Good Taiyo Yudens?

Old December 7th 05, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Good Taiyo Yudens?

Not sure if this is the right group to ask, but I'll ask anyway; if
another group would be better, please tell me which one. I just got
some Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, unbranded but with only a HP logo embedded into
the disc (same color as the layer) that you can only see if you look
closely. I know that, as they are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, they
are probably good, and I have been able to identify them as TY with CDR
Identifier. But are there "bad" Taiyo Yudens? Could they be fake TY?
Thanks!

Old December 7th 05, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Tha Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if this is the right group to ask, but I'll ask anyway; if
another group would be better, please tell me which one. I just got
some Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, unbranded but with only a HP logo embedded into
the disc (same color as the layer) that you can only see if you look
closely. I know that, as they are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, they
are probably good, and I have been able to identify them as TY with CDR
Identifier. But are there "bad" Taiyo Yudens? Could they be fake TY?
Thanks!

You need to look on the packaging for 'made in japan' apparently. I
think they said the bad ones are Taiwanese
--
Paul (Some of them, they surprise)
Stop and Look
Old December 8th 05, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Brendan R. Wehrung" wrote:

Paul Heslop ) writes:
Tha Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if this is the right group to ask, but I'll ask anyway; if
another group would be better, please tell me which one. I just got
some Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, unbranded but with only a HP logo embedded into
the disc (same color as the layer) that you can only see if you look
closely. I know that, as they are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, they
are probably good, and I have been able to identify them as TY with CDR
Identifier. But are there "bad" Taiyo Yudens? Could they be fake TY?
Thanks!

You need to look on the packaging for 'made in japan' apparently. I
think they said the bad ones are Taiwanese
--
Paul (Some of them, they surprise)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Got a deal yestereday. While there are more Taiwan than Japan-made Fuji
packages, I stumbled across 25-stacks for $4.99 (after rebate, but since
they said they could not find the forms, sold to me at $4.99) so i bought
4. The moral is that these were at the back, behind a pile of those made
in Taiwan. A pokey nose gets the bone.

Brendan

Nice one. We don't get this kind of stuff in the uk. My son was pretty
shocked when he made a trip to the states and saw all the rebate stuff
Old December 8th 05, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On 7 Dec 2005 13:31:06 -0800, "Tha Anonymous"
wrote:

Not sure if this is the right group to ask, but I'll ask anyway; if
another group would be better, please tell me which one. I just got
some Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, unbranded but with only a HP logo embedded into
the disc (same color as the layer) that you can only see if you look
closely. I know that, as they are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, they
are probably good, and I have been able to identify them as TY with CDR
Identifier. But are there "bad" Taiyo Yudens? Could they be fake TY?
Thanks!

There are fake Taiyo Yuden media out there. However, what you bought
wasn't fake and it might not be Taiyo Yuden but then if you heck out
the discs, you'll see that nobody said it was except you.

What you bought was HP media, as in Hewlett Packard. Their Cyanine
discs are made by Taiyo Yuden. However, all of the HP pthalocyanine
discs I've encountered are made in Taiwan and sourced from Ritek.
These are in no way "fake" because nobody (except your imagination)
has claimed them to be anything other than HP branded discs.

The counterfeit Taiyo Yuden discs are discs that are manufactured
using the Taiyo Yuden media ID. That means that the discs will show a
TY code when you run them through an ID program. However physical
examination of the discs physical characteristics will not match the
typical TY media it's fairly obvious when you compare the real thing
to the fakes.

Your suspicions, however, require a bit more conscious thought on your
part.
Thanks.

MCheu
Old December 8th 05, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Thanks for the info...I don't know where the discs are made, as I got
them from a spindle that was already opened...all I know is that they
look like unbranded media but the HP sign is visible if you look very
closely (it's like carved on top of the disc but not very apparent at
first glance). If I run them through CDR Identifier, I get the
following:
ATIP: 97m 24s 01f
Disc Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f / LBA: 359847)

Would that mean they are actual TYs?

Old December 8th 05, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Tha Anonymous" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the info...I don't know where the discs are made, as I got
them from a spindle that was already opened...all I know is that they
look like unbranded media but the HP sign is visible if you look very
closely (it's like carved on top of the disc but not very apparent at
first glance). If I run them through CDR Identifier, I get the
following:
ATIP: 97m 24s 01f
Disc Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f / LBA: 359847)

Would that mean they are actual TYs?

I believe it means that the cd was manufactured using TY equipment in part
or whole and the name was never changed. This whole business is I believe
very iffy and personally I don't worry about it. The major brands (sony,
hp,fuji etc.) are liable to get their media from a limited number of souces
and the best you can hope for is they hold these sources to certain quality
standards. It's their name (even the much maligned memorex)that will be hurt
if quality is poor. I've had pretty good luck with whatever I put in the
burner, but I stay away from complete unknowns. I could have picked up 50
dvd's made by Teon for $5 at Staples. I passed on this, but maybe they would
have worked fine.
Dave Cohen

Old December 8th 05, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

HP's older branded media is an opaque white or a semi-opaque blue.
Some of the newer media I've seen on the shelves resemble what you
describe.

HP is known to source their discs from TY sometimes, and the discs they
source from them do indeed use cyanine dye. These would be made in
Japan, and you might even see that if you look carefully. The
pthalocyanine HPs are made in Taiwan and usually sourced from Ritek
(can't say for certain that all of them come from Ritek). That's what
your scan shows. HP wouldn't use counterfeit media. It just doesn't
make sense to, as they're a major brand, and they have enough
purchasing power that the prices wouldn't be enough of a difference to
make the quality hit worthwhile. HP isn't a commonly counterfeited
brand either. Anything's possible, but going by what you say, there's
nothing to suggest it's fake TY.

Old December 9th 05, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

"Dave Cohen" ) writes:
[...]

I bought some of those last year and had to return them because I had so
many failures.

Don't buy "Teon."

Brendan