New Boxen problem; any ideas?

Old August 11th 04, 09:23 PM
Mimic

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:31:19 -0500, The Seventh Sign wrote:

Mimic wrote:

Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its speed
with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on the
way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i turn on
the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this would it ?

Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :P

P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
512 DDR 2700 [333]
Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
256mb Geforce4 gfx card
1 Zalman Fan controller
1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
1 DVDrom
1 DVDRW
3 Case fans
5 inline led's.
[the tubes are always turned off atm]

If you need the exact part specs just shout.

thx

i suggest 1 more fan and much more power!
450 watts to be exact.

He doesn't need a 450watt power supply...not unless he plans on burning a DVD while at the same time
playing a DVD while also playing Doom3 on top of it...not only that but a lack of power wouldn't be
slowing the system down...causing it to shut itself off yeah, but like I said, he's in no danger of
that happening.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹

well yes, it would, as a reduction in power to fans and the like would
increase the cpu temperature and cause it to perform at a lower rate.

--
Mimic
Old August 11th 04, 09:25 PM
RAMCable

"Mimic" dev@null wrote in message
[...]

Looks like you aren't the only one. Though it does get through the bootup
and goes to desktop, the system always gets 'stuck' for like about 2 mintues
and then it is fine again. Probably a bad install or bad HD??

RAMCable
--
"The World Wide Web is just like its namesake, the spider's web - full of
dirt and bugs." -- ERIC SCHWARTZ

Old August 11th 04, 09:26 PM
RAMCable

"ByteCoder" wrote in message
Mimic wrote:
Mimic wrote:

[...]

sorry, and a 40GB hdd @ 5400, and a 80GB hdd @ 7200 :P

I'd say you don't give it enough juice, or maybe it gets too hot and the
P4 slows down because of that (seriously doubt it).
Still, you got quite a lot of equipment on a 300W PSU.

You could also try turning of S-ATA controllers and the like if you
don't use them.

--
-------------
- ByteCoder - ... I see stupid people

I agree with the PSU bit. You should at least have a 450w or 500w PSU. I
actually subscribed to Maximum PC... Love that Mag...

RAMCable

Old August 11th 04, 09:26 PM
filesiteguy

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:09:45 +0100, Mimic dev@null pecked out:

Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the

If you want.... you could build me one, too, and I'll test it for you
at my house. Don't worry about a return address - I can post responses
by email.

kai
g2004 at g3prod.cotse.net
Old August 11th 04, 09:27 PM
FrozenNorth

On this fine day Mimic tossed the following into the public domain:

FrozenNorth wrote:

Mimic wrote:

Mimic wrote:

[...]

Which channels and in what order are the HDs, and optical drives hooked
up.

IDE 1 = 80 GB OS[XPp] [cs] && 40GB storage [cs]
IDE 2 = DVDRW[master] DVDROM[slave]

One thing I maybe shoulda mentioned, when IDE1 HDD1 is set to master,
the installation of XPp loops and never actually installs the full
working OS. I swapped it to Cable Select and it was fine :/

What happens if you yank out the 40 and set the 80 as master? I suspect it
may boot alot faster.

Probably the drive speeds conflicting and causing issues, also are both DVD
drives or all four drives specified in the boot search order?
--
Froz ...
Old August 11th 04, 09:40 PM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:19:42 +0100, Mimic dev@null wrote:

Lose the 5400rpm drive, it's laggin your whole system down. Also, using the boot up sequence is a
VERY poor test of the systems speed. I mean, whether you're running a 900Mhz Athlon or a 2.4Ghz
Pentium, they'll both boot up at about the same time. The only way to really speed up the boot is
to cut out things that it's loading that you don't need.

hatter dont be so lame, i have a serious issue that i would like to
resolve,

Then try to shut the **** and listen. Or be ignorant and stupid...your choice. I mean, the
opinions expressed so far are based on...what...Maximum PC magazine? *snicker* My opinions are
based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.

the fact that my storage hdd runs at 5400rpm doeswnt mean ****
as far as system speed goes.

