovery disk without a floppy drive -
[...]

Ummm Nero comes with a bootable image...I have used it to create JUST a
bootable cd to the prompt...I didn't consider you stupid at all. Aome
people I know have tried that, I don't consider them stupid...just
uninformed.

Old June 4th 04, 05:28 AM
*Vanguard*

Jim T. said in news
I asked how I could make a recovery disk without a floppy drive -
hoping this program would make a bootable CD - Here's the answer I got
- verbatim--

"With Windows Xp you need to a floppy drive in order to do a disaster
recovery. An alternative would be to create a backup job that will
backup both the system state and the C: drive.Using this backup you
will be able to restore you system to the state it was when you
created the backup. Format you drive, using you recovery disks
provided by HP restore the OS, install the backup software then
perform a restore"

?????

The only point in using the bootable floppy is to load the drivers
needed to support the backup device (tape, CD, DVD, USB drive, or
whatever). You could use a bootable CD to do the same thing. If you
don't want to use Nero to create its bootable CD, then use IsoBuster. I
believe you can put an .iso image of a bootable floppy on the CD to have
it perform the same boot loads as the floppy.

This assumes you have a computer whose BIOS is setup or can be
configured to boot from the CD drive. I've never personally seen a PC
that did not have a floppy drive but have heard that some do exist.

I remember a long time ago trying to make a recovery tape set where it
used a floppy with the backup tapes. However, it actually had to copy
the OS install CD in the process. The recovery had you boot using the
floppy, a basic install of the operating system got performed, and then
the backup program ran to recover the files. I have up on that logical
backup and restore method. I still do data backups but for disaster
recovery I have moved to physical backup and restore using disk images
(I use DriveImage). So I have logical backups (by file reads through
the file system) from tape, physical backups (by sector in a disk image
fileset), and I also backup the MBR.

*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
backup software - restore disk chris General 5 May 20th 04 03:39 AM
What kind of backup to use? JohnnyK General 4 May 15th 04 02:54 AM
Dlink and tech support 123xxxxx General 3 March 23rd 04 06:31 AM
Can a motherboards bios be upgraded to support faster CPUs? How? [email protected] General 0 September 28th 03 12:50 PM