P4P800 Dual Channel Memory Question

Old June 30th 03, 07:05 AM
Eric Wolfe

Default P4P800 Dual Channel Memory Question

Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some guidance about what RAM to buy for a
two new P4P800 motherboards.

I want to run W2K and Photoshop and to take advantage of dual channel
memory. I've been to the Asus site:

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/sock...0/overview.htm

but the specs there don't seem to pair up with the very limited descriptions
given by most vendors. I would like to equip both boards with a total of
1GB of DDR to start with and when the larger size memory chips become
available move the memory from the first machine to the second (giving it a
total of 2GB) and then equip the first machine with the maximum of 4GB. It
seems I need what Asus refers to as:

"C*- supports for 4 modules inserted into the blue black slots as two pairs
of Dual-channel memory configuration."

I'm not likely to OC the machines and I am on a budget so I'd like to buy
the lowest price ram that's likely to work in the P4P800. The Asus site
lists these modules as

512MB Apacer 77.10736.464 SAMSUNG DS K4H560838D-TCC4

512MB Transcend TS64MLD64V4F3 Mosel DS V58C2256804S AT5

512MB Winbond W9451GCDB-5 Winbond DS W942508CH-5

512MB SAMSUNG M368L6423ETM-CCC SAMSUNG DS K4H560838E-TCCC

512MB Hynix HYMD264646B8J-D43 AA Hynix DS HY5DU56822 BT-D43

I'm hoping someone can point me to a reliable, low cost retailer in the US
for 512MB modules that will fit my needs.

TIA,

Eric

Old June 30th 03, 08:22 AM
BNR

I would stay away from Samsung RAM. They have funny specs labeling.
If your an American, you'll have a hardtime finding Hynix RAM, since the USA
Govt puts tarriffs on it.

I know nothing about the other three. I put the part number I wanted in
Yahoo.com and it brought back a bunch of sites selling it. I narrowed it
down and got 2 512MB sticks for $220. Goodluck with yours.

Old June 30th 03, 08:27 AM
Lonny

"Eric Wolfe" wrote in message
[...]

I've got two 512MB TwinMOS modules in my Pc4800 Deluxe.
Inexpensive and works just fine.
I'm in UK but googling TwinMos reveals lots of US connections

Lonny

Old June 30th 03, 10:57 AM
Sam_I_Am

"Eric Wolfe" wrote in message ...
I am hoping someone can give me some guidance about what RAM to buy for a
two new P4P800 motherboards.

I'm not likely to OC the machines and I am on a budget so I'd like to buy
the lowest price ram that's likely to work in the P4P800. The Asus site

Crucial Technology http://www.crucial.com

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...P800&submit=Go

CT6464Z40B 512 MB modules are $93.99 each (free shipping).

Old July 1st 03, 12:38 AM
BNR

Rumor mill has it, some Motherboard companys favor some RAM companys in
design and BIOS settings. Like if there is no JEDEC standard for a RAM
chip, then what does the Motherboard/BIOs company set their "auto" feature
timings at? Oh mercy me! This can be confusing. Never use RAM auto
feature. This is why some folks say to never use "auto" in the RAM
settings. I don't wanna spread bad rumors. So please ignore what I'm about
to say. "I saw Asus hanging out by the water fountain with Corsair." If
that's a bad rumor, let me know, so I can spread the good rumor. Their is a
good rumor? Or are all these tech companys in somekind of nudist colony?

I do not use Corsair. And for full disclosure, I favor and bought Kingston
and own absolutely no stock, whatsoever. Except my 401k and now I must
liquidate that to buy a P4C00-E. I have to slow my Kingston down, they say
its too aggressive. Gggrrr, I'll show them TOO AGGRESSIVE! Spend a weekend
with an unstable pc and you get a little tempermental.

Goodluck

Old July 1st 03, 01:09 AM

I am not a seller of RAM as other posts seem to be. Sorry, but I'm tired of
doing a search and only seeing ebay and other offshore sellers.

I got talked into buying Kingston RAM 2 x 256 KVR400x64c25/256. The
automatic setting will not overclock. Haven't tried manual setting as my
system died after last BIOS update.

ASUS have a list of recomended RAM but I wish I had paid a bit more for the
Corsair.

Murray

Old July 1st 03, 02:49 AM
Eric Wolfe

"M" wrote:

I am not a seller of RAM as other posts seem to be. Sorry, but I'm tired

of
doing a search and only seeing ebay and other offshore sellers.

I guess you mates don't get a fair suck of the sav like we Seppos do when it
comes to having lots of choices in RAM vendors.

I have been trying to stick to dealers that I know, searching for exactly
the components that ASUS's site claims to work in the P4P800. After a
number of tedious and unproductive searches with Yahoo and Google I
discovered that one of my "marginal" vendors (ComputerGate) carries the
exact spec RAM (Apacer):

512MB Apacer 77.10736.464 SAMSUNG DS K4H560838D-TCC4

that ASUS lists as compatible in all four slots. I am going to go with
that, even though it's Samsung, because it's the only thing I could find
that exactly matched the listing on the P4P800 page and I've dealt with them
(mostly successfully - except for getting a used MB - with leaky capacitors
as new) before.

