K8V and Cool 'n' quiet question

Old August 13th 04, 10:26 PM
Driekes

Default K8V and Cool 'n' quiet question

Hello,

I'm running an Athlon 64 3000+ in combination with the K8V board (great
combination!!). I have enabled the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in the bios and
configured Windows XP prof. so that it works fine. Now i'm also enabled
Q-fan in the bios. Now I'm experience this:

In AsusProbe I see that the cpu temp is somewhere between 43c and 51c. Just
after starting the computer I see that the cpu fan go's from 3300rpm to 0
rpm after a few minutes. When the temp is going higher than 51 degree the
fan is starting again and stops when the cpu temp is 43 - 42 degree again.

That is just perfect for me but is it no problem for the cpu? Because when I
disable Q-fan in the bios the cpu fan goes to low rpms but never stops.

Thanks!

Driekes

Old August 13th 04, 11:17 PM
Paul

In article , "Driekes"
wrote:

Hello,

I'm running an Athlon 64 3000+ in combination with the K8V board (great
combination!!). I have enabled the Cool 'n' Quiet feature in the bios and
configured Windows XP prof. so that it works fine. Now i'm also enabled
Q-fan in the bios. Now I'm experience this:

In AsusProbe I see that the cpu temp is somewhere between 43c and 51c. Just
after starting the computer I see that the cpu fan go's from 3300rpm to 0
rpm after a few minutes. When the temp is going higher than 51 degree the
fan is starting again and stops when the cpu temp is 43 - 42 degree again.

That is just perfect for me but is it no problem for the cpu? Because when I
disable Q-fan in the bios the cpu fan goes to low rpms but never stops.

Thanks!

Driekes

Thermo-regulating to 50C should be no problem for the processor.
Processor reliability drops with increased temperature, but you'll
upgrade this system well before the processor dies of old age. The
components in a laptop probably see worse temperatures than that.

In one way, enabling Q-Fan may be better for the processor socket
itself. Solder joint reliability is improved by reducing the size
of the daily temperature variation.

About the only question I don't have an answer for, is whether
the starting and stopping of the CPU fan is good for it.

Paul
Old August 13th 04, 11:25 PM
Driekes

I will try that, I also think it is better to keep some air flow over the
heatsink. But now the system is real quiet (only the XFX6800LE videocard is
making some noise)

Driekes

"Ed" schreef in bericht
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:26:47 +0200, "Driekes"
wrote:

[...]

I don't think Q-Fan is supposed to be enabled when CnQ enabled, you have
to have some air flow over the heatsink, unless maybe you have 5+ case
fans!

If your using the AMD stock fan there's no need for Q-fan as the fan has
it's own built in speed control. From what I read its specs are 3000 to
6000 rpm.

Ed
--
A64 3200+ (2.2/512K) with stock fan.
No CnQ , No Q-fan (chaintech mobo)

Old August 14th 04, 01:42 AM
GF

Below a given RPM not all BIOS or software probes can read
it. It wil then appear as « 0 ».
Check if the fan is running by opening the case.

Of course it may be different with your motherboard.
Mine is Asus but AMD7

Old August 14th 04, 12:33 PM
Driekes

I checked the system with Q-Fan and Cool 'n' Quiet enabled and the (stock)
cpu-fan really stops turning. With both this feature enabled the cpu runs
somewhere between 43 and 52 degree. Now with Q-fan disabled the fan runs
3200rmp (not loud at all!) and temp is idle 32 degree and stressed some 39 -
42 degree! That is something else then the Prescott.

I have to say that normally I am an Intel fan, I had several big problems
with the Athlon and Athlon XP processors, like complete smoked out
mainboards but.....that was BEFORE I used Asus mainboards. We used MSI
before and that was a real pain in ....... These days I almost see every day
a P3 board (like the MS6309, or for AMD the K7T pro) with blowed up
capacitors. I asked MSI for several time to do something about it. Do you
know what they ask:

Sir, we never had any problem with it, can you please send a picture of the
broken motherboard, yeah right.

And I'm not happy with the Prescott cpu's. To hot and therefor much to loud!

But thats offtopic.. Does anyone has any answer to my question about the
chassis fan connector?

Driekes
"GF" schreef in bericht
. ..