Looking for some help picking a HD

Old November 28th 03, 04:43 PM
TomM in NY

Default Looking for some help picking a HD

I want to add a second internal HD for my Compaq Presario 7594. I am not sure
what I need. I have been told the drive that is in it has a DMA/ATA-33 Ultra
interface. Does that mean that is the only type of drive I can put in it?

Thank you in advance,
tom
Old November 28th 03, 05:47 PM
Tom

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to add a second internal HD for my Compaq Presario 7594. I am not

sure
what I need. I have been told the drive that is in it has a DMA/ATA-33

Ultra
interface. Does that mean that is the only type of drive I can put in it?

Thank you in advance,
tom

Hi Tom

I'm from PA orig, but been in OR/WA area for 15 years.
Miss the snow

If I were you, I would buy something as big as you'll ever need, merge all
of your data over, then take the other one out and keep it as a backup.

They can both be in the same system, no problem, but newer drives are a lot
faster.
However, it also depends on the PC HD controller and PC itself as far as
overall performance.
I'd be looking at a newer machine if yours is too old.
You could also possibly add a controller.
All depends on what you need/want to do.

Tom

Old November 28th 03, 06:38 PM
Rod Speed

TomM in NY wrote in message

I want to add a second internal HD for my Compaq Presario 7594.
I am not sure what I need. I have been told the drive that is in it
has a DMA/ATA-33 Ultra interface. Does that mean that is the
only type of drive I can put in it?

Nope, any buyable ATA/IDE drive will be fine.

And there is a lot to be said for replacing the current drive.
The larger size usually costs peanuts more and thats easier to do.

Old November 28th 03, 07:11 PM
CWatters

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to add a second internal HD for my Compaq Presario 7594. I am not

sure
what I need. I have been told the drive that is in it has a DMA/ATA-33

Ultra
interface. Does that mean that is the only type of drive I can put in it?

Any modern drive with an ATA/IDE interface will do (but a drive with a SCSI
interface won't!).

Try something like a Western Digital WD1200JB (120GByte) or similar.