Windows OEM musical chairs

Old December 7th 17, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

Default Windows OEM musical chairs

I own one Windows 7 Pro OEM license and one Windows 7 Home OEM license.
The Pro license is currently in use on a computer that doesn't take
advantage of its advantages (specifically its RAM limit of 192 GB. My
new build-in-progress has the Home license installed but not yet
registered. I'd like to up the RAM on the new build to 32 GB, but I
know that Home is limited to 16 GB.

Is it be possible to de-register the Pro license from the old computer
and install it on the new build? I'd install Home fresh on the old
computer, of course. The hardware on the two computers is completely
different.
Old December 7th 17, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Nil wrote:
I own one Windows 7 Pro OEM license and one Windows 7 Home OEM license.
The Pro license is currently in use on a computer that doesn't take
advantage of its advantages (specifically its RAM limit of 192 GB. My
new build-in-progress has the Home license installed but not yet
registered. I'd like to up the RAM on the new build to 32 GB, but I
know that Home is limited to 16 GB.

Is it be possible to de-register the Pro license from the old computer
and install it on the new build? I'd install Home fresh on the old
computer, of course. The hardware on the two computers is completely
different.

I don't do enough of these kinds of things to
really know the answer, but it may require a phone
call to the automated activation server, to get it
done. In problematic cases, you might have to talk
to a human, and plead your case.

The best indicator, is "frequency of installation".
If you've been beating the **** out of the DVD and
installing Windows 7 Home over and over again on its
PC, that counts against you. Even though it is following
the rules, and going onto the same PC, the "activity
counter" keeps track of whether you're doing something
goofy or not.

If the key has been "quiet" for a couple years,
that works in your favor. It means you may be
offered phone activation, rather than having to
talk to a human.

Strictly speaking, going by the rules for system builder
DVDs, you cannot do that. When I did one of these, I
pretended it was a "hardware failure" that caused all
the hardware to be different :-) So I did get away with
it on WinXP on this machine (which went from an Asrock
board to an Asus board), back in the day. It actually
was a hardware failure of a sort - a BIOS issue that
required changing motherboards, so my WinTV card
would work properly. But to the activation server,
it looks like I'm "cheating" on the "one machine only"
rules of installation. OEM is not supposed to be portable
like that. A motherboard model change counts as a
"whole different PC" to Microsoft.

For an OEM System Builder license, these days it's
pretty expensive (from a reputable source). But it
still has those rules attached to it. When I bought
my Win7 Pro System Builder for my newest computer,
it was probably more expensive than when Win7 was
released.

Good luck,
Paul
Old December 8th 17, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Nil wrote:

I own one Windows 7 Pro OEM license and one Windows 7 Home OEM license.
The Pro license is currently in use on a computer that doesn't take
advantage of its advantages (specifically its RAM limit of 192 GB. My
new build-in-progress has the Home license installed but not yet
registered. I'd like to up the RAM on the new build to 32 GB, but I
know that Home is limited to 16 GB.

Is it be possible to de-register the Pro license from the old computer
and install it on the new build? I'd install Home fresh on the old
computer, of course. The hardware on the two computers is completely
different.

Are you asking how to violate the OEM license to work around validation?
This is not a warez, hacking, or pro-piracy newsgroup. There is the
contract (EULA) to which you agreed to use the software and there is
what you can do to get around that contract. You already know the
answer to the former. The latter is discussed elsewhere.

An OEM/System Builder license permanently locks to the first computer on
which it is installed. The OEM license cannot be transferred to another
computer. You pay more for a retail license so you can move it around
to other computers (with only one installed instance of the license
active on only one computer at a time). An OEM license is a contract
between you and the computer maker, not between you and Microsoft.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...strictions.pdf
Old December 8th 17, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:16:43 -0500, Nil
wrote:

I own one Windows 7 Pro OEM license and one Windows 7 Home OEM license.
The Pro license is currently in use on a computer that doesn't take
advantage of its advantages (specifically its RAM limit of 192 GB. My
new build-in-progress has the Home license installed but not yet
registered. I'd like to up the RAM on the new build to 32 GB, but I
know that Home is limited to 16 GB.

Is it be possible to de-register the Pro license from the old computer
and install it on the new build? I'd install Home fresh on the old
computer, of course. The hardware on the two computers is completely
different.

Nothing much musical, when MSFT deliberately doesn't define a score.

The ambiguities, apparently, can be something of a computer
philosopher's Rabbit Hole. For instance, notice how the links diverge
in this article. . .
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...dware-upgrade/
.. . .into, again apparently, how you choose to define your upgrade, as
opposed a significance MSFT imposes upon interpreting OEM and Retail
licensing agreements.

Links which will delve deeper into some discrepancies, and
methodologies permitted, between MSFT and you.

Foremost qualifying an OEM status, which is skewed against you, from
how a Retail presentment is by intent to attract customers to spend
more, for both to be within yet allowable limits, indeed, for which
MSFT [dis]qualifies beyond an update, requiring a user to repurchase,
in entirely, the OS from Square One.

Assume to prepare for the worse. As have others, for consequent
resources, (alluded to in the above links), obviously no less apparent
in your predicament, which may be more or less a matter of shades to a
gray legal area, you're nonetheless more or less given wisely, or
discreetly, to engage.

Will a disgruntled employee or observer run to report you to an MSFT
800-hotline, for illegal activity, for droves of Microsoft lawyers to
descend upon you -- having not updated, say, hardware on your
one-hundred Windows 7 office machines? Depending on a method and
resources available, without direct MSFT oversight, I'll hazard you're
small-fry, inconsequent to a grander scheme of how things actually
work as enforceable, legally binding policies, to the Greater
Copyrightists of the U.S. of A. Self-writs, subsection articles filed
under Alice's Hole, anyway, are now by in large written and bound to
Windows 10 telemetric corporate policing activities;. . .Windows 7,
naaaghhh ... less a solution to the MSFT problem, these days, and just
wall graffiti, where you're on "borrowed time" and limited support.

-
"...there is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that
bends, it is only yourself." -Spoonboy (Matrix)
Old December 8th 17, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 08 Dec 2017, VanguardLH wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Are you asking how to violate the OEM license to work around
validation? This is not a warez, hacking, or pro-piracy
newsgroup.

Heavens!