Agami

Old April 22nd 08, 02:19 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Michael Kramer

Default Agami

I'm looking at replacing a slew of legacy Netapp filers (F760, F880, etc)
and am considering Agami among others. NAS virtualization is not an option
as most of the filers are in pocket networks.

Anyone have experience with Agami or similar?

Old April 22nd 08, 04:11 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Michael Kramer wrote:
I'm looking at replacing a slew of legacy Netapp filers (F760, F880, etc)
and am considering Agami among others. NAS virtualization is not an option
as most of the filers are in pocket networks.

Anyone have experience with Agami or similar?

I've never heard of the company or seen their stuff.

Is your data important?
Old April 23rd 08, 02:32 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:11:23 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Michael Kramer wrote:
I'm looking at replacing a slew of legacy Netapp filers (F760, F880, etc)
and am considering Agami among others. NAS virtualization is not an option
as most of the filers are in pocket networks.

Anyone have experience with Agami or similar?

I've never heard of the company or seen their stuff.

Is your data important?

www.agami.com

I've not had any experience but the specs and whitepapers on the
product are interesting. My biggest concern is always the file system
itself, nothing else. That is the data lifeline so it needs to be
rock-solid.

I think it's worth an evaluation but I'd put it through the paces on
data integrity. agamiFS has no real history comparitively.
I'd consider putting it into production for non-critical data and make
certain backups are 1) finishing without error and 2) test those
backups regularly with random restores.

It's alot of effort up front but, in my case, data integrity is
paramount.

~F
Old April 23rd 08, 05:26 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

Michael Kramer wrote:
I'm looking at replacing a slew of legacy Netapp filers (F760, F880, etc)
and am considering Agami among others. NAS virtualization is not an option
as most of the filers are in pocket networks.

Anyone have experience with Agami or similar?

I've never heard of the company or seen their stuff.

Is your data important?

www.agami.com

I've not had any experience but the specs and whitepapers on the
product are interesting. My biggest concern is always the file system
itself, nothing else. That is the data lifeline so it needs to be
rock-solid.

I just looked at this spec sheet

http://www.agami.com/client_files/ag...t_6136_web.pdf

so apparently they're selling a box of sata drives as something
enterprise.

Also, at 33" deep, it's going fit in even less racks than a 12/24 slot LTO
library.

I won't even guess where the support call center is.

I'd pass on this product real fast.

Old April 24th 08, 08:58 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

wrote:

Michael Kramer wrote:
[...]

Panasas and Isilon are both considered enterprise class storage and
both use SATA. There's nothing wrong with SATA if you understand the
limitations and do not expect it to perform outside of them.

agami is multi-protocol, very dense, high throughput, has some
apparently nice features like replication and snapshots, etc. I would
assume it's less expensive too. If it's not less expensive then I do
not see a win here; others have been around longer with more history
so why go with a newcomer that is the same price and without any real
benefit advantage?
But I assume it's less expensive anyway.

If it's something that fits your requirements and floats your boat for
whatever reason it's worth an eval.

~F
Old April 25th 08, 04:51 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

Michael Kramer wrote:
[...]

by who, pansasa and isilon?

both use SATA. There's nothing wrong with SATA if you understand the
limitations and do not expect it to perform outside of them.

"enterprise" stuff should not have limitiations like flakey drives, or the
only selling point is it costs "less" than something else.

What would one call a storage system made with first rate drives, like SAS
or FC? Enterprise Plus, Enhanced Enterprise, Synergy System XP5000
Extended?

SATA is second rate storage, and may be suitable for massive amounts of
stuff you want to access without fetching a tape. That's really about it.

It might be ok in a workstation as well. I finally trust it enough to use
in my workstation, although with a RAID controller.

agami is multi-protocol, very dense, high throughput, has some
apparently nice features like replication and snapshots, etc. I would

Do any of these features work? I can't find a single story of anybody
using anything from agami.