Actually it REALLY does. Even if you've got it setup as just a slave/storage drive it's STILL gonna
slow it all down. In fact currently it is pretty much THE slowest component in your system.

Furthermore, my point was that it shoulnt
take over 3minutes for a system to boot. My old system booted in about
20secs

What OS was your old system running? You do realize there's a difference between operating systems,
right?

Old August 11th 04, 09:45 PM
Mimic

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:19:42 +0100, Mimic dev@null wrote:

Lose the 5400rpm drive, it's laggin your whole system down. Also, using the boot up sequence is a
VERY poor test of the systems speed. I mean, whether you're running a 900Mhz Athlon or a 2.4Ghz
Pentium, they'll both boot up at about the same time. The only way to really speed up the boot is
to cut out things that it's loading that you don't need.

hatter dont be so lame, i have a serious issue that i would like to
resolve,

Then try to shut the **** and listen. Or be ignorant and stupid...your choice. I mean, the
opinions expressed so far are based on...what...Maximum PC magazine? *snicker* My opinions are
based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.

Then you cant have had much experience

the fact that my storage hdd runs at 5400rpm doeswnt mean ****
as far as system speed goes.

Actually it REALLY does. Even if you've got it setup as just a slave/storage drive it's STILL gonna
slow it all down. In fact currently it is pretty much THE slowest component in your system.

It reduce sthe seek time for info yes. But it doesnt slow down the
system to this kind of level, or force the cpu upto 100%, I can assure
you it isnt the rpm of the hdd.

Furthermore, my point was that it shoulnt
take over 3minutes for a system to boot. My old system booted in about
20secs

What OS was your old system running? You do realize there's a difference between operating systems,
right?

Oh is there ? damn, well it worked on my win 3.11 fine, i thought it
would be the same on my xpp..... *slap* of course i know theres a
difference, its the same OS as the other box...exactly the same ;D heh

--
Mimic
Old August 11th 04, 09:46 PM
Onideus Mad Hatter

Mimic wrote:

[...]

....are you stupid? I mean, no, really. Do you know how much power those lil fans use? Trust me on
this one, not even anywhere ****ing CLOSE to the amount that say your DVD-RW uses. So boot into
Windows and burn a DVD, if it works, guess what? Yeah, not a power problem unless you wanna try and
claim your DVD-RW is burning a DVD during the boot up process.

Second of all, surely you've actually bought some sort of temperature controller for this system,
right? I mean, hello, an Aerogate II like the one I bought:
http://www.backwater-productions.net...s/aerogate.jpg
Yeah, REALLY not that expensive and it'll tell you the temperature of the case, CPU, HDs, as well as
the speed of all the fans.

Furthermore, your slow boot up is 99.9% likely to be the result of a amateurish ****ed installation
of whatever the hell operating system you're using than it is with electric power, cpu power, or any
other hardware component for that matter.

Old August 11th 04, 09:49 PM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:25:35 GMT, "RAMCable" wrote:

[...]

He doesn't say what file system he's using on the drives. It's also possible that it's some kind of
a problem with whatever dynamic drive overlay he's got on there.

Although I'm bettin that he just has a ****ed installation of WinXP. I wonder if he installed from
scratch or tried to do an "upgrade" install.

Old August 11th 04, 09:50 PM
Mimic

Meat--Plow wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:10:51 +0100, Mimic dev@null,wrote:

Mimic wrote:

[...]

New install of XP should boot up faster than that even if you're booting from
the 4500 rpm drive. Leave the RAM to be configured by SPD. Look in the system
and application event viewer for any red X's. That 300 watt supply is right on
the edge of not being adequate because that system can draw 300 watts when the
Prescott is thumping. I know, I have one on an Intel mobo.

*hopefully* its only the psu then, heh i knew it would be fairly weak
anyway because when you turn the tubes on the box reboots ;D
I checked the logs, nothing majorly gayed, I think ill just do a quick
reinstall of XPp cuz i wanna get nix on here asap :P and w all know what
a **** it is when you put doze on second :P

--
Mimic