Any ideas why my new RAM won't work?

Old September 7th 08, 05:05 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
kony

Default Any ideas why my new RAM won't work?

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:43:02 GMT,
(David) wrote:

It might help if you told us the motherboard make, model, or
at least the northbridge chipset it uses, and what processor
you have installed since that effects whether you actually
need PC133 or could use PC100.

Generally low density PC133 memory is rare these days, most
is labeled PC100 even if it could do 133MHz to strangely
denote compatibility with the typical systems that need low
density memory because most were only using up to 100MHz
memory bus speed.

What make and model of memory is this? Can you tell if
there are original memory chip manufacturer's chip codes on
the individual chips themselves, and if so then posting what
those are might help someone determine more about the
memory.

Thanks again for the comments. (Btw, the whole lost cost me about 30
GBP / 605 USD, but I'm not too uptight about the cost - put it this
way, I've invested and wasted much more in PC matters in the past!)

I am a complete layman at this, so talk of (eg) northbridge is a bit
technical for me! I'm not even 100% sure what is meant by chip. If you
mean those black blocks, then they all have 8, just on one side. I
don't think I've ever (personally) come across any ram module that
wasn't, so that's news to me too.

I've hunted for the type (Kingston KTD-DM133) on the net, but again,
not one reference mentioned the density.

As for the motherboard, my little (not-as-reliable-now-as-I-thought)
program says it is:-

Intel SE440BX-2
Version AA720940-208
Serial GTS285050866

As I said earlier though, the online manual for SE440BX-2 did not
mention density (as far as I could see anyway).

David

Your memory is higher density than your motherboard, with
Intel 440BX chipset, supports. It will accept up to 256MB
per slot and 768MB total with 3 slots.

Since your motherboard does not support 133MHz memory bus,
you do not need PC133 memory and should buy PC100 instead.
While some PC133 memory will work, becauses there was a
brief period when most PC133 was low density, today the low
density PC133 memory is rare and no less expensive than the
PC100 low density type.

As mentioned previously, practically all reputable sellers
now most frequently use the term PC100 to denote the lower
density that your system needs. It will cost nearly twice
as much because being lower density it uses twice the number
of chips to achieve 256MB.

I suggest you seek a refund for this memory if possible and
consider whether it is worth the cost to upgrade the memory
when the money can be put towards replacement. At this
point the system is about 10 years old and while your
SE440BX motherboard was very good quality for it's time,
nothing lasts forever. At this point you may find parts
like the power supply or others are nearing the end of their
lifespan, again increasing cost, money that could be applied
towards a new system that you could more likely expect to
get another 10 years out of.
Old September 7th 08, 05:27 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
Mike Walsh[_2_]

David wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:06:13 -0600, Ken wrote:

You should download the complete manual on your MB if you have not
already done so. Some MBs will not accept what is called high density
RAM. That is determined most often by how many ICs are on each stick.
This could be your problem. Get all the info possible before coming to
any conclusions.

Thanks to all those who responded. Taking it back to the shop is a
last alternative, as I didn't buy them in my own town, and it's a bit
tricky getting back. But that's by the by. This concept of high and
low density is completely new to me, and I thought I'd make this my
first avenue of investigation.

I found from the internet the LOW is 64x8 and HIGH is 128x8. I don't
understand how these figures related to 256, but ignoring that for the
moment, it rung a bell. I HAVE seen (eg) 64x8 mentioned on an (old)
ram stick before, in amongst all the various serial nos. on the
sticker (sometimes several stickers!)

Unfortunately there is no such indication on these new sticks. I've
also spent a good half an hour browsing the net with the serial
number, and yes, I found dozens and dozens of references (usually from
shops!) but whilst they all said SDRAM, PC133 etc., not one single
person mentioned if it was a high or low density item.