Old April 30th 08, 12:03 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:51:24 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Panasas and Isilon are both considered enterprise class storage and

by who, pansasa and isilon?

www.panasas.com
www.isilon.com

Used heavily in media, oil & gas, movie studio, and chip design.

both use SATA. There's nothing wrong with SATA if you understand the
limitations and do not expect it to perform outside of them.

"enterprise" stuff should not have limitiations like flakey drives, or the
only selling point is it costs "less" than something else.

What would one call a storage system made with first rate drives, like SAS
or FC? Enterprise Plus, Enhanced Enterprise, Synergy System XP5000
Extended?

Enterprise class storage is self-defined unless you want the vendor to
define it for you. For instance, enterprise class might be anything
where the *data* is protected by N mechanisms, regardless of the
underlying drives. If I can tell a system to triple mirror certain
directories, mirror others, and raid 5 the rest across N storage
bricks, that to me is pretty enterprise. I might not care what the
physical drives are since the *system* is extremely protective.

Read up on the spec's for the above mentioned vendors for some
additional info.

SATA is second rate storage, and may be suitable for massive amounts of
stuff you want to access without fetching a tape. That's really about it.

It might be ok in a workstation as well. I finally trust it enough to use
in my workstation, although with a RAID controller.

I think you're confusing "storage" with "drive". They are no longer
synonymous and have not been for about a decade.

agami is multi-protocol, very dense, high throughput, has some
apparently nice features like replication and snapshots, etc. I would

Do any of these features work? I can't find a single story of anybody
using anything from agami.

I have no idea. That's the point of an eval, to determine what works,
what doesn't, and what you care about. The OP asked about the system,
no one really knows, so I told him to eval it if the spec's fit his
requirements.

~F
Old May 6th 08, 06:37 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Faeandar wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:51:24 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Panasas and Isilon are both considered enterprise class storage and

by who, pansasa and isilon?

www.panasas.com

I took a quick look here- all that was impressive was the level of
bull**** talk. Here are my favorites:

Leveraging Object-Based Architecture
Scalable Storage for Linux Clusters - Market Evolution
Customer-centric support including a personalized customer extranet site
Low Total Cost of Ownership: Easy to use appliance-like management of a
virtually boundless system

www.isilon.com

This site actually uses real technical terms, and lists specs on their
product spec sheets vs. the other place with nothing but marketing
bull****.

Old May 7th 08, 07:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Tue, 6 May 2008 05:37:27 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Faeandar wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:51:24 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Panasas and Isilon are both considered enterprise class storage and

by who, pansasa and isilon?

www.panasas.com

I took a quick look here- all that was impressive was the level of
bull**** talk. Here are my favorites:

Leveraging Object-Based Architecture
Scalable Storage for Linux Clusters - Market Evolution
Customer-centric support including a personalized customer extranet site
Low Total Cost of Ownership: Easy to use appliance-like management of a
virtually boundless system

www.isilon.com

This site actually uses real technical terms, and lists specs on their
product spec sheets vs. the other place with nothing but marketing
bull****.

I don't think you were reading hard enough then. Panasas is one of
only two storage architectures to you use object based storage which,
by many accounts, is the next generation of storage (Lustre is the
other).
Panasas is one of only two vendors to have a client that acts as a
pNFS client allowing direct access to the node that houses the data
rather than through cluster interconnects (Ibrix is the other). In
fact, the pNFS code that is being used as the standard in NFSv4.1 was
provided in large part by Panasas.

Isilon has a good story for a specific workload, large file and
sequential access, but they suck on small file or random IO.
Panasas's architecture has alot going for it. I'm not interested in
elaborating beyond what I've already done but to say they are
unimpressive is to be short-sighted.

~F
Old May 8th 08, 04:46 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

Faeandar wrote:
[...]

I really didn't dig for more than about 10 minutes per site. The panasas
stuff stuck me as complete marketing nonsense. Maybe there's something
real behind it all, but they really don't tout anything tangible.

They are companies selling stuff. If they do a poor job of that, they
will fail, good technology or not.

It would actually be nice to see some other players in the storage market,
as long as they can make a real product and support it correctly, without
customer centric syngery portals.