Warranty Length Not Related To Drive Life?

Old July 29th 04, 09:18 AM
Jesper Monsted

"PM" wrote in news:ce9hmj$ufr$1
@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

Maxtor used to be the absolute worst **** money could buy, then they got
very good, but are losing quality again, it seems.

Are you talking about the IDE drives or SCSI drives. My experience of the
IDE drives is that, if they last, they are very good. Regards the SCSI
drives though, they always appear to be rated very highly - I have a few
10K3 drives and I was considering sticking with Maxtor for a forthcoming
upgrade. Are there problems with the current 15K offerings?

Ah, the SCSI drives are Quantum - they've always been good, in my
experience

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old July 29th 04, 01:57 PM
chrisv

Jesper Monsted wrote:

chrisv wrote in
:

Wacko jibber snipped.

Shouldn't the post be empty, then? There's nothing but wacko ranting coming
from the ronnie-beast.

True, I didn't snip all of Rod^Hn's jibber. Maybe I should have. 8)

Old July 29th 04, 03:32 PM
Impmon

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:54:00 +0100, "PM" wrote:

Are there problems with the current 15K offerings?

A frying pan would help as those high speed drives can get really hot.
Nothing like fresh eggs and bacon while reading emails in the morning.

Do make sure your PC case have excellent cooling system before
considering 10K+ drives.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Old July 29th 04, 05:57 PM
Paul Repacholi

Jesper Monsted writes:

Maxtor used to be the absolute worst **** money could buy, then they
got very good, but are losing quality again, it seems.

Not really. Spun up a pair of 380MB ESDI drives last night. Anyone
remember them? Seem fine, once the grease warmed up a bit and got
spread around a little

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old July 29th 04, 11:16 PM
Ron Reaugh

"Impmon" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:54:00 +0100, "PM" wrote:

Are there problems with the current 15K offerings?

A frying pan would help as those high speed drives can get really hot.

No, users let them get hot. It's the users responsibility to keep the HDs
cool.

Nothing like fresh eggs and bacon while reading emails in the morning.

Do make sure your PC case have excellent cooling system before
considering 10K+ drives.

Or use drive coolers.

Old July 29th 04, 11:32 PM
Jesper Monsted

chrisv wrote in
:

True, I didn't snip all of Rod^Hn's jibber. Maybe I should have. 8)

Or just snip Ron entirely - let the jihad guys in Iraq have him.

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old July 30th 04, 02:14 PM
chrisv

Jesper Monsted wrote:

chrisv wrote:

True, I didn't snip all of Rod^Hn's jibber. Maybe I should have. 8)

Or just snip Ron entirely - let the jihad guys in Iraq have him.

He'd fit right in with those wackos. Pretty soon we'd have terrorist
attacks on SCSI controller makers, not to mention the heretics at
storagereview.com... 8)

Old July 30th 04, 06:14 PM
Johan Kullstam

"Ron Reaugh" writes:

Has anyone ever heard anyone claim that the length of a HD's warranty was
simply a marketing and price point decision by the mfg and the warranty
length has nothing to do with expected drive life?

It cannot be *totally* unrelated. A manufacturer doesn't want a whole
lot of returns. You can expect that *most* drives will *at least*
make it through the warranty period.

A hard drive is free to continue operation well past the warranty
expiration time. As far as I can tell, the 3 to 1 year standard ATA
warrenty shorting has had no impact on actual drive lifetimes.

Somewhere I think I
remember someone making such a claim and a bunch of trolls tried
unsuccessfully to shoot him down?

--
Johan KULLSTAM
Old July 30th 04, 10:14 PM
Jesper Monsted

chrisv wrote in
:

He'd fit right in with those wackos. Pretty soon we'd have terrorist
attacks on SCSI controller makers, not to mention the heretics at
storagereview.com... 8)

Actually, i'd prefer if they'd just implant a large storage system in his
rectal passage, but seeing him get blown up by a tomahawk missile could be
fun, too

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old July 30th 04, 10:18 PM
PM

"Impmon" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:54:00 +0100, "PM" wrote:

Are there problems with the current 15K offerings?

A frying pan would help as those high speed drives can get really hot.
Nothing like fresh eggs and bacon while reading emails in the morning.

Do make sure your PC case have excellent cooling system before
considering 10K+ drives.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Indeed they can - I have a Lian Li case which, so far, appears upto the job.
I was looking at getting CD bay drive coolers for any 15k drives I get..

Thanks for your advice

PM