Laptop Hinge Problem

Old September 12th 17, 04:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Se7en[_2_]

Default Laptop Hinge Problem

I have an issue with my hinge. I have a Dell Latitude D820 and
randomly the hinge has lost its tork. The screen is loose and falls
down unless I prop it up. I opened the chassis and see that the
physical hinge looks alright but it seems that the frame of the
monitor in which the hinge goes into is warped.

At first I was able to squeeze together the chassis with no visible
difference, and this caused it to catch. This no longer works.

Any advice?

--
|-----/ | Se7en
/ The One and Only! | l
Old September 12th 17, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 9/11/2017 8:39 PM, Se7en wrote:
I have an issue with my hinge. I have a Dell Latitude D820 and
randomly the hinge has lost its tork. The screen is loose and falls
down unless I prop it up. I opened the chassis and see that the
physical hinge looks alright but it seems that the frame of the
monitor in which the hinge goes into is warped.

At first I was able to squeeze together the chassis with no visible
difference, and this caused it to catch. This no longer works.

Any advice?

I have an HP DV7, the plastic that supported the bottom of the hinge
broke away, it was part of a raised area of the bottom case IIRC. I
drilled a hole through the broken area and completely through the bottom
case, and put in a small bolt, using washers to adjust the spacing
between the bottom of the hinge and the bottom case. The bolt went down
through the hinge hole, the spacing washers, through the bottom case, to
the nut outside of the bottom case. The nut clears my desk because
it's shorter than the rubber feet. And if you put a bit of torque on it
it will sink into the plastic a little bit, which will lower its profile
and maybe prevent it from turning. I haven't had any problems with it
with about 2 years of use on it now. It's a bit drastic but a lot
cheaper than a bottom case.

Old September 12th 17, 10:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Se7en wrote:
I have an issue with my hinge. I have a Dell Latitude D820 and
randomly the hinge has lost its tork. The screen is loose and falls
down unless I prop it up. I opened the chassis and see that the
physical hinge looks alright but it seems that the frame of the
monitor in which the hinge goes into is warped.

At first I was able to squeeze together the chassis with no visible
difference, and this caused it to catch. This no longer works.

Any advice?

There's a cover plus hinges listed here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DELL-Y...#ht_263wt_1158

Your symptoms seem to be common for that model number.

Paul
Old September 12th 17, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rodney Pont[_6_]

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 05:10:37 -0400, Paul wrote:

Se7en wrote:
I have an issue with my hinge. I have a Dell Latitude D820 and
randomly the hinge has lost its tork. The screen is loose and falls
down unless I prop it up. I opened the chassis and see that the
physical hinge looks alright but it seems that the frame of the
monitor in which the hinge goes into is warped.

At first I was able to squeeze together the chassis with no visible
difference, and this caused it to catch. This no longer works.

Any advice?

There's a cover plus hinges listed here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-DELL-Y...#ht_263wt_1158

Your symptoms seem to be common for that model number.

There is a set of hinges he

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401326333160

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

laptop hinge loose Ed[_9_] Dell Computers 5 March 23rd 12 02:56 PM
Dell Laptop D600 Hinge Screws Source? Arnie Goetchius Dell Computers 2 February 7th 10 02:36 AM
acer laptop hinge crazyal General 6 November 27th 07 02:00 PM
Laptop Screen Hinge Too Loose Ethan Dell Computers 6 August 13th 04 09:48 PM
No hinge problem Jofre Dell Computers 0 May 7th 04 02:37 PM