NAS solution, Netapp or EMC

Old October 20th 03, 05:18 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
Prefetch for sequentially accessed files is in NT since version 3.1, and is
governed by a flag to CreateFile - you can turn it off if you want.

Not surprised. NT seems to have a fairly decent OS buried somewhere
beneath the horror that is Win32.

USER in particular is horror, though yes, there are some UNIX "toolkits" which
are even more horror-some.

True. If I had the choice of using a different "toolkit" on NT I'd be a lot
happier about using it in general.

As about GDI and the NT kernel - decent stuff, though there are drawbacks
which make the script-based and command-line administration more complex.

Interix handles a lot of that, but it's not completely independant of Win32.

The things that really bother me about NT, as opposed to Win32, are that GDI
is non-optional (well, for all practical purposes) and that it seems to
have some fairly deep assumptions that you're not going to be running multiple
instances of a given application.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All
Old October 20th 03, 07:13 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

The things that really bother me about NT, as opposed to Win32, are that GDI
is non-optional (well, for all practical purposes) and that it seems to
have some fairly deep assumptions that you're not going to be running

multiple
instances of a given application.

??? why? you can try by opening, for instance, 100 Notepads.

Looks like this is the app's bug and not GDI's one. More so. There is no
trivial ways in Win32 for the app to know whether an instance of it is already
running. Some perversions are necessary for this.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old October 20th 03, 08:33 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
The things that really bother me about NT, as opposed to Win32, are that GDI
is non-optional (well, for all practical purposes) and that it seems to
have some fairly deep assumptions that you're not going to be running
multiple instances of a given application.

??? why? you can try by opening, for instance, 100 Notepads.

I didn't say "you can't run multiple instances". I said the OS assumes
you aren't going to.

But the application has to explicitly use things like event and registry
key names that are unique to each instance of the application, or else
share them among all instances.

Consider running two different versions of IIS on one server, for example.
Don't worry about *why*, right now, just consider what it would involve.

Old October 21st 03, 07:21 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Consider running two different versions of IIS on one server, for example.

This one yes. The registry paths are hard-coded, especially for OS optional
components (like IIS).
Nevertheless, for UI apps, this registry is per-user, and is very easy to back
up.

Old October 21st 03, 02:43 PM
Bill Todd

"Peter da Silva" wrote in message
In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
Then, when the binary (or the OS) is loaded, the prefetch file shows

what
pages to preload. All drivers share the same .PF file, so, they are
preloaded in several IO requests and not on per-file basis.

OK, it's not the same kind of thing, then. It's prefetching, not disk

layout
optimization.

Had you actually bothered to check the cited reference (Google just found it
easily by title for me), you'd have found that it's a two-stage process.
The first stage is the one Maxim described; the second runs periodically to
reorganize data on the disk to optimize the operation of the first.

- bill

Old October 21st 03, 03:47 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Bill Todd wrote:
[...] it's a two-stage process.
The first stage is the one Maxim described; the second runs periodically to
reorganize data on the disk to optimize the operation of the first.

Ah, clever. Is this something you can hook into for, oh, optimising the
placement of webpages on a webserver?

Old October 21st 03, 04:01 PM
Bill Todd

Bill Todd wrote:
[...] it's a two-stage process.
The first stage is the one Maxim described; the second runs periodically

reorganize data on the disk to optimize the operation of the first.

Ah, clever. Is this something you can hook into for, oh, optimising the
placement of webpages on a webserver?

Since the information-gathering mechanism seems to be hard-wired to boot and
application start-up, probably not. Even if you could gather the
information some other way and figure out how to present it to the
reorganization mechanism, it's not clear that said mechanism would be
sufficiently flexible to make use of it.

But if you gather the data yourself, it's entirely possible that the new
defragmentation APIs might allow you to reorganize it yourself fairly
easily.

- bill

Old October 22nd 03, 09:32 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
Consider running two different versions of IIS on one server, for example.

This one yes. The registry paths are hard-coded, especially for OS optional
components (like IIS).
Nevertheless, for UI apps, this registry is per-user, and is very easy to back
up.

You know, when I start talking about using NT without Win32, and how
Interix solves a lot of the problems, I'm kind of dropping a hint about
my priorities. I have to run multiple copies of a webserver far more
often than multiple copies of Word.

But even there, backing up and restoring registry keys as a workaround for
single-instance configuration is (a) not really practical for everyday use,
and (b) the result of the problem and an example of why it IS a problem
rather than some kind of counter to my original wistful plaint.