Partion HD before or after installing W2k

Old December 17th 04, 02:16 PM

Default Partion HD before or after installing W2k

Hi All

As you can read in the head of the message, I'm struggling with this
question.
After my first attempt to build a computer with an Asus A7N8X-e as MoBo
every thing went fine.
Now I want to install OS(W2k) and was wandering what is the best way to do
it.
Before or after to part the HD in partions, and how.?
I have done this earlier with PartionMagic,but a know there is a way with
"fdisk" (never done that).
Can anyone give me a clear answere.
gr françois

Old December 17th 04, 03:03 PM
who

Does it matter? If you partition with fdisk, then W2K will prompt you to
reformat the primary partition anyway.

Regards,

Michael

Old December 17th 04, 03:10 PM
rhys

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:16:33 +0100, wrote:

Hi All

As you can read in the head of the message, I'm struggling with this
question.
After my first attempt to build a computer with an Asus A7N8X-e as MoBo
every thing went fine.
Now I want to install OS(W2k) and was wandering what is the best way to do
it.
Before or after to part the HD in partions, and how.?
I have done this earlier with PartionMagic,but a know there is a way with
"fdisk" (never done that).
Can anyone give me a clear answere.
gr françois

I have done this a few times as I am a big fan of making a clean and
small OS partition, a "programs" partition and a "data" partition.
This makes maintenance, performance and particularly backup better and
easier.

If you are starting with an absolutely clean hard drive of perhaps 80
gigs, I would use FDISK as follows:

1) Create three or more partitions. Format each with NTFS. Make the
first partition (1) your C: drive and call it ROOT or WIN2K or
something like that. Assign it a size of 10 to 20 gigs. Keep in mind
that very few programs MUST be on the same logical drive as the OS,
and if you are smart, you won't load thousands of fonts onto C:.

Your usage and level of expertise will determine whether or not you
wish to have a swapfile/paging file on C: or elsewhere, and what size
to make it. Big is better.

2) Make your second logical partition D:PROGRAMS. Make it 25 gigs or
so, depending on your situation. Load all mail, browser, newsreader
and antiviral programs on here first. Then, if you have it, load
Partition Magic into a UTILITIES folder. Run Partition Magic to make
all further partitions you wish to create and assign, because PM is
much more pleasant to use and arguably more flexible.

Hope this helps. I still think Windows 2000 is the best choice for the
hobbyist, although XP is arguably better for gaming and so on.

R.
Old December 17th 04, 03:25 PM
John Doe

As you can read in the head of the message, I'm struggling with
this question.
After my first attempt to build a computer with an Asus A7N8X-e as
MoBo every thing went fine.
Now I want to install OS(W2k) and was wandering what is the best
way to do it.
Before or after to part the HD in partions, and how.?
I have done this earlier with PartionMagic,but a know there is a
way with "fdisk" (never done that).
Can anyone give me a clear answere.

In my opinion, a disk manager such as PartitionMagic is the only way to
go. Whether before or after doesn't matter if you have a disk manager.
My experience with Windows XP suggests that certain operations are
overly complex, I don't know whether it is that way with Windows 2000.
Old December 17th 04, 04:18 PM
philo

wrote in message
Hi All

As you can read in the head of the message, I'm struggling with this
question.
After my first attempt to build a computer with an Asus A7N8X-e as MoBo
every thing went fine.
Now I want to install OS(W2k) and was wandering what is the best way to do
it.
Before or after to part the HD in partions, and how.?
I have done this earlier with PartionMagic,but a know there is a way with
"fdisk" (never done that).
Can anyone give me a clear answere.
gr françois

just boot from your win2k
you may partition and format the drive however you wish
from within the context of the installation...
there is no need to use a 3rp party utility

Old December 17th 04, 05:16 PM
Frank

"rhys" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:16:33 +0100, wrote:

I have done this a few times as I am a big fan of making a clean and
small OS partition, a "programs" partition and a "data" partition.
This makes maintenance, performance and particularly backup better and
easier.

This is a myth. If you reinstall an OS you have to reinstall the software
anyway. I stopped this about 4 years ago. There is just no use.....

Old December 17th 04, 05:22 PM
JAD

no one ever uses images? its not a myth...just not within the grasp
of some people

Those who know that their data is important BEFORE a harddrive failure
or OS corruption, know that this is the great way to protect your
stuff.

"Frank" wrote in message
m...

Old December 17th 04, 05:34 PM
John Doe

"Frank" wrote:
"rhys" wrote
wrote:

I have done this a few times as I am a big fan of making a clean
and small OS partition, a "programs" partition and a "data"
partition. This makes maintenance, performance and particularly
backup better and easier.

This is a myth. If you reinstall an OS you have to reinstall the
software anyway. I stopped this about 4 years ago. There is just
no use.....

Some of us make a copy of the Windows partition. So the
reinstallation is just deleting the current corrupt installation and
copying the clean copy back into place. That copy has all of the
installation information which points to HDD partition D
applications. Complications can arise, but usually it went OK for me.

I too have stopped doing so. Doing a pristine configuration
installation is most important and that is before installing big
applications except any I really need. And I have enough disk space
to make backup copies of that.

I do very much enjoy having a separate partition for downloaded files
and for personal files, currently two partitions for that.

snip
Old December 17th 04, 05:38 PM
John Doe

They are talking about partitions on the same hard disk drive, JAD,
that's not something to protect against hard disk drive failure.

From: "JAD"
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Partion HD before or after installing W2k

Old December 17th 04, 07:54 PM
JAD

They are talking about partitions on the same hard disk drive, JAD,
that's not something to protect against hard disk drive failure.

1 drive C/ D/ E/ C=OS D=software E=data

right, that would be a instance of protection from OS corruption.
not having to format over/image over new data. Point was 'its not a
myth'. and the worst thing about it was never said. if you do add
another drive, all hell breaks loose as the drive assignments change.
Third party solutions are needed, that can lead to bigger problems.

2 x 120gs over 1 x 250g any day------ ;^)

"John Doe" wrote in message

"JAD" wrote:

newssvr30.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy. com!newsdst01.news.p
rodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com !border1.nntp.dca.gi
ganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!peer01.cox.net!cox.ne t!hwmnpeer01.lga!hwm
edia!hw-poster!fe06.lga.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
From: "JAD"
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

dkoicekneficefklkpkldedpclkjkjhglabbkchjldggmbogfc ccdnnagloelenednoddj
beenpgpnpodkpbaaolmgemmkjnpcfeeoillpmagcjmpkncglji nfbmihenegcmjhhibopf
akdb