I'm feeling right now that they must be high, and that my motherboard
does not cater for them (will start my search for a manual to confirm
that shortly) but all the same, I'd love to know if there is any other
way I can tell high from low? (In case I ever buy ram in the future,
new or used, and it doesn't say which).

High density and low density are relative terms. A chip that was considered high density a few years ago is now considered low density. A rule of thumb is a DIMM with 8 chips is considered low density (relative to the motherboard) and a DIMM with 4 or 2 chips is high density.

--
Mike Walsh
Old September 7th 08, 06:56 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
jaster

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:26:25 -0400, kony thoughfully wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:52:31 GMT, jaster wrote:

You paid $200US for 3-256 PC133? versus $90US for motherboard/cpu
combo and $40US 2GB DDR.

Maybe my eyes are going bad but where did he write that he'd paid
$200? 256MB/PC133 is about $15 a module, maybe a little more in retail
stores.

How much in tax and shipping for the original? If he bought them
online, return shipping is ??? If the replacements don't work that's how
much more in shipping plus tax?

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how much he paid the memory doesn't work!

Buying online usually saves a significant amount of money even
considering the odds that a small percentage of that savings would
eventually be used to return something to the seller.

Everyone who regularly deals with computer hardware accepts that sooner
or later (Or all the time) something will have to be returned to the
seller. What's the other alternative? Having to drive to the brick and
mortar store which costs more time, gasoline and vehicle wear.

Where I buy my components I get 14 days for cpu and memory and 30 days no
question return policy. And prices are usually better than the best
NewEgg price.
Old September 7th 08, 07:04 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
jaster

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:05:38 -0400, kony thoughfully wrote:

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:43:02 GMT,
(David) wrote:

[...]

Wasn't that what I said???

The OP should open a Return Merchandise Ticket with Kingston Memory
support to exchange the PC133 for PC100. Their memory is guaranteed and
they should be able to provide working PC100 256 memory if he specifies
the correct motherboard manufacturer and model (SE440BX-2).
Old September 7th 08, 07:05 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
jaster

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:27:01 -0400, Mike Walsh thoughfully wrote:

David wrote:

[...]

Number of chips does not indicate density.
Old September 7th 08, 07:15 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
kony

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 17:56:39 GMT, jaster
wrote:

Buying online usually saves a significant amount of money even
considering the odds that a small percentage of that savings would
eventually be used to return something to the seller.

Everyone who regularly deals with computer hardware accepts that sooner
or later (Or all the time) something will have to be returned to the
seller. What's the other alternative? Having to drive to the brick and
mortar store which costs more time, gasoline and vehicle wear.

Where I buy my components I get 14 days for cpu and memory and 30 days no
question return policy. And prices are usually better than the best
NewEgg price.

Great, but if you don't tell us where you buy your
components then what good is it to know this?

If it's a local store, can we come live with you?
Old September 7th 08, 08:37 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
Mike Fontenot

David wrote:

As for the motherboard, my little (not-as-reliable-now-as-I-thought)
program says it is:-

Intel SE440BX-2
Version AA720940-208
Serial GTS285050866

How did you get that info printed out? I recently bought a Dell
Inspiron 530, and I haven't been able to find out the make and model
number of my motherboard...I would REALLY like to have that info, and
the manual that goes with it.

Mike Fontenot
Old September 7th 08, 09:29 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
kony

wrote:

I'm feeling right now that they must be high, and that my motherboard
does not cater for them (will start my search for a manual to confirm
that shortly) but all the same, I'd love to know if there is any other
way I can tell high from low? (In case I ever buy ram in the future,
new or used, and it doesn't say which).

High density and low density are relative terms. A chip that was
considered high density a few years ago is now considered low density.

Agreed, chip density continued to climb and newer chipsets
continued to support that. Whether it was 66MHz, PC100,
133, DDR, DDR2, etc, were separate divisions occuring
concurrent to this perpetual density doubling over time.

