Clean XP - SB Live Platinum 5.1 Install

Old April 9th 04, 12:14 AM
Steve Young

Default Clean XP - SB Live Platinum 5.1 Install

Hi, I'm doing a clean Windows XP Pro install and would like the best shot at
installing the correct SB Live Platinum 5.1 software. The last time I did
this on the same machine, was shortly after XP became available and the SB
software was hit and miss, though I was able to get most of it to work after
much fussing. I began by using the supplied installation disk and then
upgrading from there. Now I see everything has changed on the SoundBlaster
web site. I have been reading this newsgroup periodically for several years,
but of recent haven't seen what is the recommended sequence for the different
softwares available.

Here's how I was going to start. Pull out the SoundBlaster Live card and
disconnect power to the Live Drive, then install Windows XP on a new large
hard drive. The mother board is an ECS K7S5A with an Athlon XP 2600 266 FSB,
512MB DDR. All onboard peripheral stuff will be disabled in BIOS. Once I'm
satisfied the XP load is good then I would proceed with the SB Live install
by inserting the card etc and then proceed with SB software. I would like to
get it as fully functional as possible, am I OK so far, and what steps should
I take from here? Do I need to use the original install disk or will the new
download
software accomplish this?

Thanks a bundle for any comments or helpful links and hints to the process.

Steve Young

Old April 13th 04, 11:38 PM
Steve Young

"Steve Young" wrote

Do I need to use the original install disk or will the
new download software accomplish this?

Here's where I landed: I used the original disk, then without booting,
installed the update unidriver, then rebooted. I installed the other app
updates. Everything seemed to work, including the remote, though I was
missing center channel. BUT, every once in awhile there was a horrid BSOD,
locked tight. So I went back to the start and installed only the unidriver
pack, which does work and also the play center install. Everything seems fine
so far except, I can't update the recorder or remote without having them
already installed. I looked at the installation disk and don't see a way to
install only the recorder and remote so they can be updated. How can one
accomplish this?

I thought maybe I could get just the 2 programs off the original disk and
tried that approach, by unchecking everything but the 2 items. As it got to
the point of install, it noted the 2 apps, along with Windows drivers and a
fourth item I can't find a way to get them without the unwanted drivers,etc
Maybe I'll install the 4 items and then run the unidriver and the 3 app
upgrades I want. Has the SB Live Platinum 5.1 really turned into a 5 buck
sound card on Windows XP? Wasn't very good value if it has

Anyone with any ideas please?

Old April 18th 04, 05:01 PM
Steve Young

Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote
I have no problems at all with my SBlive 5.1 OEM and been playing with the
hacked Audity 2 ZS drivers for it..

Does it includes the Live drive and all? Do you use the remote control?

But you do need a Intel chipset MoBo..

I don't think I have any problem with it either, it's only a matter of
getting there. Unless I load the non-XP drivers from the original install
disk, the unidriver does NOT install the basis for the remote center or the
recorder. Then neither will update from the new files. The next try I will
move the old creative Program Files directory onto the new hard drive,
without installing the old install disk and use only the unidriver, then see
if I can trick recorder and remote center into recognizing a previous
install... who knows? They do work very nicely if it
will install cleanly. The problem comes from having to install the non-XP
round first. I find that something is seemingly left behind that causes
periodic lock ups.

Steve Young