Auto switching Ethernet Switch???!

Old October 10th 03, 08:29 PM
david

Default Auto switching Ethernet Switch???!

Ok, I just purchased an Auto switching Ethernet Switch - model ESK 105
- and the store I bought it from told me I could hook two computers up
(at the same time if needs be) to my cable modem. Therefore having
two computers hooked up to cable modem - internet access on both
computers.
So, I think this is great because the price is right. I get home and
there are no instructions on this thing. No problems, easy enough to
set up. These are the steps I took:

Run the cable from the network card in Computer 1 to the Switch box -
Run the cable from the network card in Computer 2 to the switch box.
Run the cable from the modem to the the switch box.

Therefore all cables lead to the switch box. There is no difference
in any of the slots in the switch box.

Does not work. I get Collisions (that is the amber light on the
switch). All of the slots are the same and the box shows that any
computer can be hooked into any of the slots....

So what gives? What have I done wrong?

Old October 10th 03, 09:49 PM
Bob Day

"david" wrote in message
[...]

C-Com??? Never heard of them. You bought an el-cheapo
brand from a company that not only doesn't include instructions,
but doesn't even offer any support on its website (their
"Service/Support" button doesn't work). Take it back and get
a decent box, such as a Microsoft "5-Port Switch", Model MN-150.

-- Bob Day

Old October 10th 03, 10:14 PM
MrToad

david wrote:

[...]

Buy a home-gateway router instead, with a stand alone switch you'll need
two separate IP's from your ISP to get them both to access the 'Net at
the same time.

--
MrToad

Old October 10th 03, 10:33 PM
Bob Day

"MrToad" nospam@nospam wrote in message
david wrote:

[...]

Not true. At least not for Windows XP. You can use
"Internet Connection Sharing" on one computer with the
option, "This computer connects directly to the Internet",
and on the other computer with the option "This computer
connects to the Internet through another computer", and
it will use just one IP address. No need for a router;
all you need is a hub.

-- Bob Day
http://www.bob.day.name

Old October 10th 03, 10:56 PM
david

If I decide to keep this one, is there a workaround or a way to get
this going ?!? We are both using win98. Thanks

Old October 11th 03, 12:33 AM
DaveW

You probably need to wire the cable modem to the switch box using a special
cable called a 'crossover cable'. This advice assumes that you were
accurate in your description of the switch box and that it didn't have a
port marked 'Uplink", which is where the modem cable should have been
plugged in using your present cable.

--
DaveW

Old October 11th 03, 01:12 AM
JT

david wrote:

[...]

You also need 2 network cards in the computer doing the sharing. And the
firewall, security, etc. of XP doing ICS is not quite as good as most
routers.
Old October 11th 03, 02:45 AM
Vanguard

When using one host as the Internet gateway, you will need 2 network
devices. One would be an Ethernet network card for you intranet. The
other can be an Ethernet card going to a DLS/cable modem or a modem to
dial-out. You will using the ICS host as a gateway. That requires two
network interfaces.

Of course, when using a host as an Internet gateway, it must be left
powered up all the time so all the other hosts on your intranet can make
a connect through your ICS host. If the ICS host is powered down,
hangs, or some other problem occurs that interferes with either network
interface then everyone on the intranet has lost Internet access. A
DSL/cable router is a much better solution. It consumes far less power
than an entire computer left running, it is more reliable than using
Windows, and they often come with a built-in switch so you don't need a
separate one. You might want to get a small UPS to use for the router
or use the UPS you have for your computer, but if you don't use any
UPSes on your computers then there's no point in just keeping the router
up by itself.

The DSL/cable router probably has NAT (network address translation)
unless you get an old one. This lets the router look like a computer
because it gets assigned the IP address from your ISP's server (just
like your own computer would). Some ISPs still will not allow home
networking and you must buy another IP allocation from them. If you
have 5 home PCs then you have to pay extra to get 4 more DHCP-assigned
IPs from them. Otherwise, only one host at a time could use the ISP
since that's the only IP address that has been currently assigned by
their DHCP server to accept for connections on your account with them.
The NAT router gets one DHCP-assigned IP address from them so all the
ISP ever sees is just the one "computer" on your account. The NAT
router then becomes your DHCP server from which you get IP assignments
to your intranet hosts. If you have more hosts on your network than
there are ports available on the router, you can use the switch
downstream of one of the ports to give you more ports to connect hosts
(basically you build a tree of switches). Although NAT routers will
usually allow its DHCP server to allocate 100 IP addresses or more, most
of those sold for home-use will only handle the traffic for about 15
hosts after which the processor within the NAT router cannot keep up
with the speed necessary to switch amongst all the concurrent
connections through it for local and outbound connections.

Regardless of using a DSL/cable router or just using a hub or switch to
the DSL/cable modem, a switch is still much better than a hub. A hub
present a single signal backplane which will result in more contentions
between hosts. A switch dedicates a signal path to each connection and
results in less contention. That's why switches cost more than hubs.
Switches have a processor. Hubs don't. See
http://snurl.com/hub_vs_switch for some info regarding hubs versus
switches.

If you use one of your computers as a gateway with 2 network interfaces
and ICS then you have that host connected to the DSL/cable modem (for a
NIC) or a telephone line (for modem dial-up) and your intranet is on the
other network interface in that ICS host. If you only have 2 computers,
there's no need for a switch; just connect the NIC in the downstream
host to the NIC in your ICS host. If you have 3 or more hosts then you
would connect the switch to the intranet NIC on your ICS host and attach
your intranet hosts to the switch. If you instead get a NAT router, it
connects to your DSL/cable modem and probably has 4 or more ports to
which you connect your intranet hosts. If you have more hosts than the
number of downstream or intranet ports on the NAT router then use the
switch.

I don't know what is implied by the "Auto switching" in the product's
name of "Auto switching Ethernet switch". Sounds redundant to me. A
switch is always automatic. A switch is always switching (well, I
suppose, not if only one host is attached on its downstream side).
Either it is a switching hub (aka switch) or it is a passive or
repeating hub (repeating hubs, also called active hubs, regenerate the
signal by cleaning it up and boosting it so they require power).

Old October 11th 03, 02:47 AM
Vanguard

Hubs (passive, active, or switching) never need a cross-over cable.
They are supposed to figure out if the TX/RX lines needs to be swapped.
You need a cross-over cable when hooking one NIC to another NIC (and
with no intervening hub).

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old October 11th 03, 03:20 AM
Bob Day

s.com...

david wrote:

[...]

In my view, the Windows XP firewall is just fine.
I use the hub setup I described, and both of my
computers show up totally "stealth" on Internet
security vulnerability tests, except for a couple of
ports I keep open on purpose.

-- Bob Day

Unexpected system switch off Tony Cooper General 3 September 8th 03 06:21 AM
Using PS/2 and USB with a KVM Switch? Thomas M General 0 July 31st 03 11:21 AM
Computer switches off ~misfit~ General 8 July 27th 03 11:38 AM
Serial Mouse with KVM Switch Thomas M General 2 July 16th 03 07:43 PM
KVM Switch for Both PS/2 and AT Connectors Alien Zord General 5 July 9th 03 07:19 PM