ethernet to USB is very slow...help?

Old February 5th 05, 05:41 PM
jtsnow

Default ethernet to USB is very slow...help?

When I send data over my home LAN ethernet to a hard drive running on a USB
2.0 its very slow data transfer. This is PC to PC over 100baseT wired home
LAN to do disk backups. The slowness occurs in the translation from
10baseT100 to the USB 2.0 and the CPU is 100% utilized.

Are there cards that offload the CPU processing needed to do this
translation?

I have a PCI combo card (w/firewire), brand new installed.

The following clues narrow the problem down to the USB to ethernet
conversion as the problem.:

PC to PC over ethernet from installed HD to installed HD is very fast.
PC from its own C: drive to the USB 2.0 drive is very fast.
but when do PC to PC over ethernet to save data on theh USB 2.0 drive its
very very slow...like 5x slower then drive C: to USB 2.0.

Any thoughts?

Old February 5th 05, 06:34 PM
Nik Simpson

jtsnow wrote:
When I send data over my home LAN ethernet to a hard drive running on a USB
2.0 its very slow data transfer. This is PC to PC over 100baseT wired home
LAN to do disk backups. The slowness occurs in the translation from
10baseT100 to the USB 2.0 and the CPU is 100% utilized.

Are there cards that offload the CPU processing needed to do this
translation?

I have a PCI combo card (w/firewire), brand new installed.

At a very rough guess, did you install this PCI card in the last slot
you had available (i.e. the bottom slot on the motherboard. On a lot of
boards, this slot is shared with an ISA slot and is incapable of bus
mastering. If that's the case, then card is dumbing itself down to
handle the condition and generating an interrupt for each I/O transfer
which will bring the CPU to its knees. Try moving the card to another
slot and see if that makes any difference.

--
Nik Simpson
Old February 5th 05, 07:03 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Install Windows service pack. Unpatched WinXP had a problem with high speed
on USB 2.0 - 100% CPU and all is slow.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation