What's a good bargain in 3D gaming graphics card?

Old July 20th 05, 04:01 AM
Doc

Default What's a good bargain in 3D gaming graphics card?

what's a good "bang for
the buck" gaming video card for PC? I don't have to have the latest
greatest, it can be an older card, just something that supports 3D
graphics and that I'm likely to find for a bargain on eBay. Under $100
ideally, under $50 would be even better.

The
particular games I'm fooling with are Novalogic F-16/F-22/MiG combat
plane games. The onboard video works but doesn't support 3-D. I'm
running a Compaq PIII 933mhz w/WinXP home.

Thanks for all shared wisdom.

Old July 20th 05, 06:30 AM
mangyrat

ok if i remember right the Compaq PIII 933mhz was a pci slot only sys with
the built in video saying it was agp but you dont have a agp slot so you
need a pci video card. and right in your price rang is the GeForce FX
5700LE 128MB. goes for $103.99 shiped from newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...TT=Video+Cards

as for the rest of your sys you know you realy need more ram " as much as
the old sys will hold 512 or 720 megs" max out the ram and if you can get a
cpu the best the board will work with, i think the old compaq 933 was called
a 5000 or somthing like that and the board would work with a celeron1.2 gig
or 1.4 gig cpu but im not shur.
but even if you dont want to upgrade the mem and cpu the video card i linked
to will work for your needs.

k.net...

Old July 20th 05, 06:38 AM
mangyrat

ops forgot its a low profile card but you can make it work if you have to.
other than that card its fx 5200 and they wil also work but not as good.

Old July 20th 05, 01:25 PM
Cuzman

mangyrat wrote:

" ...and right in your price rang is the GeForce FX 5700LE 128MB. goes
for $103.99 shiped from newegg.com "

....and that is a 64-bit card clocked at 250/400.

The FX5500 is a 128-bit card clocked at 270/400, which will be twice as
good. It's also cheaper than the 64-bit FX5700LE.

Old July 20th 05, 03:17 PM
Tod

I was able to get a used ATI 9600 128MB AGP card for $41 (including
shipping) off Ebay.
Also a Nvidia 5200 Ultra is a good cheap card.

Old July 20th 05, 04:39 PM
mangyrat

i missed the 64 bit part my bad.
i overlooked the 5500fx for some reason.

Old July 20th 05, 04:51 PM
mangyrat

i think he has a pci slot only sys. most likly a compaq 5000 with no agp
slot. so no ati 9600 or 9700.
best bet so far is the 5500fx

Old July 20th 05, 05:49 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Doc" wrote in message
k.net...

what's a good "bang for
the buck" gaming video card for PC? I don't have to have the latest
greatest, it can be an older card, just something that supports 3D
graphics and that I'm likely to find for a bargain on eBay. Under $100
ideally, under $50 would be even better.

The
particular games I'm fooling with are Novalogic F-16/F-22/MiG combat
plane games. The onboard video works but doesn't support 3-D. I'm
running a Compaq PIII 933mhz w/WinXP home.

Thanks for all shared wisdom.

If you are a gamer, stop cross-posting to the matrox group. We are all
power-user hardcore professionals here. We don't play games and have other
priorities for our graphics cards other than 3D frame rates.

ss.

Old July 20th 05, 07:58 PM
Larry Roberts

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:49:23 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
wrote:

"Doc" wrote in message
nk.net...

what's a good "bang for
the buck" gaming video card for PC? I don't have to have the latest
greatest, it can be an older card, just something that supports 3D
graphics and that I'm likely to find for a bargain on eBay. Under $100
ideally, under $50 would be even better.

The
particular games I'm fooling with are Novalogic F-16/F-22/MiG combat
plane games. The onboard video works but doesn't support 3-D. I'm
running a Compaq PIII 933mhz w/WinXP home.

Thanks for all shared wisdom.

If you are a gamer, stop cross-posting to the matrox group. We are all
power-user hardcore professionals here. We don't play games and have other
priorities for our graphics cards other than 3D frame rates.

ss.

Maybe a Maxtrox Parhelia would be on topic!
Old July 20th 05, 11:30 PM
pongespob

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

If you are a gamer, stop cross-posting to the matrox group. We are all
power-user hardcore professionals here. We don't play games and have

other
priorities for our graphics cards other than 3D frame rates.

Are you saying noone uses Matrox cards for gaming?

Do you have to be a ****y asshole to use a Matrox card or is that just an
added bonus you bring with you?