bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

Old April 15th 07, 09:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

Default bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

willbill wrote:
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues
with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power,
most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
the SATA connectors on the disk. I've given up, and when I build a PC I
install a drive housing that occupies 3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot
plug SATA bugs. Because of the way this is designed I've not had a
single problem with power or drive connectors since doing this. The one
I use is:

http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.

I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.

Arno

I've got one that's been going about a year now, the other is more
recent. So far I've not had any problems with them. But there are other
products out there, maybe there are some better ones.

Maybe the just fixed that production quality issue.

Arno
Old April 16th 07, 12:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Alexander Skwar

Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

willbill wrote:

bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues
with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power,
most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

No, since I use SCSI with SCA connectors these problems are nonexistent.
You get what you pay for. SATA drives are basically toys equivalent to
what comes out of a gumball machine.

I recently read a report from Google, and it basically comes down to, that
SATA drives aren't necessarily worse than SCSI or FC drives. Here's
the link:

http://storagemojo.com/?p=383
http://www.usenix.org/events/fast07/...tml/index.html
http://216.239.37.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf

--
Alexander Skwar
Old April 16th 07, 03:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"willbill" wrote in message
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
Buy the ons intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power plug.

bill

Old April 16th 07, 03:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
willbill wrote:
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power.

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
the SATA connectors on the disk.

How strange when below you just say they work utterly fine when used as intended.

I've given up, and when I build a PC I install a drive housing that occupies
3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot plug SATA bugs. Because of the way
this is designed I've not had a single problem with power or drive connectors
since doing this.

Gee, what a surprise: you are using them as intended.

Old April 16th 07, 03:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

willbill wrote:
[...]

Or maybe it just never existed.

Arno

Old April 16th 07, 06:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Steve Cousins

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:

http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.

I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.

If you really must use SATA you ought to try Supermicro chasis and
backplanes as they are the best on the market.

www.supermicro.com

Sadly, even these have problems occasionally. I have a few of the
Supermicro 5 drive units and I had to send back one of them. We did
have one SCA connector fail a few years ago too. As for SATA vs. SCSI,
of course there are instances when SCSI is the only way to go (15K
drives for instance) but more often than not it is too limiting to go
with SCSI. We couldn't do a lot of what we do if we had to pay SCSI
prices. SATA has proven to be very reliable (except for one array that
used Maxtor drives... that was a nightmare but no data was lost and it
had nothing to do with SATA, just Maxtor). With about 90 SATA drives in
operation over the last year, we have had zero downtime due to the RAID
arrays and only one array that needed to failover to a spare drive.
With about 20 SCSI drives we had two drives that failed in the last
year. To be fair, the SCSI drives are much older than the SATA drives.

Old April 17th 07, 11:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih

That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
Buy the ons intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power plug.

Have you ever seen the SATA drive with old-ATA-style 5pin large power
connector?

If yes - can you name the models? I have only seens the SATA drives with new
style power connector, looking like the SATA data one but wider.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old April 17th 07, 12:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
Buy the ons intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power plug.

Have you ever seen the SATA drive with old-ATA-style 5pin large power
connector?

If yes - can you name the models? I have only seens the SATA drives with new
style power connector, looking like the SATA data one but wider.

I don't think there ever were such drives. There were some that had the
traditional 4 pin molex connector in addition to the SATA power connector.
Some early Seagete models I think.

Arno
Old April 17th 07, 02:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Ian D

The new Western Digital SATA2 KS series of drives have
both SATA and standard 4 pin Molex connectors.

Old April 17th 07, 04:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih

I don't think there ever were such drives. There were some that had the
traditional 4 pin molex connector

Is the usual disk/CD power connector 4pin or 5? Sorry, do not have this at
sightseeing distance, only remember that it has +-5V and +-12V (and maybe
ground too?)

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Are all SATA connectors cr*p? T i m Homebuilt PC's 6 April 10th 07 09:19 AM
SATA Connectors Rod Speed Storage (alternative) 5 February 8th 05 02:57 PM
SATA connectors Son4ta Homebuilt PC's 9 September 22nd 04 02:21 AM
SATA and IDE connectors ARP Storage (alternative) 0 September 11th 03 10:32 AM
SATA Connectors Jim Mc Storage (alternative) 2 September 11th 03 10:19 AM