P4 Temperature

Old June 29th 03, 09:57 PM
nECrO

Default P4 Temperature

"Martini" wrote in message
Hello
I have
P4 2.53 Ghz P4 CPU
ASUS P4G8X mobo
AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
1024 mb Dual DDR PC2700 RAM
WD 60 GB driver
465 Watt Eneramx power supply
Win XP Pro
1 Fan blowing air out
one fan inside the case to sort of rotate the air

My mobo temp is generally about 29 degrees
my CPU is about 45 on a regular day, 48-49 on a very hot day. Under load
CPU will hit 62 and mobo will hit 32. Are these temperatures normal? its
not overclocked nor will I ever try to overclock it. I just dont want
hardware degradation due to excessive heat. Any comments?

I assume you mean C and not F. What CPU cooler? If you are using the stock
cooler that came with the CPU those temps would be about right. Try going
here; http://www.coolerguys.com for a better cooler.
nECrO

Old June 30th 03, 12:13 AM
nECrO

"MiniDisc_2k2" wrote in message
Hey I'm using the stock cooler with a Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4GHz @

2.93GHz.
The temperatures haven't risen above 45 deg C yet. They constantly are
around 40. Just because it's what came with it doesn't mean it's bad.
Martini: I'd recommend getting more case fans. I have 2. To quote
SharkyExtreme (www.sharkyextreme.com), "a couple of case fans may do more
than a monstrous CPU cooler." One case fan doesn't seem to be enough to

me.
If the air inside the case is hot, the CPU fan can't do much. A few more
case fans should fix that. Just one will at least get you down about 5
degrees.

I'll agree with the case fan part but I haven't seen a stock cooler yet that
was worth the material used to make it. Are you saying you got a 500+ Mhz
overclock with a stock cooler and haven't gone over 45C? All the case fans
in the world won't make that happen in conjuntion with a stock cooler.
nECrO

Old June 30th 03, 12:17 AM
nECrO

"nECrO" wrote in message

[...]

BTW Where are you getting your temp readings from? If your getting them from
the BIOS or a program like Motherboard momitor 5 add about 20C.

Old June 30th 03, 01:32 AM
kony

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:24:29 -0400, "Martini"
wrote:

Hello
I have
P4 2.53 Ghz P4 CPU
ASUS P4G8X mobo
AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
1024 mb Dual DDR PC2700 RAM
WD 60 GB driver
465 Watt Eneramx power supply
Win XP Pro
1 Fan blowing air out
one fan inside the case to sort of rotate the air

My mobo temp is generally about 29 degrees
my CPU is about 45 on a regular day, 48-49 on a very hot day. Under load
CPU will hit 62 and mobo will hit 32. Are these temperatures normal? its
not overclocked nor will I ever try to overclock it. I just dont want
hardware degradation due to excessive heat. Any comments?

There's nothing wrong with those temps... replace the heatsink only if
yours is too loud (a subjective opinion). The processor is designed
to operate at these temps, so it's not an issue so long as it's
stable, but check the temps of other components in the system.

Dave

Old June 30th 03, 02:36 AM
MiniDisc_2k2

I'm still up there at 3GHz and been running my computer all day, even played
a few 3D games. Right now it's at 38 deg C. Maybe I just got lucky or
something.

Old June 30th 03, 05:08 AM
nECrO

"MiniDisc_2k2" wrote in message

BTW Where are you getting your temp readings from? If your getting them

from
the BIOS or a program like Motherboard momitor 5 add about 20C.

Okay so I'm getting it from the BIOS. So what. After reading your post I
decided to take off the fan and check it out. I put a thermometer up to it
and got 35. I'll add 5 because I know it's not very accurate, but BIOS,
MBM5, SiSoft SANDRA all report a low temperature.

Placed thermometer where? The only place to get an accurate temp is at CPU
core. Being that it is completely covered by your heatsink the only was to
do this is with an electronic sensor. Anything else is very inaccurate. Your
talking about overclocking your CPU by more than 500mhz with a stock cooler.
Either you got the best core Intel ever produced or your full of it. In
which case you shouldn't be giving others advice. The stock coolers bundled
with CPU's(AMD or Intel) are just good enough for general use. You start
pushing that machine or overclocking and that cooler will become useless
fast. 500+ Mhz? Only if I saw it.

nECrO

Old June 30th 03, 07:08 AM
~misfit~

"nECrO" wrote in message
I'll agree with the case fan part but I haven't seen a stock cooler yet

that
was worth the material used to make it. Are you saying you got a 500+ Mhz
overclock with a stock cooler and haven't gone over 45C? All the case

fans
in the world won't make that happen in conjuntion with a stock cooler.
nECrO

My system runs at between 12 and 19 degrees above case temp and it's
overclocked a wee bit with a standard HSF. Highest temp for CPU I've had is
50 C on a hot day under full load.
--
~misfit~

Old June 30th 03, 07:33 AM
kony

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 04:08:55 GMT, "nECrO"
wrote:

[...]

Overclocking to 3GHz won't produce more heat than buying a 3GHz spec'd
processor to begin with (same sink, same cooling). The only real
issue there is how much if any voltage increase was needed, and how
close the processor is to the clock ceiling, how sensitive to slight
temp increase.

In general the 'sinks will allow quite a bit of overclocking (provided
the right CPU to do so) as long as the user isn't overly preoccupied
with ultra-low temps.

Dave

Old June 30th 03, 08:12 AM
Ken

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:25:29 GMT, "MiniDisc_2k2"
wrote:

Hey I'm using the stock cooler with a Pentium 4 Northwood
2.4GHz @ 2.93GHz. The temperatures haven't risen above
45 deg C yet. They constantly are around 40.

That's okej.
http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/docs/pchw91se.html

Old July 1st 03, 01:46 AM
Stacey

nECrO wrote:

[...]

I'm under 50C full load with one rear fan/stock cooler and running 2.9 on a
2.53. The stock P4 coolers seem to be plenty.
--

Stacey