I got talked into buying Kingston RAM 2 x 256 KVR400x64c25/256. The
automatic setting will not overclock.

I don't think I'll be overclocking. I feel lucky enough to get the stuff to
work as advertised!

Haven't tried manual setting as my
system died after last BIOS update.

In the words of Bill the Cat: "Gack!" My last BIOS fiasco was with a
GigaByte Dual BIOS machine that booted, somehow, to an old version and
completely hosed my NT installation. That and a number of other interesting
problems with the GigaByte board brought me back to ASUS because I have 3
P5A's that have worked from the beginning without incident. You can't argue
with success.

ASUS have a list of recomended RAM but I wish I had paid a bit more for

the
Corsair.

I agree that Corsair is the way to go if you are going to overclock but I am
trying to build two machines on a *very* tight budget and with the large
amounts of memory I want, Corsair breaks the bank. I have used Apacer RAM
in two of the P5A's without any incident. I am willing to take a chance on
them - although the Mushkin stuff looks interesting - IIRC, it's not on the
ASUS list.

Thanks for your input. Ooroo, mate!

Eric

Old July 1st 03, 03:18 AM
Eric Wolfe

"BNR" wrote

Rumor mill has it, some Motherboard companys favor some RAM companys in
design and BIOS settings. Like if there is no JEDEC standard for a RAM
chip, then what does the Motherboard/BIOs company set their "auto" feature
timings at? Oh mercy me! This can be confusing.

Confusing is far too mild a word for it. I don't recall ever having to do
as much research as I have done for this P4P800 purchase. I decided to
switch back to Intel after burning up a AMD CPU due to a heat sink failure.
User error, to be sure, but a Pentium just slows down when it overheats
while I've learned that an AMD lets all its magic smoke out. Very poor
design to my way of thinking. It worries me that most of the posts here are
still AMD CPU-related. There is strength in numbers. I chose an Intel
platform for its alleged superiority in running Photoshop. We'll see.

Never use RAM auto feature. This is why some folks say to
never use "auto" in the RAM settings. I don't wanna spread bad
rumors. So please ignore what I'm about to say.

If you insist . . . :-)

"I saw Asus hanging out by the water fountain with Corsair." If
that's a bad rumor, let me know, so I can spread the good
rumor.

But they only recommend one Corsair module on their site:

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm

and even then it's not suitable for all four banks. That worries me.

Their is a good rumor? Or are all these tech companys in
somekind of nudist colony?

Every time I crack up a shrink wrapped mobo I look at it for a long time in
amazement wondering why the bloody things work at all. I wonder if anyone
ever counted up the man years of engineering that a typical modern mobo
represents. I would think it makes the Space Shuttle look simple. I just
junked an old XT populated with discrete IC's and 16K RAM chips. We've come
a long way baby. It's probably natural that there's some sort of collusion
between mobo makers and memory makers and that clear lines of favoritism
evolve.

I do not use Corsair. And for full disclosure, I favor and bought

Kingston
and own absolutely no stock, whatsoever. Except my 401k and now I must
liquidate that to buy a P4C00-E. I have to slow my Kingston down, they say
its too aggressive. Gggrrr, I'll show them TOO AGGRESSIVE! Spend a

weekend
with an unstable pc and you get a little tempermental.

I'm not looking forward to that angst of nursing a twitchy mobo to life. My
biggest kick is when I plug in the CPU, the RAM and the AGP card and it
comes to life without a hiccup. I am afraid those days are long gone.
There hasn't been a machine I have built in the last couple of years that
hasn't had some serious sort of bootup issue. In one case I had to buy a
slow Duron to boot the machine far enough to flash it to a later BIOS to
accept the Athalon that my vendor *swore* would work.

Goodluck

Thanks - hopefully I won't need dumptrucks full of luck and sweat to get the
P4P800 working,

Eric

Old July 1st 03, 03:20 AM
Eric Wolfe

"Jacque_Strapp" wrote

There's also a 10% off coupon right now, type 'ROJAK' (without the
quotes, all caps) in the coupon code box. I just got 2x512meg PC3500
sticks.

Thanks, but it's not an ASUS vetted memory. I am reluctant to take my
chances if it's not on the ASUS list.

Eric

Old July 1st 03, 02:48 PM
William Cheng @HSE

I've just recently upgraded to a P4P800-D with a 2.4c HT CPU and two sticks
of Hynix 512Mb Dimms. All went without a hitch - great motherboard, and the
two 512Mb are in the blue slots in dual channel mode. I am in Canada, but I
bought everything from Infonec:
http://www.infonec.com/mboard.htm
Scroll down to the Standard Regular DDR, the PC400 PC-3200 no-name brand
sticks for $115cdn are the Hynix sticks (you could call them to make sure -
since their supply varies). Try them, I don't know if they send to the
states - but remember its all in Canadian prices - so you'll get an even
better deal!!

Good Luck,
William