Water cooling - how many case fans would still be necessary? Tower case recommendations?

Old June 5th 09, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andrew Hamilton

Default Water cooling - how many case fans would still be necessary? Tower case recommendations?

I typically build full-tower systems but I'm tired of the fan noise.

For my next build, I'm probably going to do an Intel i7 920 and one of
the ASUS P6T models. Overclocked of course, because it sounds very
easy to get good results.

I'm not sure about the graphics card or cards, because I'm not a
gamer, but I do run Photoshop. Also, I have four drives in my system
now and I'll probably carry those over to my new system. Also, to
make Photoshop really, really run well, I'm thinking about a 12 GB
system, e.g. six 2GB memory sticks.

So I know I need "strong" cooling. That could be a lot of fans, or I
could go to water cooling.

Without getting into a detailed discussion of exactly which
water-cooling system and extreme overclocking, I'm wondering about
some basic questions:

How many fans can I eliminate or "downspec" (slower, quieter) with
water-cooling the CPU? Memory? VGA? Chipset? Anything else?

Is it even possible to eliminate the intake and exhaust case fans? Or
at least run them very slowly?

If I use an external radiator, am I stuck with noisy radiator fans, or
can I pick a system that gives me a very "quiet" radiator system?

Any suggestions for full-tower cases that are well-designed for
water-cooling? (or not?) I would be happy with a plain-looking case,
without side window, illuminated interior or fans, anything like that.
Thanks in advance.

-AH
Old June 5th 09, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Michael W. Ryder

Andrew Hamilton wrote:
[...]

You might want to look at www.silentpcreview.com as they talk about all
the things you are asking about.
Old June 5th 09, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken Maltby

"Andrew Hamilton" wrote in message
[...]

One way to look at it, is that you only need waterblocks on
componets that need fans. (One exception is for devices that
are also cooled by the fans installed on adjcent componets,
like the voltage regulators next to the CPU. [ASUS sometimes
provides a special fan for use on the voltage regulators if you
are watercooling the CPU.] You can get waterblocks for the
voltage regulators, as well.)

Is it even possible to eliminate the intake and exhaust case fans? Or
at least run them very slowly?

Yes. But you should maintain some positive airflow through
the box. For most installations that will be provided by the
power supply's fans. You could also use a large low speed
exaust fan near the highest point at the rear of the case. Such
fans are basically silent.

If I use an external radiator, am I stuck with noisy radiator fans, or
can I pick a system that gives me a very "quiet" radiator system?

If you build your own "external" system it's all up to you.
For instance, my watercooling system has the pump, radiator,
and reservoir in another room.

Any suggestions for full-tower cases that are well-designed for
water-cooling? (or not?) I would be happy with a plain-looking case,
without side window, illuminated interior or fans, anything like that.

Other than having a box big enough to accommodate any added
componets and room to route the tubing, there is no special case
design considerations, for watercooling.

Luck;
Ken

Old June 6th 09, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andrew Hamilton

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 18:56:07 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
wrote:

Andrew Hamilton wrote:

Any suggestions for full-tower cases that are well-designed for
water-cooling? (or not?) I would be happy with a plain-looking case,
without side window, illuminated interior or fans, anything like that.
Thanks in advance.

-AH

You might want to look at www.silentpcreview.com as they talk about all
the things you are asking about.

Thanks Funny thing. My current system is housed in an Antec P180,
which gets pretty favorable comments on this site. But I would like
my next system (or actually, case) to be a lot quieter. In this
system, I have all three case fans on high and I have four hard
drives, a combination of Seagate 7200.11 (not 12!) and Hitachi
Deskstar.

-AH
Old June 6th 09, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andrew Hamilton

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:52:30 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
wrote:

One way to look at it, is that you only need waterblocks on
componets that need fans. (One exception is for devices that
are also cooled by the fans installed on adjcent componets,

How about the memory sticks? Corsair sells fans for their Domininator
series. Is this a gimmick? I noticed that they even have a
water-cooling block on their website for this memory series.

like the voltage regulators next to the CPU. [ASUS sometimes
provides a special fan for use on the voltage regulators if you
are watercooling the CPU.] You can get waterblocks for the
voltage regulators, as well.)

