Xeon 533 FSB or P4 800 FSB ? (Corrected post)

Old December 11th 03, 12:33 AM
~misfit~

Ghazan Haider wrote:
As for the P4 vs P3, I really dont know. Theres the P4 Xeon, and then
theres the good but hot Athlon.

Huh? Man you're way behind the times. The latest P4s run a lot hotter than
the latest Athlons.
--
~misfit~

Old December 22nd 03, 02:54 AM
Bill Davidsen

Ghazan Haider wrote:

I had also been browsing some Ultra160 SCSI cards and their disks,
along with their response times, cache, throughput etc. Turns out they
equivalent to the cheaper and much larger SATA150 disks. I looked into
some 15K rpm Ultra320 disks but could never justify the cost. If you
plan to go Ultra160, might as well head for SATA and some 7200 disk
with 8mb cache and low response time.

Under heavy database write load the SCSI does have advantages, SCSI
drives accept the data and return status later when the physical write
has been done. ATAPI drives can (a) accept and cache the data then tell
you the write is complete (it's not, bad for database work) or (b) have
the write cache disabled, in which case the performnance will really rot.

There are other cases, but db is the one where you depend on the writes
really being done (via fsync or similar).

Above 400fsb I think the bottleneck is the disk and CPU, and other PCI
cards in the system. I wouldnt recommend going all the way to 800fsb
while getting weaker CPU performance.

It depends a lot on what you do, compute intensive applications can use
a LOT of memory bandwidth. Not just engineering calculations, but
graphics, games, etc. Add high video update rates to that and memory
bandwidth does make a difference.

--
bill davidsen
CTO, TMR Associates Inc

VRM on ebay Richard Compaq Computers 0 February 16th 04 10:31 PM
726131322574 money 726131322574 RASCH Asus Motherboards 0 February 15th 04 04:57 AM
<> XEON PROCESSORS AND MEMORY Alexander Gorban Packard Bell Computers 0 October 24th 03 07:05 AM
<> XEON PROCESSORS AND MEMORY Alexander Gorban Gateway Computers 0 October 24th 03 07:04 AM
<> XEON PROCESSORS AND MEMORY Alexander Gorban Compaq Servers 0 October 23rd 03 08:48 AM