PCWorld shock horror

Old November 24th 04, 05:32 PM

Default PCWorld shock horror

After some weeks looking around for a USB PCI card with some internal
connectors, and finding no budget kit in stock at the usual suspects,
I decided to look at PCWorld's site. (I'd site an ad for a sale.)

PCWorld has an offshoot that sells components. There, I found not just
one option, but two, one with a higher spec than anything else I'd
seen, and at a lower price than the likes of eBuyer.

Start at:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/pccomponents/

Not a big catalogue, but might help you out of a hole for stuff needed
in a hurry.

Then again, it may not turn up before Christmas!

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old November 25th 04, 05:51 AM
BUFF

Ever since they bought that distributor (who's name escapes me) they have
been getting their act together at least as far as PCW Components online.
Some of the prices in store are still laughable though.

Old November 25th 04, 09:14 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:51:26 GMT, "BUFF" wrote:

Ever since they bought that distributor (who's name escapes me) they have
been getting their act together at least as far as PCW Components online.
Some of the prices in store are still laughable though.

And their software policy's are not that good. I attempted to retun a
game simply becuase it didn't work (consistenly crashed due to a bug).
Their response was that its not their policy to alow returns due to
incompatibility and that it runs fine on their PC (well they installed
it and that was good enough). I couldn't swap the disk as they said it
installed fine so wasn't faulty media. So pretty much there is no
warranty on software other than if the disk is obviously defective.

I asked him if they do comply to trading standards regulations and
what about "fit for intended purpose" as the box said runs on Windows
XP and it didn't and got the same "not out policy" spiel. Oh well. I
guess I'll give it to my mate for Xmas as he has a Win 98 box still
(which I know it runs on).

--
Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
You come and glow, you come and glow.
Old November 25th 04, 09:36 AM
Niall Leonard

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:51:26 GMT, "BUFF" wrote:

Ever since they bought that distributor (who's name escapes me) they have
been getting their act together at least as far as PCW Components online.
Some of the prices in store are still laughable though.

I saw a 'bargain bin' near the front door of my local branch loaded
with 1.8m USB cables for sale. We're not asking for £4.99... not even
£9.99... but £14.99! Each!

nl
Old November 25th 04, 05:42 PM

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:51:26 GMT, "BUFF" wrote:

Ever since they bought that distributor (who's name escapes me) they have
been getting their act together at least as far as PCW Components online.
Some of the prices in store are still laughable though.

It looked like it had been acquired somehow. Prices of trivial bits
like "Power Y cable" seem to be among the lowest around.

Reporting back on the experience, the delivery turned up around mid
morning. The package tracking is the best I have seen.

Sadly, one of the five or six items was wrong. A 4 port USB board
rather than 4+1.

But it turned out to be easy to get an RMA on-line. (But wait until
they email notification of despatch, which happened after the thing
arrived.)

By luck, I had ordered two slightly different cards. The dearer one
did turn up.

One quibble, they price items without VAT and add it afterwards. Fine
if, like me, you reclaim VAT, but not if you are a punter counting
pennies.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old November 25th 04, 05:43 PM

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:14:55 +0000, Gama Chameleon
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:51:26 GMT, "BUFF" wrote:

Ever since they bought that distributor (who's name escapes me) they have
been getting their act together at least as far as PCW Components online.
Some of the prices in store are still laughable though.

And their software policy's are not that good. I attempted to retun a
game simply becuase it didn't work (consistenly crashed due to a bug).

-----End Quoted (and cut) Message-----

The site I am talking about has no software beyond some Norton stuff.
As I never buy anything from Norton, their software policy is
irrelevant to me.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old November 25th 04, 07:48 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Niall Leonard" wrote in message
I saw a 'bargain bin' near the front door of my local branch loaded
with 1.8m USB cables for sale. We're not asking for £4.99... not even
£9.99... but £14.99! Each!

Gold plated ones can be had from ebuyer for about £5 or less

Old November 27th 04, 11:35 AM
Dr Teeth

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:51:26 GMT, "BUFF" wrote:

Some of the prices in store are still laughable though.

They do have some good deals though, it helps to keep an eye on the
market.

shame I have bought there on occasion when the price is right
/shame.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 29th 04, 03:25 AM
Anton Gÿsen

tHatDudeUK wrote:
"Niall Leonard" wrote in message

I saw a 'bargain bin' near the front door of my local branch loaded
with 1.8m USB cables for sale. We're not asking for £4.99... not even
£9.99... but £14.99! Each!

Gold plated ones can be had from ebuyer for about £5 or less

Or from someone on eBay for about £1.50