Thank you. This is good to know.

Is it even possible to eliminate the intake and exhaust case fans? Or
at least run them very slowly?

Yes. But you should maintain some positive airflow through
the box. For most installations that will be provided by the
power supply's fans. You could also use a large low speed
exaust fan near the highest point at the rear of the case. Such
fans are basically silent.

I will probably get a case with a bottom-mounted power supply. This
seems to be more and more popular with bigger tower cases these days.
Since the PS fan blows out, then I guess I would need one intake fan
with more airflow than the PS fan.

If I use an external radiator, am I stuck with noisy radiator fans, or
can I pick a system that gives me a very "quiet" radiator system?

If you build your own "external" system it's all up to you.
For instance, my watercooling system has the pump, radiator,
and reservoir in another room.

That sounds nice, but is just not practical for me.

Any suggestions for full-tower cases that are well-designed for
water-cooling? (or not?) I would be happy with a plain-looking case,
without side window, illuminated interior or fans, anything like that.

Other than having a box big enough to accommodate any added
componets and room to route the tubing, there is no special case
design considerations, for watercooling.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments.

-AH

Luck;
Ken

Old June 6th 09, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Michael W. Ryder

wrote:

Andrew Hamilton wrote:

Any suggestions for full-tower cases that are well-designed for
water-cooling? (or not?) I would be happy with a plain-looking case,
without side window, illuminated interior or fans, anything like that.
Thanks in advance.

-AH

You might want to look at www.silentpcreview.com as they talk about all
the things you are asking about.

Thanks Funny thing. My current system is housed in an Antec P180,
which gets pretty favorable comments on this site. But I would like
my next system (or actually, case) to be a lot quieter. In this
system, I have all three case fans on high and I have four hard
drives, a combination of Seagate 7200.11 (not 12!) and Hitachi
Deskstar.

-AH

My current case at home is an original Sonata with an after-market sound
deadening foam kit installed. It is almost silent until my video card's
fan kicks in. Maybe you should look to see if there are any kits
available for your case.
You might also look at
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23...0-watercooling for
some ideas.
Old June 6th 09, 06:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken Maltby

"Andrew Hamilton" wrote in message

How about the memory sticks? Corsair sells fans for their Domininator
series. Is this a gimmick? I noticed that they even have a
water-cooling block on their website for this memory series.

As it happens I have 4GB of the 1066MHz DDR-2 in my
watercooled system and I don't use the fans that came with
them. The heat spreaders alone seem to be enough to let
them operate at 2.1v with no problems.

I will probably get a case with a bottom-mounted power supply. This
seems to be more and more popular with bigger tower cases these days.
Since the PS fan blows out, then I guess I would need one intake fan
with more airflow than the PS fan.

I have never found "intake" fans to be of much value. The only
situation where I found them worth while was where they were
used to overcome the effect of filtering the intake. They are of
no practical value for providing a proper airflow through a case.
Exaust fans pulling the air into and through the case seem to
provide the best results.

Luck;
Ken

Old June 7th 09, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Oldish Git

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message

[...]

Don't forget hard drives, which are possibly the most important part
of a system (or, should I say, what is stored on them is.) Most cases
have intake fans positioned to blow external air directly over the hard
drive bays, for good reason. Well designed watercooling addresses
this, of course, but at a cost.
HTH,
--
Rob

Old June 8th 09, 04:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andrew Hamilton

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 00:29:18 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
wrote:

So, can anyone tell me if there are watercooling systems
with _ quiet _ radiator fans? I have the _ impression _ that at least
some radiator fans for water-cooling systems are quite noisy.

-AH
Old June 8th 09, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken Maltby

wrote:

So, can anyone tell me if there are watercooling systems
with _ quiet _ radiator fans? I have the _ impression _ that at least
some radiator fans for water-cooling systems are quite noisy.

-AH

I actually posted something, but you haven't any of it here,
the above is all your own.

It would be an odd, or very cheap and poorly designed,
watercooling setup that didn't use the largest and quietest
fan available.

You might start by checking out what is available at these
sites:

http://www.dangerden.com/store/

http://www.frozencpu.com/

http://www.crazypc.com/