Moving a pre-installed os?

Old November 27th 17, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default Moving a pre-installed os?

Just ordered a new pc but now think I might want to change out the SSD that it comes with for a larger SSD. Problem is that win10 will be on the original SSD. Can this be moved? Thanks.
Old November 27th 17, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 08:06:25 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

Just ordered a new pc but now think I might want to change out the SSD
that it comes with for a larger SSD. Problem is that win10 will be on
the original SSD. Can this be moved? Thanks.

-
Yes, I would think Microsoft provided support for 3rd party
partnerships would apply, to builders and OEM licensing, such being
within your purchasing agreement. You would of course be advised to
tell Microsoft Support what you intend to do. A matter of questioning
whether or not you expect problems from the migration, should they
arise, which again I should expect Microsoft will intervene to solve
by providing the necessary resources to activate your new operating
system.
Old November 27th 17, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Davej wrote:
Just ordered a new pc but now think I might want to change out the SSD that it comes with for a larger SSD. Problem is that win10 will be on the original SSD. Can this be moved? Thanks.

I'm running off a clone right now,
on my other PC. A Win10 clone. No problem.

As long as the clone is booting on the same
PC as the original installation, you won't
have a problem.

Paul
Old November 28th 17, 11:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PeterC

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 12:22:20 -0500, Paul wrote:

Davej wrote:
Just ordered a new pc but now think I might want to change out the SSD that it comes with for a larger SSD. Problem is that win10 will be on the original SSD. Can this be moved? Thanks.

I'm running off a clone right now,
on my other PC. A Win10 clone. No problem.

As long as the clone is booting on the same
PC as the original installation, you won't
have a problem.

Paul

That's what I did - W7 on HDD, clone via Macrium, put in SSD and away it
went. No mutterings from the OS.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old November 28th 17, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Davej wrote:
Just ordered a new pc but now think I might want to change out the SSD that it comes with for a larger SSD. Problem is that win10 will be on the original SSD. Can this be moved? Thanks.

I'm running off a clone right now,
on my other PC. A Win10 clone. No problem.

As long as the clone is booting on the same
PC as the original installation, you won't
have a problem.

Paul

That's what I did - W7 on HDD, clone via Macrium, put in SSD and away it
went. No mutterings from the OS.

You can still tip one over when cloning.

If you've been making a lot of changes to
hardware, and then you clone, the cloning step
*can* break it. The algorithms aren't documented,
but hardware changes each have a weighting with
regard to de-activating the OS. Normally, disk
cloning (i.e. changing the serial number the
OS is sitting on), counts for little, which is
why you get away with it. But if you just doubled
the RAM, changed the processor from a dual core to
a quad core, then cloned the disk drive from HDD to
SSD and tried to boot... It might tip over.
It would say you have 72 hours to re-activate,
or it could even freeze on you. I've had setups
where the loss of activation caused the OS to
drop dead on me.

Due to the lack of documentation, it's difficult
to be more precise than that.

I can say, that my recent attempts to clone, have
not led to trouble. That means I've stopped changing
hardware enough, for the OS to let me off the hook.

The only attempt at documenting this, is here, for
an old OS. Not every OS after this description,
is guaranteed to behave exactly the same.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Since certain activities receive support from MS,
if your motherboard breaks and you're worried about
moving your copy of Windows 10, you can contact MS
and they can help you. Apparently there is some capability
to move a digital entitlement. I suppose it would help
if you collected all your details (winver, slmgr /dlv,
system control panel) before something like that happens.
Doing so could save you a few bucks, on a new OS.

Paul
Old November 28th 17, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 06:26:50 -0500, Paul wrote:

| Since certain activities receive support from MS,
| if your motherboard breaks and you're worried about
| moving your copy of Windows 10, you can contact MS
| and they can help you. Apparently there is some capability
| to move a digital entitlement. I suppose it would help
| if you collected all your details (winver, slmgr /dlv,
| system control panel) before something like that happens.
| Doing so could save you a few bucks, on a new OS.

You won't always have to contact MS. I changed nearly everything including to a
different brand of motherboard. When Win 10 didn't activate, I opened Activation
Troubleshooter and told it I wanted to switch to the new hardware. It was only a few
seconds before it activated.

Larc
Old November 28th 17, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PeterC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:30:55 -0500, Larc wrote:

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 06:26:50 -0500, Paul wrote:

| Since certain activities receive support from MS,
| if your motherboard breaks and you're worried about
| moving your copy of Windows 10, you can contact MS
| and they can help you. Apparently there is some capability
| to move a digital entitlement. I suppose it would help
| if you collected all your details (winver, slmgr /dlv,
| system control panel) before something like that happens.
| Doing so could save you a few bucks, on a new OS.

You won't always have to contact MS. I changed nearly everything including to a
different brand of motherboard. When Win 10 didn't activate, I opened Activation
Troubleshooter and told it I wanted to switch to the new hardware. It was only a few
seconds before it activated.

Larc

I wonder, in view of Paul's post, if one would always be so 'lucky'.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away