bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

Old April 17th 07, 07:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Bill Todd

Default bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
I don't think there ever were such drives. There were some that had the
traditional 4 pin molex connector

Is the usual disk/CD power connector 4pin or 5? Sorry, do not have this at
sightseeing distance, only remember that it has +-5V and +-12V (and maybe
ground too?)

4 pins: +5v, +12v, ground, plus the 4th pin which is also sometimes
ground (but may sometimes be unconnected, I think - at least one of my
USB external power connectors is IIRC)

- bill
Old April 18th 07, 06:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
willbill

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

"willbill" wrote in message

bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
Buy the ons intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power plug.

i agree and have purchased WD SATA drives
for that very reason

my Seagate Barracuda SATA drives only have
the SATA power connector.

but it goes beyond just the damn lousy
power connector, it also applies to the
bloody SATA data cable/connector

bill
Old April 18th 07, 03:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
I don't think there ever were such drives. There were some that had the
traditional 4 pin molex connector

Is the usual disk/CD power connector 4pin or 5? Sorry, do not have this at
sightseeing distance, only remember that it has +-5V and +-12V (and maybe
ground too?)

+5-GND-GND-+12, i.e. 4 pins. SATA requires also 3.3V, but most drives do
not actually need it at the moment.

Arno

Old April 18th 07, 06:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
I don't think there ever were such drives. There were some that had the
traditional 4 pin molex connector

Is the usual disk/CD power connector 4pin or 5? Sorry, do not have this at
sightseeing distance, only remember that it has +-5V and +-12V (and maybe
ground too?)

+5-GND-GND-+12, i.e. 4 pins.

SATA requires also 3.3V,

Bull****, as always from the babblebot.
There is no such requirement.

but most drives do not actually need it at the moment.

Because it's usually generated from the 5V internally.
Drives that don't use 5V will obviously have a problem if it is used with a
PS that doesn't supply 3.3 V at the Sata Power connector or are used with
a SATA to Molex converter cable.

Arno

Old April 18th 07, 06:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"willbill" wrote in message
Folkert Rienstra wrote:

"willbill" wrote in message

bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
Buy the ones intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power plug.

i agree and have purchased WD SATA drives for that very reason

my Seagate Barracuda SATA drives only have the SATA power
connector.

but it goes beyond just the damn lousy power connector, it also applies
to the bloody SATA data cable/connector

It shouldn't be a problem if you harness that data cable properly.
Cables should never run loose in any case.

bill

Old April 18th 07, 06:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:

That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
Buy the ones intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power plug.

Have you ever seen the SATA drive with old-ATA-style 5pin large power
connector?

If yes - can you name the models? I have only seens the SATA drives with new
style power connector, looking like the SATA data one but wider.

I don't think there ever were such drives. There were some that had the
traditional 4 pin molex connector in addition to the SATA power connector.
Some early Seagete models I think.

Arno

"Ian D" wrote in message

The new Western Digital SATA2 KS series of drives have
both SATA and standard 4 pin Molex connectors.

Babblebot proven cluesless once again, as always.
Old April 20th 07, 04:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Nik Simpson

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
willbill wrote:
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power.

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
the SATA connectors on the disk.

How strange when below you just say they work utterly fine when used as intended.

I've given up, and when I build a PC I install a drive housing that occupies
3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot plug SATA bugs. Because of the way
this is designed I've not had a single problem with power or drive connectors
since doing this.

Gee, what a surprise: you are using them as intended.

So you're saying, that all the PC solutions out there where the
power/data connectors go directly into the drive as opposed to a
backplane are not using SATA drives the way they are intended. If that's
the case, then perhaps you could provide a cite for this claim, since
pretty much every commercially available PC with SATA drives are
configured with direct connections from the motherboard to the drives
with no intervening backplane.
--
Nik Simpson
Old April 21st 07, 07:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
don't look[_2_]

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
Buy the ons intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power

plug.

Have you ever seen the SATA drive with old-ATA-style 5pin large power
connector?

If yes - can you name the models? I have only seens the SATA drives with

new
style power connector, looking like the SATA data one but wider.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

My 160GB WD 1600js SATA II drive has both molex(4-pin) and sata power.Not
sure what you mean about old style 5-pin?

Old April 23rd 07, 04:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

willbill wrote:
[...]

I did?
I said that *you* were using the drives that *you* bought
(with backplane type power connectors) as 'intended'.
I said nothing about *all* Sata drives.
In the other post I specifically said to use drives with regular
molex power connector if you are not using them in servers or
other systems that use backplane type connectors or cages.

If that's the case,

So obviously not.

then perhaps you could provide a cite for this claim,
since pretty much every commercially available PC with
SATA drives are configured with direct connections

from the motherboard to the drives with no intervening backplane.

Please try and work on your read apprehension.
Old April 23rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Nik Simpson

willbill wrote:
[...]

First, if you want get all superior, you might want to look up
"apprehension" and "comprehension" in a dictionary!

Second you seem to be claiming that the PC systems from vendors like
DELL etc all use the 4-pin power connector (since they don't come with
SATA backplanes), and if they don't then they are not using drives the
way they are intended! I must say that hasn't been my experience. Also,
I've bought a whole lot of SATA drives in the last few years and I've
yet to see any indication on the box as to which type of power connector
I'm getting. Surely if the SATA drive vendors intended this distinction
they would make it clear on the packaging, which they don't.

Personally I think you are pulling this out of somewhere south of your
navel, and that drives with 4-pin power connectors are there for people
who have PSUs that don't have SATA-style power connectors. By the way if
you are right about this, care to explain why modern PC power suppliers
have SATA style power connectors?

--
Nik Simpson

Are all SATA connectors cr*p? T i m Homebuilt PC's 6 April 10th 07 09:19 AM
SATA Connectors Rod Speed Storage (alternative) 5 February 8th 05 02:57 PM
SATA connectors Son4ta Homebuilt PC's 9 September 22nd 04 02:21 AM
SATA and IDE connectors ARP Storage (alternative) 0 September 11th 03 10:32 AM
SATA Connectors Jim Mc Storage (alternative) 2 September 11th 03 10:19 AM