How do I use built-in fonts in a Postscript printer (Brother HL-5250DN)

Old March 15th 06, 12:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default How do I use built-in fonts in a Postscript printer (Brother HL-5250DN)

I am using a Brother Postscript printer with the CUPS 'driver' from my
Mac.

Most of my questions are not specific to this printer.

(1) How does an application determine which fonts are built-in to the
printer, and therefore do not need to be sent to the printer along with
the text?

(2) Is there a list of font substitutions stored somewhere (can't find
it in the PPD) so is it stored in the printer? The list of built-in
fonts printed by the printer diagnostics does not include the standard
Postscript fonts, but include some fonts with very similar
(indistinguishable?) shapes, which are presumably Brother's 'emulations'
of the standard fonts. Presumably these are printed when an application
calls for one of the standard fonts, so where is the list of
substitutions?

(3) What is the actual list of substitutions for the Brother printer?

This page
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-l...-Jul/2890.html
says that the replacements appear to be

Adobe Brother
================== =====================
AvantGarde Atlanta
Bookman Brussels
Courier Brougham
Helvetica Helsinki
Helvetica-Narrow Helsinki-Narrow
NewCenturySchoolbook Copenhagen [? not too sure of this one]
Palatino Portugal
Symbol BR Symbol
Times Tennessee
ZapfChanceryMedItalic CalgaryMediumItalic
ZapfDingbats BR Dingbats

but this just seems to be a guess based on visual examination.

(4) There are some built-in fonts that do not correspond to the standard
Postscript fonts (like Connecticut which is a script font and Oklahoma
which is sans serif with quite a large contrast between thick and thin
strokes) so how do I use these - Brother don't seem to provide any fonts
on their installation disc?

I have tried speaking to the Brother help desk, but all they said was
that the build-in fonts are really for MS-DOS applications, and Windows
applications don't really use them because they print through GDI. If I
wanted to print some of the built-in fonts, then I should just Google
for the font names and he was sure that I could just download the fonts
or something similar. After trying to ask different questions for about
an hour I just gave up.

Tim.