Asus A7N8X Deluxe & Barton 2500+

Old August 17th 03, 04:45 PM
Naj

Default Asus A7N8X Deluxe & Barton 2500+

Starting a new thread with my overclocking questions, since I am now
running into specific issues:

I have my new system (Barton 2500+ in an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with 2x
256mb PC2700 RAM) hooked up, and I was looking at the Bios, and there
are a few odd things:

1. Default FSB was at 100, which I immediately upped to 166. Are there
any other stupid things like that on this board?
2. Looking at the multipliers, the last choice is 12.5/13. Why are
they listed together? Shouldn't 12.5 and 13 be separate choices?

Thanks!
Old August 17th 03, 06:00 PM
Skid

"Naj" wrote in message
om...
Starting a new thread with my overclocking questions, since I am now
running into specific issues:

I have my new system (Barton 2500+ in an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with 2x
256mb PC2700 RAM) hooked up, and I was looking at the Bios, and there
are a few odd things:

1. Default FSB was at 100, which I immediately upped to 166. Are there
any other stupid things like that on this board?

Lots of them. Bios settings are a black art, not a science. Asus, like most,
sets idiot-proof, lowest-common-denominator defaults designed to keep
novices out of trouble. There are plenty of bios and overclocking guides
around the net that will tell you how to tweak them for maximum performance.

2. Looking at the multipliers, the last choice is 12.5/13. Why are
they listed together? Shouldn't 12.5 and 13 be separate choices?

That would be logical, wouldn't it? It's actually to ensure compatibility
with a range of older cpus that use lower bus speeds and higher multipliers
and newer cpus that use higher bus speeds and lower multipliers. 12.5/13 is
the crossover point, and the individual cpu will use whichever it's set to
recognize.