A rule of thumb is a DIMM with 8 chips is considered low density
(relative to the motherboard) and a DIMM with 4 or 2 chips is high density.

Not necessarily, in this case with PC133 his 256MB modules
have 8 chips. I have 128MB high density PC133 with 4 chips.

Generally, except for notebook SO-DIMMs it is becoming rare
for much volume of memory to be made that doesn't at least
take up the entirely of one side of the PCB... meaning 8
chips or 16. They certainly could make it with 4 but it
doesn't sell so well since all the inherant manufacturing,
distribution, and every other overhead still has to be paid
for so the result is doubling the module capacity from 4
chips to 8 can be a single digit # of dollars difference.

Old September 7th 08, 09:40 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
kony

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 13:37:31 -0600, Mike Fontenot
wrote:

David wrote:

As for the motherboard, my little (not-as-reliable-now-as-I-thought)
program says it is:-

Intel SE440BX-2
Version AA720940-208
Serial GTS285050866

How did you get that info printed out? I recently bought a Dell
Inspiron 530, and I haven't been able to find out the make and model
number of my motherboard...I would REALLY like to have that info, and
the manual that goes with it.

Mike Fontenot

Back then, things were easier IMO. SE440BX & rev.-2 was one
of the most popular OEM motherboards.

However, today we have Google, which found wikipedia, which
claims:

"When ordered with an Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad processor, the
530 is equipped with a FoxConn G33m03 motherboard and a
LiteOn 375W power supply. When ordered in any other
configuration, the 530 is typically equipped with a FoxConn
G33m02 motherboard and a 300W Bestec power supply. The
G33m02 and G33m03 are essentially identical except for the
power regulation section of the motherboard. Essentially,
the G33m02 is a depopulated (cheaper) version of the board
which only has 6 voltage regulator IC's as opposed to the 11
voltage regulators on the G33m03. In practice, this means
that the G33m02 version of the motherboard is physically
incapable of providing enough current to operate the Intel
Q6600 CPU. In essence, if you do not order the Quad Core
processor with the system initially, you will NOT be able to
upgrade it to one later."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron

So if that's correct, then your board should look at least a
little like the following (though cosmetic things like
heatsinks or color might differ),
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/produc...D=en-us0000319

IMO, pretty sneaky of Dell to change both motherboard and
power supply based on which processor is installed, if the
above is true.

Old September 8th 08, 04:44 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
Mike Fontenot

Many thanks, Kony. That was EXACTLY the information I needed. My
Inspiron user's manual is consistent with what you said, including a
warning about the motherboards being different for the quad-cpu versions
compared with all the other versions. My user's manual also says that
the non-quad versions have a 300w power supply, and the quad versions
have a 350w supply (a little less than the 375w supply in wiki)...Dell
had told me that I had a 350w supply, but I think that was probably bad
info, unless the user's manual is out of date.

The only downer in that link was that the FoxConn downloadable manual
looks like it has been compressed onto two pdf pages of microfilm, and
is almost illegible on my wife's MAC. But I've got an email into
FoxConn, and I might get my questions answered that way.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike Fontenot

kony wrote:

[...]

Any ideas why my new RAM won't work? David[_15_] General 28 September 10th 08 09:07 PM
Why does hd defrag work when they work on virtual/logical blocks rather than physical? Anthony Paul Storage (alternative) 17 December 27th 06 10:28 PM
help, out of ideas marsboy Printers 3 November 19th 04 10:48 AM
ATI All In Wonder 8500DV problems: I cannot get this card to work in Windows2000,except if I turn the acceleration all the way off.I have tried everything. It will work for about 10-20 minutes,and then all the text just goes berzerk.Looks kinda like TheWalrus Ati Videocards 3 November 8th 04 07:55 PM
SONY DW-U18 DVD RW drive won't read on my new ASUS P4800-E but works fine on my machine at work??? Ideas? Reg Federrer Cdr 0 August 19th 04 11:51 PM