Dual Channel DDR Frame rates

Old September 19th 03, 06:55 PM

Default Dual Channel DDR Frame rates

Anyone know what the frame rate differences on new games between having 512MB of RAM
or 1024MB of RAM and the difference with single vs dual channel ddr333 with a 333 FSB CPU
like the Athlon XP 2800. I would be using the A7N8X but not the 400FSB athlon XP 3000
because it costs too much. Anyone got some actual test scores comparing the RAM setups
because its like $200 difference between the high and low setup with RAM. Possibly the fps
difference on games like the betas of Doom3 and Half Life 2 since they are a good example
of what to expect a new game to benefit from. I would use Corsair RAM unless otherwise
convinsed...
So...
1. Difference between 512MB and 1024MB
2. Difference between single vs dual channel ddr333.
Thanks.

Old September 19th 03, 10:15 PM
Bas Ruiter

Anyone know what the frame rate differences on new games between having 512MB of RAM
or 1024MB of RAM

I doubt it would be very much, if any.

... and the difference with single vs dual channel

If I recall (from last December when I was looking) it's something like
3%. Peanuts in other words.

I would [not] be using the ... 400FSB athlon XP 3000 because it costs too much.

Back in may I got a 'regular' Athlon 1700+ Thoroughbred for EURO 63
which officially runs at 133MHz (266 DDR) if I recall. But I overclock
the FSB so it runs at 200MHz (400 DDR), in sync with the memory and
lowered the multiplier accordingly.

Later I also overclocked the processor to c how far it would go, and
it's been running at 1900 real MHz (nearly 2400+ performance) for months
now. I could run it at 2000 real MHz if I lowered the FSB a little, but
I don't really see the need.

Increasing the FSB *will* get you a better FPS. Because you run the FSB
in sync with the memory your overall system performance will also
improve. (OK, you were going to do the latter anyway, but with 333 DDR).

I won't give you any performance/benchmark results, cause my videocard
sux big time (it's a TNT2), hardly representative.

--
Bas Ruiter

e-Mail:
www: