Western Digital error code

Old June 8th 13, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_2_]

Default Western Digital error code

I recently replaced an older WD drive . All went well and there are no
problems..but I am trying to analyze what went wrong with the old drive.

The machine had been occasionally locking up and the WD quick test
failed with error code 0003

I could find no listing of that code on WD's site

I did find a 103 code that said "write fault error"

Interestingly, the drive passed the long test.
Possibly the long test just checked the disk's surface.

Old June 8th 13, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

philo wrote:
I recently replaced an older WD drive . All went well and there are no
problems..but I am trying to analyze what went wrong with the old drive.

The machine had been occasionally locking up and the WD quick test
failed with error code 0003

I could find no listing of that code on WD's site

I did find a 103 code that said "write fault error"

Interestingly, the drive passed the long test.
Possibly the long test just checked the disk's surface.

http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/gene...es.asp?print=y

0001 - 0008, 0015 SMART Error

Notice how really really specific that is :-)
It means some testing the drive did internally, may
account for the error. You can command the drive to run
a SMART test, via the IDE interface. Testing does not
have to be initiated solely with read/write ops from the
outside. The drive can actually do stuff on its own, then
pop back an error code.

HTH,
Paul
Old June 8th 13, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_2_]

On 06/08/2013 02:49 PM, Paul wrote:

0001 - 0008, 0015 SMART Error

Notice how really really specific that is :-)
It means some testing the drive did internally, may
account for the error. You can command the drive to run
a SMART test, via the IDE interface. Testing does not
have to be initiated solely with read/write ops from the
outside. The drive can actually do stuff on its own, then
pop back an error code.

HTH,
Paul

Thanks Paul, I missed that.

I guess I did not scroll down far enough.

Anyway the drive was not reliable and now it's been replaced.

It was only an 80 gig drive and I replaced it with a new 160 gig I that
had been sitting around for several years.

OT Western Digital WD TV Metspitzer Homebuilt PC's 9 March 5th 10 04:27 AM
OT Western Digital WD TV [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 March 2nd 10 01:43 AM
Western Digital didnt_say Storage (alternative) 2 July 6th 04 11:40 AM
western digital Nitro® Homebuilt PC's 4 May 25th 04 04:49 PM
Drive Image 2002: Error #91 Western Digital Hard Drive Dr. J Storage (alternative) 14 May 11th 04 07:03 AM