Inspiron 7K keyboard weirdness

Old October 6th 04, 04:19 AM
Louie

Default Inspiron 7K keyboard weirdness

Hi all,

I just received and installed a new Inspiron 7k keyboard and it's acting
weird. When I type a h it comes out hu or sometimes huhu. Similar results
with most keys on right side of keyboard. Left side seems to be working all
right. When I press the left arrow and/or up key I get a beep, not so with
right or down key. I've checked and made sure the num lock and scroll lock
aren't on and even went thru the Dell forums with no luck for this problem.
Rechecked connections. Backed off keyboard screws thinking I could have had
a short. Could be time for a new mobo? Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks for your time.
--
Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W

---

Old October 6th 04, 05:20 AM
Christopher Muto

if it is a new spare part from dell then it has a 90 day warranty and 30 day
money back... ask for a replacement. if the replacement also demonstrates
problems then it is likely the connector on the motherboard itself. you can
not really over tighten the screws on the bottom... but if you leave them
loose then they will work themselves free and go missing over time. i
wonder what made you replace the keyboard in the first place... similar
erratic behavior or just a cosmetic concern? if it was for cosmetic reasons
then put back the old board to confirm that it is not the system.

t...

Old October 6th 04, 05:50 AM
Louie

Hi Chris. The replacement was from parts-people.com. Replaced because I
was getting a keyboard error on boot-up with the original. Have tried an
external keyboard with no problems (both before and after replacement).
Even checked the numbers on the back to be sure they were the same. FWIW:

Model:V611
Domestic
Made In China
Bar Code
14982-8CC-1143
DP/N 0006833C Rev.A02

I'll see about getting a replacement (has 30 day warranty). Thanks. g
--

"Louie" wrote in message
[...]

snip

---

Old October 7th 04, 03:37 PM
Louie

Hi all.
I've solved my problem! g Took keyboard out and booted machine with Dell
Diag disk. Did keyboard test. First test has you press keys in a specific
order. All checked out OK. Second test allowed you to press keys in any
order. Found out that when I pressed the "Escape" key, the "Q" key was also
pressed. Same for "H" when I got "HU" and so on. What I did next (which I
highly *don't* recommend) was with machine on, in keyboard diag mode,
keyboard out but ribbon cable inserted, was to *very, very gently* wiggle
the ribbon cable to the right. Voila'! Fixed my problem! Loose connection
is all it was. bg Laptop is working great! Again, and I emphasize, I
*do not* recommend doing this with power on, keyboard out. I just got lucky
that I didn't get a short, but it was my last resort. Thanks for the
replies! g
--
Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA 29.30N 82.52W
(eat the flies to email)

.. .

Old October 8th 04, 02:17 AM
Christopher Muto

well done. you may just have a dirty connector on the motherboard side.
you could try some electronic cleaner from radio shack to clear it out
(while unplugged and without battery installed). or just keep this in mind
should it act up again.

"Louie" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old October 8th 04, 12:11 PM
Louie

Will do, Chris. The keyboard *had* been out for a while before I could
obtain a new one. I remember at the time spraying cleaner in the connector
then. I should have done it again before installing the new one. sigh
Lesson learned! g