Video Card and HDD Problems!

Old April 3rd 04, 09:21 AM
aatitan

Default Video Card and HDD Problems!

The specs of my computer are :

ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard VIA KT400 SktA
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Powercolor Radeon 9200 SE AGP 8X 128MB DDR (ATI Powered)
Western Digital 120GB Ultra ATA/100 HDD
PC 2700 DDR 1x512+1x256 MB RAM
Sony CDRW/DVD drive

When first I had set it up, I installed WinXP Pro and everything was
working fine until I ran a media file, in particular, a movie.
Whenever I play a movie, the comp. used to reboot itself. I figured
something was wrong with the AGP card, so ran the dxdiag and it reboot
again when I ran the 3D Acceleration test on it. I updated the drivers
from ATI website but it did not affect the system. After going through
a lot of forums, I thought that probably something is wrong with my
Windows itself, so reformatted the disk to install. Only this time it
refused to do it. It kept saying some file or the other was missing.
This happened when I tried installing either WinXP or Win2k Pro. I
tried using both NTFS/FAT32 but in vain.

I then successfully completed installation of Win2k Pro SP4 on a
different computer (Intel P4) and everything was fine. But when I
tried booting the hdd on my computer (AMD), it started giving errors
such as:

1. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
2. BIOS IS NOT FULLY ACPI COMPLIANT

The only ACPI setting that I see in the BIOS was "ACPI Suspend-to-RAM"
which was disabled. I do not know what it means and what effect does
it have on the system but I enabled it and still the same errors.
These 2 errors keep alternating. I tried installing Win2k on a
different partition but again after the setup got completed the same
errors started coming up.

Can anybody explain this odd behavior, plz? I have tried whatever
little computer hardware knowledge I have and have never faced with
such a problem.

Thanks.
Old April 7th 04, 05:50 PM
Malcolm

Hi there

When I first looked at your post I strongly suspected a DDR error not
a graphics error. Go to
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...x/overview.htm and have a
look at the overview for you motherboard and the "ASUS EZ Flash"
ability. It may give advice in the manual of how to set the BIOS.

Good Luck

malcolm

Old April 13th 04, 05:19 PM
Ace Cruiser

(Malcolm) wrote in message om...
[...]

I Can't explain it, but I may be able to help you fix it. First of
all, go into BIOS and turn ACPI off altogether. Let Windows handle
power management. Second, check the device IRQ list upon bootup and
make sure that you power management system has its own unique IRQ. If
it doesn't, then if the device sharing the IRQ is a PCI device like a
soundcard, swap the PCI card to a different slot. Install your OS of
preference with NTFS. I think it's safe to say it's not an OS issue,
but it does appear to be a matter of hardware fighting over resources.
A BIOS driver or flash upgrade may be in order. Also, ensure that all
motherboard and chipset drivers have been installed. See if the 4in1
Hyperion drivers are appropriate for your system. I haven't kept up to
date on the newer AMD's.

Hope that helps you out.
BTW, make sure that if the motherboard has built-in video that it is
jumpered/switched to disabled, and likewise with any other hardware
redundancies.