Intel's "9th gen" CPUs

Old September 15th 18, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Intel's "9th gen" CPUs

Interesting series of leaks and rumours. So they will still be 14 nm, in
effect a Coffee Lake facelift, but with more cores for little more dollars
than previous generation. So they are still worried about AMD.
One of the interesting tidbits was solder thermal interface; perhaps
that is how they will get a 5 GHz turbo speed (but for how many cores
and how long)
Old September 15th 18, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:53:20 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

Please note that most users are happy with dual-core CPUs! Not everyone
needs that much performance.... and that's exactly why those CPUs would
become more and more expensive!

Intel: If you have to ask how much then you probably shouldn't.
Effectively, seriously, I've never owned Intel for all of computing.

I now have eight cores in a CPU from AMD. I bought the AMD octal
retail boxed and new. It is now like, both that either1) I have
sixteen cores (quads are still up and running), or, 2) I can have all
eight cores on a single chip.

AMD FX-8320E Vishera 8-Core 3.2GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket

If you ask me what I paid for the 8320E, that would be much less, by a
lot, than the Ryzen platform. How much do you think one core, of the
Vishnu's eight cores, should cost? ...Under $10/US?

The Vishnu octal, my first new CPU, took me...probably, 10 years,
which is everything and before the octal, listed below, which I bought
-- all being pulled from used systems:

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q8200 SLG9S 2.33GHZ 4MB CACHE 1333MHZ DESKTOP CPU
PROCESSOR
Qty: 1
$24.99
*
USPS First Class Package FREE

INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR E6850 3GHz/4M/1333MHz SLA9U CPU
Qty: 1
tot 12.79

AMD Phenom X4 9550
2.2 GHz Quad-Core HD9550WCJ4BGH CPU Processor
Qty: 1
$29.99
Choose a shipping service FREE
Old September 16th 18, 06:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 9/15/2018 11:57 PM, Flasherly wrote:

Intel: If you have to ask how much then you probably shouldn't.
Effectively, seriously, I've never owned Intel for all of computing.

I now have eight cores in a CPU from AMD. I bought the AMD octal
retail boxed and new. It is now like, both that either1) I have
sixteen cores (quads are still up and running), or, 2) I can have all
eight cores on a single chip.

AMD FX-8320E Vishera 8-Core 3.2GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket

I got a Asus M599X EVO + AMD FX-6300, but the motherboard recently
failed to boot past CPU_LED. After about 10 years of AMD use, I decided
to hop back to Intel in the hope of feeling some differences.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不*錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Old September 16th 18, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 13:36:12 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

I got a Asus M599X EVO + AMD FX-6300, but the motherboard recently
failed to boot past CPU_LED. After about 10 years of AMD use, I decided
to hop back to Intel in the hope of feeling some differences.

My last Asus is the reason I went to Gig-a-Byte. Of course I said
something similar once about a Bio-Star motherboard -- which I bought
for a free software incentive, back when binary streaming was more a
picky business, to include a commercial installment of pre-Symantec
Norton Ghost;- the BioStar MB ran AMD's first slotted prototype Athlon
at 1.2Ghz, maybe slower. Biostar's total nightmare in Hardware City.
And the people said then told me I had no business bad-mouthing
BioStar, that there are rotten, as well as good, in every barrel of
apples that gets booted over.

At that near that time I also came to run exclusively with Asus,
making the switch to Gigabyte due to eventual issues that arose on an
Intel-based platform, more than likely also to have followed in
preference for AMD, due largely to a positive reception of Gigabyte
stability and longevity.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your FX-6300. It's a CPU,
probably, built temperately more or less to last fifty years. Maybe
you'll get lucky and see a primo MB AM3+ socket configuration for that
95W Vishera. Gigabtye used to promote their MB specs for industrial
abuse - inconsistently slamming them with dirty voltages, say in the
center of some dirty automotive garage, engineered for protection from
corrosive atmospheric filth, and moisture from constant exposure to
equatorial high humidity. That sounds good to me so far and I like.

Say it is a favor not to get another Asus. Hypothetically you could
then use that extra money, saved from a Gigabyte, and treat some
friends to fancy dishes of restaurant cuttlefish, broiled octopus or
some nice snake, maybe eel or turtle soup.
Old September 16th 18, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 9/16/2018 3:56 PM, Flasherly wrote:

Say it is a favor not to get another Asus. Hypothetically you could
then use that extra money, saved from a Gigabyte....

I have an older Asus M3N78-PRO that's still working fine. That board
does NOT have CPU_LED! I think the FX-6300 still works, just that the
motherboard's diagnostic function is stopping the POST. If I could
disable that diagnostic function, the board might boot fine.

... and treat some friends to fancy dishes of restaurant
cuttlefish, broiled octopus or some nice snake, maybe
eel or turtle soup.

I am NOT that rich! And my friends and classmates are NOT poor!

Old September 16th 18, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 00:39:47 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

I think the FX-6300 still works, just that the
motherboard's diagnostic function is stopping the POST.

I'll bet you a whole broiled octopus it does.
Old September 16th 18, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

wrote:

I think the FX-6300 still works, just that the
motherboard's diagnostic function is stopping the POST.

I'll bet you a whole broiled octopus it does.

Reminded me of those ink cartridges with chips...

Old September 16th 18, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 01:26:38 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

Reminded me of those ink cartridges with chips...

I've only had it twice, twice to tell the difference between when its
cooked right or not. Very fresh and a restaurant with only an
excellent reputation. I like squid and cuttlefish so much the first
octopus tasted superb.
Old September 17th 18, 05:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Flasherly wrote:
I like squid and cuttlefish so much the first
octopus tasted superb.

I liked Korean beef so much I had to try an octopus dish. She
said, do you like it "hot"? Are you sure? I said yes, just make
it the way it is supposed to be. I found it "hot" on a level I
had not experienced before. It was not jalapeno-pepper hot. It
just "had a heat that got worse and wouldn't stop". I couldn't
enjoy very much of it--lesson learned. It was until last year
when visiting Florida when I learned my next such lesson. I
ordered black fin "shark" from the fish counter. I could have
possibly eaten it, but I gave up before the end of the first byte.