Industry titles

Old April 29th 08, 11:55 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

Default Industry titles

Does anyone know of a list of industry standard titles for storage
related positions?

Thanks.

~F
Old May 6th 08, 03:15 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Faeandar wrote:
Does anyone know of a list of industry standard titles for storage
related positions?

Thanks.

~F

I've seen SAN Administrator.
Old May 6th 08, 06:58 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Nicholas Buckley

Titles are many, varied and usually fail to describe adequately the wide
range of roles and responsibilities covered by those engaged in storage
management.

Storage Manager floats most peoples' boats, but if we're talking Oracle
DBAs, then I insist that they address me with the necessary reverence:

Sire, My Liege, O Great One etc ;-)

Cheers,

Nick,
UK

Old May 6th 08, 07:35 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 29, 5:55 pm, Faeandar wrote:
Does anyone know of a list of industry standard titles for storage
related positions?

God works. :-)

Titles are for the weak. I've seen engineers, architects, and
managers when the person isn't an engineer, an architect, nor a
manager. I've seen administrator used. There really isn't a
standard. My business card simply says "Information Technology".

All that really counts is can the person do the work, and are you
paying that person fairly? If the answer to both of those is yes,
then it doesn't really matter what you call him/her.

.../Ed
RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP

Old May 7th 08, 08:01 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:55:25 -0700, Faeandar
wrote:

Does anyone know of a list of industry standard titles for storage
related positions?

Thanks.

~F

What I'm interested in is an accepted title list that is used by HR
types. In most industries there is a list of titles that fit a
particular type of work, but IT seems to be pretty haphazard and
storage even more so.

For instance, Information Architect has a very targetted description
(iainstitute.org). If I just looked at the title it might seem
appropriate, but then looking at the site I find it's not.

So rather than hunting all over creation to track down individual
descriptions like that I was hoping for an HR-like list.

Maybe there isn't one yet....

~F