19" or 21" CRT Recommendations Please

Old June 23rd 03, 03:19 PM
Dan

Default 19" or 21" CRT Recommendations Please

Hi,

Anyone care to recommend a good 19" or 21" CRT for use as my main monitor
with my Parhelia card. 18"+ LCD's still to pricy and the colour and quality
isn't as good as a CRT so only looking for CRT's at the moment (my other 2
monitors are LCD).

Cheers

Old June 23rd 03, 05:35 PM
Sheila Hoffman

Having just researched this topic I do have some info to offer. I'd suggest talking to Jim at www.monitorsdirect.com . He doesn't work on commission and is VERY knowledgable and helpful.

Here are my notes from talking to him:
THE best color: aperture grill, CRT conernerstone P1750; 22" uses mitsubitshi electronics for $649;

If you don't like aperture grill and want a shadow mask instead or if that's more than you want to spend, the best choice is 19" Hitachi CM721F for only $266; plus shipping $25.82

Both these brands offer 3 year advance replacement warrenty meaning if something goes wrong they send you a replacement BEFORE you send in the faulty monitor.

Good luck,
Sheila

Old June 23rd 03, 06:00 PM
Arthur Hagen

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

Anyone care to recommend a good 19" or 21" CRT for use as my main monitor
with my Parhelia card. 18"+ LCD's still to pricy and the colour and

quality
isn't as good as a CRT so only looking for CRT's at the moment (my other 2
monitors are LCD).

One thing I would look at is what the recommended and maximum resolutions
are for the displays -- you can find 19" monitors that aren't meant to do
better than 1280x1024@75Hz, while others do 1600x1200@85Hz as the
recommended resolution, and can be pushed even higher. CRTs are usually
going to be blurry and might even have a shorter life if you push them
higher than what's recommended. I'd also recommend a flat faced monitor,
even though you pay a bit more. They're MUCH nicer to use.

Unfortunately, Sony has stopped producing 19" CRTs, and the 21" ones are way
to expensive. The Mitsubishi/Nec monitors seem like a good buy these days,
as they have the same Trinitron tech as the Sony displays, and are very
reasonably priced. Ilyama Visionmaster monitors are also quite popular, and
good value, but I've seen problems reported using them with the Parhelia.
If you don't want aperture grille (Trinitron and similar) monitors, but
shadow mask, ViewSonic makes some that are pretty good value.

To replace my aging 19" Sony, I read all I could find of reviews and user
experiences, and looked at the prices, and decided to go with a Mitsubishi
DP930SB for $305. The price difference between good 19" and 21" monitors
didn't seem like it was worth it to me, and the cheap 21" monitors are quite
frankly not good enough.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old June 24th 03, 01:14 PM
Arthur Hagen

"Arthur Hagen" wrote in message

To replace my aging 19" Sony, I read all I could find of reviews and user
experiences, and looked at the prices, and decided to go with a Mitsubishi
DP930SB for $305.

It turned out I made a BAD choice with the Diamond Pro 930SB, which I
received yesterday. This monitor is no better than the very cheapest ones,
and in many respects worse:

- The recommended resolution of 1600x1200@85Hz is blurry -- I have to use
75Hz or 1280x960 to get rid of the blurriness. If installing the monitor
..inf file from Mitsubishi or Windows Update, the 1600x1200@85Hz setting
disappears, indicating that Mitsubishi/Nec knows about this problem.
- The display is vibrating, mostly vertically.
- It has a max operating temperature of 90F, which is quite clearly too low,
especially since the monitor isn't energyStar compliant and puts out huge
amounts of heat itself.
- The difference between a cold and a warm monitor is higher than on any
other monitor I've seen the last 10 years -- when cold, the picture is half
an inch taller than when warm.
- There seems to be little or no reflective coating.
- The edges of the plastic surrounding the display are highly reflective,
causing a quite irritating reflection around the display.
- The manual is terse, badly translated, doesn't match the monitor's
functions, and lacks any kind of explanations.

The aging Sony that it replaced had none of these problems (it was suffering
from old age, where the picture was washed out), so I know it's the monitor
and not the gfx card.
My hope now is that MonitorDirect's return policy allows me to exchange it
for something better. Cause this, quite frankly, is pathetic.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old June 25th 03, 03:09 AM
horwinkle

I tend to like Sonys for quality of picture and long-life.
I prefer the largest screen possible, so I lean toward the 21" over the 19".

Lease-return monitors that are 3 years old are commonplace.
I got a Sony 19" for my daughter a year ago for $177 on eBay.
You can get 21" Sonys for under $300.

.. .

Old June 25th 03, 04:44 AM
Arthur Hagen

"horwinkle" wrote in message
.. .
I tend to like Sonys for quality of picture and long-life.
I prefer the largest screen possible, so I lean toward the 21" over
the 19".

With Sony, there's no choice anymore, as they stopped producing 19" CRTs
back in April.

Lease-return monitors that are 3 years old are commonplace.
I got a Sony 19" for my daughter a year ago for $177 on eBay.
You can get 21" Sonys for under $300.

Question is whether you can live with a low resolution like 1280 width or
flickering at higher resolutions. If you want a steady 1600x1200 or higher
resolution, it's going to cost you quite a bit more than that.

Then again, it depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's web
browsing, games and an occasional video, there's no need to splurge on
higher resolutions and colour correctness, but if you want to work with
graphics programs, or work with half a dozen windows at the same time, it
becomes more essential.
Sometimes it can be better to buy two (or more) less expensive monitors than
one expensive one -- after all, Matrox cards usually give you at least two
video heads.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old July 14th 03, 05:02 PM
Shiranui Gen-An

[...]

Hrm, I got a DP930SB from Dell for about $260 with free shipping. The first
one I got was blurry near the bottom of the screen so I arranged for an
exchange. The second one seems to have improved on the flaws of the first
and has better geometry. 1600x1200@85Hz is a bit blurry on the DP but
frankly it is the same on the Sony CPD-G410R I have sitting next to it. I
installed Naviset which installed the monitor .inf and I still have
1600x1200@85Hz as an option. BTW my video card is a Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB so
I'd imagine if you get a good DP930SB your display would look even better.